Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:59 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oh, so a President can just do whatever he wants, if those things are "political in nature." What, exactly does that mean?

How can you say violating the Constitution is not impeachable. How can impeachment for such violations be for purely "political purposes?"

Nixon was impeached. But he resigned before he was tried.
No, of course he cannot do whatever he wants. Congress should protect its power to legislate - I think it should probably have more options than it currently does to do that.

I am saying that impeachment is not a practical solution to political disputes, and Mr. Obama's executive excesses are basically political - What he has done is not criminal in the sense that you or I could do the same and be tried for it. Violation of the Constitutional limits of any branch of government is political because government is inherently political. Now if a President directs subordinates to engage in criminal behavior - that is not a violation of the Constitution, that is a criminal act.

Nixon was not impeached, the House Judiciary Committee was holding impeachment hearings but Nixon resigned before Articles of Impeachment were introduced to the full House for a vote. I would imagine that the senior GOP reps filled him in on just how little GOP support he could bank on.

Quote:
The House Republicans are doing just that with John Boehner's lawsuit. There is no talk of impeachment. But, what remedies do they have, as Tray Gowdy has asked?
I think Mr. Boehner's lawsuit is a good start, given the fact that the Senate is under tight control by a relentless partisan. I would like to see several means of recourse short of impeachment, lawsuits like this one are potentially one of them. Whether it will be successful or not, I can't predict.

Rep. Gowdy made very good points in that speech, points that Reps and Senators of both parties should heed. Personally, I think a lot of the Democrats are living in some kind of fantasy land and thinking that their guy can do as he pleases and the next Republican President will not follow suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I can't stand O-Dummy but the political process has to take its course. The best the Repubs can do is just block him and cause gridlock....every time we have gridlock, the economy booms as there no one in Washington to stop it.

Go gridlock!
I used to tell my boss the same thing when he was complaining about gridlock during the GW Bush years
I figure if they can't do something useful, we're all better off for their doing nothing at all.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:15 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
"He hasn't done anything impeachable?" Are you serious? Or, should I ask, "Are you that blind?"

How about failure to enforce duly enacted laws? How about failure to enforce our immigration laws? How about changing laws unilaterally, on his own, bypassing Congress? (I refer of course to the ACA). How about failure to uphold the Constitution?

Boom: Trey Gowdy Just Roasted Obama To A Crisp On The House Floor And Earned A Standing Ovation

Not blind, just not hyper-partisan like you. Which laws has he failed to enforce? Which President in the last 40 years has enforced our immigration laws? He did not bypass congress in putting the ACA into law. Congress passed it remember? And what part of the constitution has he failed to uphold?

Old 08-12-2014, 02:25 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I can't stand O-Dummy but the political process has to take its course. The best the Repubs can do is just block him and cause gridlock....every time we have gridlock, the economy booms as there no one in Washington to stop it.

Go gridlock!
Yes, like the economy is booming now due to the gridlock
Just so ya know the President can pretty much kill anything the Repubs do even after they win the Senate. So wishing for gridlock is wishing for more of the same, if you think what we have now is good for the Nation you are more than simply confused.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Yes, like the economy is booming now due to the gridlock
Just so ya know the President can pretty much kill anything the Repubs do even after they win the Senate. So wishing for gridlock is wishing for more of the same, if you think what we have now is good for the Nation you are more than simply confused.
Not necessarily - with Sen Reid out of power, there is a good chance of being able to override a veto with a few crossover votes. There are some Democrats in both houses who are wise enough to see the value of truly bipartisan legislation if the GOP is wise enough to seek compromise with them. With Reid not holding them I bet they'll deal.

And if not, well then, President Obama will own the gridlock with his veto, not Congress.

The other possibility is that after Reid went with the nuclear option on judicial confirmation, the GOP could do the same with veto overrides. I would hate to see it, but once one partisan shill opens Pandora's Box others tend to follow suit.

You guys shouldn't be fretting impeachment at all - that last option is the one that should have Democrats waking up in a cold sweat at 3 am

Old 08-12-2014, 03:50 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
I assume most of you wouldn't let a petulant child get away with bad behavior, so I'm sincerely asking, what is your solution to Obama's gross misconduct while occupying the office of the Presidency?
Well, I don't watch Fox Spews, so I live in a different reality than you. I think he should be "dealth with" by allowing him to finish his term. All the righties screaming for impeachment do so because they're spoon fed a load of opinionated BS every day from a political propaganda station.

And if anyone needs to be "dealt with", it should be Bush/Cheney for starting an unnecessary war!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:51 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Not necessarily - with Sen Reid out of power, there is a good chance of being able to override a veto with a few crossover votes. There are some Democrats in both houses who are wise enough to see the value of truly bipartisan legislation if the GOP is wise enough to seek compromise with them. With Reid not holding them I bet they'll deal.

And if not, well then, President Obama will own the gridlock with his veto, not Congress.

The other possibility is that after Reid went with the nuclear option on judicial confirmation, the GOP could do the same with veto overrides. I would hate to see it, but once one partisan shill opens Pandora's Box others tend to follow suit.

You guys shouldn't be fretting impeachment at all - that last option is the one that should have Democrats waking up in a cold sweat at 3 am

1. If (key word if) the GOP gets the majority in the Senate it would be small. They would still need somewhere between 15-17 votes to override a veto and that is if every Republican was on board. Regardless which side is in power, getting 1/3 of the other side to vote with you and override a veto is extremely unlikely. This is true regardless of the Party of the President at the time.

2. Reid worked within the Senate rules to remove the Filibuster for Judicial nominations. No such rules exist to override a veto.

3. Democrats aren't fretting at all about Impeachment. They are using stupid comments about impeachment made by some Congessional Republicans against them.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM

201 posts, read 148,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
I assume most of you wouldn't let a petulant child get away with bad behavior, so I'm sincerely asking, what is your solution to Obama's gross misconduct while occupying the office of the Presidency?
Let his own legacy take care of him.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
2. Reid worked within the Senate rules to remove the Filibuster for Judicial nominations. No such rules exist to override a veto.
You are correct, I'd forgotten that the 2/3 for override is Constitutional rather than a matter of Senate rules. That is actually somewhat of a relief.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconcerned View Post
Let his own legacy take care of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
That they are not doing so should be all the evidence you need as to the sanity of conservatives.

I rather think that the Democrat position should be showing people how insane the liberals remain.
Not yet, predicting the future is difficult. But I think the desire to impeach President Obama will be incredibly strong from conservatives after the election.

I think there is abetted than even chance that conservatives attempt to impeach the president after the elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies