Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I admit I was a little harsh and excessive there. I'll stick to my point though that deciding when, where, and to what degree to deploy force to relieve suffering or effect change is something that your nation - or most nations - rarely has to debate. In the current case, the people of northern Iraq were not pleading with the Canadians to intervene. Nobody asked Germany to drop water and food. It is easy to pass judgment from a position of hindsight. You can clearly see that the role the US should play in world affairs, in policing the world, is one of great debate and heated opinion. This is a debate that your country is not having, never has, and never will.
That's because we're peacekeepers, not bullies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:20 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's because we're peacekeepers, not bullies.
No, it is because your country is not capable of helping and are willing to sit idly by while suffering and injustice takes place. You are militarily weak and morally tenuous.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:51 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,219 times
Quote:
I disagree. Unless the child is a US citizen or otherwise under the protection of the US, this IS none of our business, no matter how tragic it may be. The only argument that I might consider is that we, the US, created the mess in Iraq and now have an obligation to mitigate the human suffering that we unleashed on those people. I have to think about that a little more, though.
A "respected contributor" who supports genocide.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I disagree. We can't stop fear, intimidation, murder, genocide throughout the world. We can't be the police of the world. We can't afford it anymore, and it never works when we play International Police. We've tried. It never ever works.

What we CAN do is be aware that at the first opportunity these animals will infiltrate the United States and will try their damndest to cause death and destruction here.

THAT is the reason to destroy them. Not a helpless child on a mountain top.
There are over 100 "American citizens" fighting with ISIS. At some point they will return to the US, and I doubt it will be with good intentions.

So, you are OK with genocide?

Old 08-09-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
ISIS would like nothing better than to have 50-60 thousand US troops on the ground in Iraq. We have always made great targets. They want to provoke us and draw us in. That's the best way they can kill us.
Who put the target on our back?

If our troops were allowed to do their job without having restrictions put on them and not being adequately equipped and told to "play nice", we could kick butt. Since Vietnam our military has been burdened with all kinds of "rules and regulations" on how to "engage" the enemy.

Our military wasn't created to build roads, houses, and find running water but that seems to be part of the "job" - nation building. The military is meant to defend this country and go after known enemies who are a threat to our freedom and country and our military should be given the ability to use full force to do so.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Where are the renowned Iranian Revolutionary Guards? After all, this is the Sunni ISIS in a holy war against the Shiite. Iran is supposed to be the seat of Shiite Islam. They've been involved in every aspect of Iraqi government but when in comes to fighting, Where are they when it matters?
They are sitting back puffing on their Cuban cigars and watching this unfold.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Relax. The world does not expect you Canadians to do anything but act like cowards as usual. Your nation does not have to sweat and fret and examine its values when there is terrible evil in the world that the US might be able to stop.
WOW. Are you also attacking every other country that isn't eager to jump on board the American Going to War Train?? How many times has China got on that train? Countries are tired of being dragged into wars the US starts. Americans are war-tired.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:59 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
Quote:
Relax. The world does not expect you Canadians to do anything but act like cowards as usual. Your nation does not have to sweat and fret and examine its values when there is terrible evil in the world that the US might be able to stop.
For real, Canadians always hide when the going gets tough.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:07 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
It is none of our business. We are not the defenders of Christianity. We defend the United States and her citizens.
Since when? Last I checked, our southern border was being invaded.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:50 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
We're only suppose to care about the Christians and not, for example, the Yazidis? That doesn't seem very Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies