Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 02:59 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

What's next?

"You didn't prove that you purchased the requisite amount of broccoli for the year. You are being assessed an additional tax penalty of $5,000. Next year, try to eat healthier."

That's where you're headed with beliefs like the one you published above. THINK about what you're promoting! This is (and has always been) the problem with liberal philosophy. Everything is a knee-jerk reaction with virtually no thought whatsoever put into the longer term ramifications of the policy or what the logical conclusion of a line of action will be.
Agreed

why not create a law that every celebrity who dies from an OD has to forfeit their entire estate to drug re-hab facilities. Smokers who die from lung cancer have their estates donated to schools, and fat people who die from heart disease have a fat tax deducted from their estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 03:11 PM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The only "freedoms" Conservatives believe in are:

1) Freedom to make the rich richer while everyone else goes to hell.
2) Freedom to discriminate, especially against Blacks and Latinos.
3) Freedom to be a bigot.
4) Freedom to perpetuate war and "spread democracy" abroad.
5) Freedom to attack sovereign nations, who pose no imminent threat and have not provoked.
6) Freedom to support Israel unconditionally and their continued intrusion on Arab land.
7) Freedom to tell women what to do with their bodies.
8) Freedom to suppress the vote.
9) Freedom to Gerrymander.
10) Freedom to lie, deceive, and engage freely in deceptive marketing of the Conservative agenda.
11) Freedom to pretend as if Bush didn't happen.
12) Freedom to break Congress.
13) Freedom to corrupt the Supreme Court.
14) Freedom to obstruct the President because he's Black.
15) Freedom to displace American workers with foreign labor to maximize profit.
...and so forth.

The types of "freedoms" they stand for have NEVER been right for this society, even during Slavery times.
You're still around? I figured the REAL LexisNexis would have sent C-D a C&D over your user name by now. Surely you are familiar with the phrase "confusingly similar", considering your profession...

Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Here are some of the freedoms that i cherish as a liberal:

• freedom of religion such as Wicca, Muslim, etc
  • freedom of speech
  • freedom for women to do what they want with their bodies- including D and Cs (i.e., pregnancy termination)
  • freedom to use birth control
  • freedom to engage in prostitution
  • freedom to marry whomever wants to marry you and vice versa
  • freedom of information
  • freedom to put whatever you want in your body such as marijuana
  • freedom of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
  • freedom from oppression
  • freedom of self-protection
  • And many more . . . .

Most "conservatives" that i know believe in "the freedom of the second amendment," and then maybe half of the list above if lucky.
You're confused, because most liberals don't believe half of what you believe. You sound more libertarian, like me, than a typical liberal.

There's nobody taking away a woman's right to use birth control, nor to have an abortion. They only want late term abortions to end (with good reason), and the public to stop subsidizing them (also with good reason)

If people truly want freedom they have to be responsible for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
why not create a law that every celebrity who dies from an OD has to forfeit their entire estate to drug re-hab facilities. Smokers who die from lung cancer have their estates donated to schools, and fat people who die from heart disease have a fat tax deducted from their estate
Be careful! You might actually be writing a play book for them.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:22 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

If people truly want freedom they have to be responsible for themselves.
This is so important.

People mistake rights as being a privilege. They're not. Your rights are a responsibility. The government does not actually care about your rights. If you don't want to lose your freedom of speech, fight for it. It's that simple. Freedom is a challenge, not a promise. You don't just get rights, you earn them. If you're lucky, someone else ensured you'd have them but you can't assume that's going to last forever.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Sugar is being talked about as a toxic substance by a lot of nutritionists, doctors, and researchers. We already "control peoples behavior" when it comes to alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana, so I don't think it's unreasonable to consider some controls on sugar consumption.
Why was it ever reasonable to control any of this in the first place?

And just because you have some unreasonable ideas, doesn't mean adding more to it is any less unreasonable.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
There is no irony, actually.

Conservatives what no rules. They want "freedom" to infringe on the rights of others. They want "freedom" to do whatever the hell they want, society be darned.
Prove it.

I'm a conservative. Now tell us what I want and how I intend to infringe your rights.

This should be really entertaining, because you'll be wrong about everything...

Old 08-11-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:

5) Freedom to attack sovereign nations, who pose no imminent threat and have not provoked.
6) Freedom to support Israel unconditionally and their continued intrusion on Arab land.
10) Freedom to lie, deceive, and engage freely in deceptive marketing of the Conservative agenda.
...and so forth.

The types of "freedoms" they stand for have NEVER been right for this society, even during Slavery times.

You never fail to make mass personal attacks on everyone, do you?

You never fail to be wrong, either.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:56 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
how can liberals who love to create laws to "protect people from themselves" consider themselves to be freedom loving?
If you read any of the things I consider a freedom and am in favor of, you would see i don't support such laws nor do we as a group.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:14 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:

There are Republicans and Democrats who are contributing to a less socially mobile society. It's not the fault of one party.

Quote:
Examples?

Also, this isn't a conservative value, as about 100 years ago, liberals and conservatives alike were against different races and religions.

Quote:
Bigotry is extreme bias and intolerance. Think on that for a moment as you reread your list.

Quote:
Umm... I wasn't aware the liberals had started no wars. I best reread my history books. Who would have thought, huh?

Quote:
I guess my response to that is the same as above.

Quote:
Obama has supported Israel his entire presidency.

Quote:
Not exactly. Since you are clearly talking about abortion, I should probably let you know that the anti-abortion stance does not view a fetus as part of the woman's body, but as a separate body. I guess you can say they are telling women what to do with the body of others?

Quote:
What?

Quote:
This is illegal regardless of political party. Try and remember the the ideas of a party or political philosophy are not defined by their politicians who may deal in corruption. As stated above, since supporting Israel is a non-liberal view, obviously Obama is a traitor to the party and his actions do not matter.

Quote:
Liberals don't do this? Phew, it is a relief to know Obama accepted no corporate money. Although, I seem to recall Obama stating he would require GMO foods to be labeled. Oh well, as long as a GMO lobbyist like Michael Taylor isn't given power in the FDA, I suppose that's still a promise he can keep... oh, wait. But that's not deceptive in anyway of course as only conservatives are deceptive.

Quote:
I've never heard anyone deny Bush's presidency.

Quote:
Ah, yes, because only one party is unwilling to compromise. Gotcha.

Quote:
Has a liberal really never tried to cheat the supreme court?

Quote:
Aside form a small, reactionary faction of the Republican party (or other conservative parties), I don't think this is actually a sweeping problem.

Quote:
Umm, once again, something Obama addressed when he was running but seems to have forgotten about once in office. I get that being president is stressful, but didn't he at least right down his promises? Did he lose his list?

Quote:
Liberal Republicans ended slavery. But prior to that, liberal and conservatives alike had slaves. Were liberals bad up until slavery was abolished? Who would have voted for in the early 1800s?

Old 08-11-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
If you read any of the things I consider a freedom and am in favor of, you would see i don't support such laws nor do we as a group.
Ummm.... you can't lump yourself in as speaking for liberals, and misrepresent them... and then claim to be in opposition to conservatives, while misrepresenting them...and then say you're not be to held to the truth of what modern liberals do.

You provided a LIST of policy items. Period. You defined all of them (most of which were a bit vague) collectively as "freedom" and added the "a lot more". You also broadbrushed conservatives entirely without merit as well.

So, start telling us what your principled beliefs are and why and how all these fit your principled beliefs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies