Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 06:29 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
......and?

Does this mean Republicans will do something to help the black community?

(I doubt it.)
Lessee....You made this political, let's turn it back to where it should go, to the parents of the kids who are performing worse than kids who didn't grow up speaking English. How often do parents of black children work with them and their education? Very little, none? It only takes 30 minutes out of your day to touch base on this stufff with your kids; make the time.
I am curious to see where they were failing - spelling, describing defining the different types of grammar of everything across the board.

The real kicker? The state legislature doesn't really care about education in the state. Why? The federal government has total control of that now as the states don't receive federal momies unless they turn full control over to the federal government. It's known as K-12, Common Core or extortion.

Why exactly are adult males needed in the schools there and no where else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 06:32 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times
Anyone have national statistics.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Color me surprised. (Not)

Old 08-10-2014, 06:54 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

As for why African American's struggle so much... tough to say for sure. Social constructs have likely lead to less expectations of black Americans and that lead to them feeling less of a need to preform. I could be wrong there however, I'm not an expert.
I tend to agree with Ogbu's voluntary versus involuntary minority theory on education.

A bit on his theory:

Immigrant vs. Involuntary Minorities (Ogbu)

Immigrant vs. Involuntary Minorities (Ogbu)

Definition
Wells, Jacquelyn J.

John Ogbu, a Nigerian-American anthropologist, questioned the academic performance of minorities in American schools. He asked why some minorities succeed in American schools and some do not. He found a link between the students' identity of self and school performance. Minorities in the US, he concluded, are affected by their access to their racial heritage, culture, and language. After extensive studies in the Oakland, CA public schools, he found that there are two types of immigrant groups. (Ogbu 1978) Ogbu interviewed the parents of the minority children and found that parental involvement in learning, or lack of, plays an instrumental role in student performance.

Involuntary Minorities or Castelike Minorities are those who have been incorporated into society against their will. These groups have been systematically exploited throughout centuries, therefore their culture has been depreciated from slavery and colonization.(Diaz-Rico & Weed 2010) Because of long periods of discrimination, this group harbors a distrust of the host country's institutions, such as school. Involuntary minorities, due to discrimination and loss of identity, can have an oppositional approach to schools. Some students in this category feel as if the teachers treat them unfairly or they are not liked by the teaching staff. Some stuies suggest that these students can feel disconnected from the school's curriculum. Ogbu's interviews with the parents found that the parents mistrusted schools and teachers. Parents may feel that academic success will never help their child progress economically. (Jaynes 2005)

Voluntary Minorities chose to immigrate to the host country and they view the society in a positive way. This group takes an instrumental approach to the host country's institutions of schooling. They view schooling in terms of what they can get out of it. This group sees the school's teachers as experts. Though this group faces racial or religious discrimination, they do not internalize the mistreatment. Voluntary minorities attempt to adapt to the dominate culture and see this change as positive. They are willing to learn accept the cultural norms of the dominant group. (Foster 2004) Ogbu found that the families of this group encourage their children's academic performance.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:09 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
i put the blame on peer pressure

Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Does anyone doubt that we could produce similar statistics for black students (and Hispanic too) when it comes to mathematics? This is all part and parcel of how minorities are screwed over by the public education system. There are solutions right in front of our faces, but the public sector unions and Democrats have thus far been able to largely block them.

Harlem Success Academy | Diane Ravitch's blog

Old 08-10-2014, 07:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
This is actually true, but I think it only pertains to male students.
I was actually debating someone about this on Twitter a few weeks ago. They produced a study and to his chagrin it said that black male teachers have little affect on test scores or outcomes. What I suspect does happen though is that black male teacher may have an easier time controlling the classroom.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:12 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
And white students in Charleston only performed "14 and 33 percent higher" than ESL students. That is shameful. But hey, a thread that disparages minorities from EdrawdA!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:15 PM

41 posts, read 30,345 times
it has nothing to do with the education system, i believe us has way better education system than china, the problem is how much effort the parents/students are willing to put to help their children/themselves to be successful academically.
its awkward to me that americans are so used to blaming personal failure on external factors rather than themselves. when i was preparing for GRE test, no public school would teach that, i studied 16 hours a day for 2 months straight.
Nobody taught me spanish, i taught myself.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
And white students in Charleston only performed "14 and 33 percent higher" than ESL students. That is shameful. But hey, a thread that disparages minorities from EdrawdA!
LOL

Nah, certain demographics excuse the low test scores from their own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies