Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 06:55 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
There is no justification in harming innocent folks that had nothing to do with the situation. Whether you're black, white, green, or from the planet Jupiter! NONE!!!
There is no reason to harm the innocent of any ethnicity. Sadly, stuff like this is going to happen. As for why, I can only say this. If one is to think rationally, one would not go after those who haven't done anything to anyone. You would go after the person who is guilty.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Shortsighted selfishness and tragedy of the commons. Individuals get the "fun" of rioting and getting their anger out breaking stuff plus any material goods they manage to steal in the chaos, the entire community collectively pays for the aftermath.
Selfishness is nothing new. There is an "I'm getting mine and forget everyone else". There is no feeling of "community". What do you do with those who only look out for #1?

Old 08-11-2014, 07:00 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And 22 inch rims evidently. What really made me laugh is the rocket scientists who only grabbed one rim. What're you going to do with ONE RIM?
sell it

Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techninja View Post
I will hark back to anthony from O And A. A bunch of animals. Looting a rioting is sure to bring that young man back. If I was the officer in question I would have done the same. When a majority of the black population act like animals what do you expect?
Back that up with evidence. Prove that the majority of Blacks(51% or more) act like animals. Don't show me videos. Show me actual empirical evidence that the majority of Blacks act like criminals.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:44 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Back that up with evidence. Prove that the majority of Blacks(51% or more) act like animals. Don't show me videos. Show me actual empirical evidence that the majority of Blacks act like criminals.
They don't it's an issue of poverty and broken families as a historic byproduct of racism. (even though it does still exist, the biggest damage IMO is the legacy anymore.)

There will always be racial idiots of every color. Thankfully there are fewer and fewer.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techninja View Post
I will hark back to anthony from O And A. A bunch of animals. Looting a rioting is sure to bring that young man back. If I was the officer in question I would have done the same. When a majority of the black population act like animals what do you expect?
Your user name should be cowardninja. or uneducatedninja.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They don't it's an issue of poverty and broken families as a historic byproduct of racism. (even though it does still exist, the biggest damage IMO is the legacy anymore.)

There will always be racial idiots of every color. Thankfully there are fewer and fewer.
The majority do not act like that, agreed. The criminal behavior is to be found mainly with the underclass. Broken families, shortage of fathers in the home, bad mentality, all contribute.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:56 PM

515 posts, read 1,347,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And unfortunately, statistics prove that black men and adolescents are stopped much more often than those of other races so there is a higher likelihood that something will occur during one of those stops.
You fail to also say what other statistics show. Crime rates are higher in low income areas, which in a large number of places are communities with a substantial minority population. Blacks suffer higher victimization rates than whites, and a very disproportionate number of blacks are convicted of crimes and sent to prison. When it comes to violent crimes like homicide, the victimization and offender rate for blacks is even higher compared to whites.

What does all that mean? It means that the police are going to put more resources into high crime areas. There are going to be more officers in those areas and where there are more officers, there are going to be more stops and contacts. Since the high crime areas are frequently in minority neighborhoods, there are going to be more officers in those neighborhoods contacting people in those neighborhoods. It's simply a matter of putting the police where the crime is. Every effective law enforcement agency should allocate their resources where they are most needed based upon crime trends.

The true facts of this case have yet to come out but if the officer shot this man while his hands were up and he posed no threat, the officer will (and should) go to prison. It's as simple as that. It doesn't matter what color he is, as everyone has the same right not to be shot by the police if they aren't an immediate threat to a person's life.

That said, it's incorrect to say that he was "profiled." If he was walking in the street instead of on the sidewalk, the officer had every right to stop and question him for committing a violation of pedestrian traffic law. There was nothing at all wrong with that. What happened after the stop is where the issue lies.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The majority do not act like that, agreed. The criminal behavior is to be found mainly with the underclass. Broken families, shortage of fathers in the home, bad mentality, all contribute.
Bingo.

To the innumerate and uneducated, they spot race and blame that instead of simple poverty and broken homes.

But hey, what do I know....apparantly I'm a racist because after this tragedy I applauded an FBI investigation and didn't take sides immediately after getting "informed" by tweets and blogs and youtube videos of people claiming to be witnesses that I'm not sure even live in that state.

Seems like some people have no appreciation for the term "lynch mob" or rather only dislike it when it applies to other pigments.

Anytime people give into this......you get pogroms, you get genocides, you get massacres.....doesn't matter if it's rwanda, cambodia, USA, Europe.....anywhere. Can be white on white, black on black, Sunni muslim on Shiite muslim, Asian on Asian, Christian on "witch" or any number of other combos.

It's wrong.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:31 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
The most critical question to ask here is "how do we stop this from occurring again/elsewhere?"

IMO you do a few things.

First, have the cops wear cameras. We really don't know what happened when this kid got shot. With photographic recordings it might never have happened, and if it did either there would be a clear record of it being appropriate or not: the former can be released to the public immediately to quiet things down and in the latter case it can drive disciplinary action and prevent the cops from protecting their own right or wrong if there's video evidence of wrong.

Second, when a riot and looting does occur anyway, a large part of the problem are people who are taking advantage of the chaos and perceived likelihood to get away with it and would never have the guts to commit theft or arson in normal circumstances. The way you deter this in the future is by sparing no expense in tracking down the people who did this stuff during the riot and when you do catch them nail them as hard as you possibly can - maximum sentences, no plea deals - and publicize each successful prosecution again as much as is possible.

Of course, this is all hard to do after the fact because of the breakdown of trust on both sides, and then if you wait too long the urgency to get something done goes away, so it's one of those things where it's very clear what the response should be and much more difficult to actually implement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies