Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:06 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,799,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManassesMomma View Post
Guns are an investment. They never depreciate, unless they have been neglected.

My dads old double barrel 12 that he has had since before I was born, he probably paid $25 for, is now worth $1200.

I have dads old 50's Sears & Robuck 30.06, because of the chromed barrel and the Mauser action, it is a very sought after and very accurate rifle, The original scope is a plus for collectors. Who knew.
Guns do depreciate, especially new ones. You have to take into account inflation when comparing original purchasing prices to current prices.

Guns are nice of you buy them used and if you treat them well they will retain their value for the most part.

You have to remember, for every gun that has quadrupled in value another is hardly worth it's original purchase price of 30 years ago.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:54 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,799,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt E. View Post
Don't buy junk. I've never seen a Taurus go up in value, nor a Jennings or a Hi-Point etc..

That West German Sig Sauer P-220 .45 and that Les Baer Thunder Ranch 1911........a Wilson CQB, heck even a old Beretta 92FS void of MIM junk parts and uncoated plastic trigger.

People even pay big money for 1st and 2nd Gen Glocks in pristine shape.

Haha remember $80-$100 SKSs?

Sheeet.....$350 now if someone even wants to part with it.
And I can walk into my local gun store and find 60-70 year old shotguns for $150 that probably cost $75 new. Not exactly a great roi. Even the guns you listed, besides the sks, are not worth that much more original price when you take into account real inflation, let alone compared to if that money was invested in an actual real investment (stock market) with actual roi.

I love guns, I buy many many older guns that have gone up in value for me, but that is because I usually buy them bellow market rate to begin with and I never buy new. Guns are a nice hobby that when purchased right retain their value and in some cases increase in value.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:06 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,730,331 times
Quote:
Don't buy junk. I've never seen a Taurus go up in value, nor a Jennings or a Hi-Point etc..

That West German Sig Sauer P-220 .45 and that Les Baer Thunder Ranch 1911........a Wilson CQB, heck even a old Beretta 92FS void of MIM junk parts and uncoated plastic trigger.

People even pay big money for 1st and 2nd Gen Glocks in pristine shape.

Haha remember $80-$100 SKSs?

Sheeet.....$350 now if someone even wants to part with it.
I remeber $400 AKs and $500 ARs....

Old 08-12-2014, 11:51 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,870,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManassesMomma View Post
Guns are an investment. They never depreciate, unless they have been neglected.

My dads old double barrel 12 that he has had since before I was born, he probably paid $25 for, is now worth $1200.

I have dads old 50's Sears & Robuck 30.06, because of the chromed barrel and the Mauser action, it is a very sought after and very accurate rifle, The original scope is a plus for collectors. Who knew.

That's just not true, as much as I wish it were. Guns are a lot like cars.... as soon as you drive them off the lot, they drop significantly in value. You buy a gun, take it home, and take it back a week later to trade in for something else or to re-sell? Your going to be out at least half of what you paid. Unless you can get lucky on the secondary market and find a buyer that wants to pay for what you're selling, or keep the gun until it turns in to an antique { if ever } there's no investment opportunity with guns.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Well, to address your thread, know that some oldtimer paid about $200 back in the 1920s for a real full auto Thompson at a local hardware store. I remember when you could get a nice one for around $2,500.

Those days are long gone.

It would be nice to open up the registry again and see what comes of that.
God..Those old timers had no idea how much freedom they had...What happened?

Old 08-13-2014, 01:36 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,870,842 times
Quote:
Yeah, like the Glock 19 you buy for $479 new and carry and shoot it for a few years. It still brings $400-$450 on the used market..
Yeah, I said you might get lucky on the secondary market if you find someone who wants it. And, even in your own example, you took a loss.... not much of a loss but a loss all the same.... Not much of an investment. Take that G19 to a dealer and see what he offers you.

After you buy a gun new, if you want to sell or trade for a reasonable price your only hope is the used market.... not a dealer.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:57 AM

I cant wait to see the new models for sale and how the prices adjust to the real value..

I mean I bet that MG-42 and other WW2 goodies will retain a great deal of the value.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:13 AM

195 posts, read 153,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Guns do depreciate, especially new ones. You have to take into account inflation when comparing original purchasing prices to current prices.

Guns are nice of you buy them used and if you treat them well they will retain their value for the most part.

You have to remember, for every gun that has quadrupled in value another is hardly worth it's original purchase price of 30 years ago.
Every new gun will be worth more than purchase price in the future. But I do agree with you that the new guns sold just in the last 5 years, were sold at an inflated price.
You are correct. Thanks for pointing it out. I hadn't even though of that, since I have never purchased a new gun. All my guns are hand me downs, or purchased from close friends and uncles & nephews.
The newest gun I have is a Crossman pellet rifle, for stealth dove hunting in the backyard, for supper.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 AM

195 posts, read 153,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
And I can walk into my local gun store and find 60-70 year old shotguns for $150 that probably cost $75 new. Not exactly a great roi. Even the guns you listed, besides the sks, are not worth that much more original price when you take into account real inflation, let alone compared to if that money was invested in an actual real investment (stock market) with actual roi.

I love guns, I buy many many older guns that have gone up in value for me, but that is because I usually buy them bellow market rate to begin with and I never buy new. Guns are a nice hobby that when purchased right retain their value and in some cases increase in value.

Only the old single shot guns or overshot shotguns, go for under $200 around these parts. If it is in decent shape and has a wooden stock, be it a double, pump, or semi-auto, it is going to get $300 unless your pawning it.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,158,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
God..Those old timers had no idea how much freedom they had...What happened?
The disease of liberalism happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.