Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 03:51 AM

37,948 posts, read 17,844,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLz.

The price was low when Obama assumed office because of the recession.... supply and demand homie. American is undergoing a massive oil and gas renaissance "under Obama". Production is back to peak historic levels Where have you been? TROLOLOLOLOLOL
sigh... If the supply/demand curve holds true when we have massive production shouldn't prices be going down? Didn't we see this in housing during the boom/bust in real estate? Couldn't have anything to do with the money supply could it? Free money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 04:01 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,254,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
sigh... If the supply/demand curve holds true when we have massive production shouldn't prices be going down? Didn't we see this in housing during the boom/bust in real estate? Couldn't have anything to do with the money supply could it? Free money.
No because Americans are not the only people with demand for oil. Besides, Petch is cherry picking her data point. Gas was cheap when Obama took office - only after dropping like a rock - and that's why she used the data point she used. If gas prices kept up with inflation we would be paying between $4.30 and $4.45 by now.

Historical Gas Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

Old 08-13-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
No because Americans are not the only people with demand for oil.
Of course prices drop when supply increases. How can one argue against that? Thats free market supply and demand 101

Quote:
Besides, Petch is cherry picking her data point. Gas was cheap when Obama took office - only after dropping like a rock - and that's why she used the data point she used. If gas prices kept up with inflation we would be paying between $4.30 and $4.45 by now.

Historical Gas Price Charts - GasBuddy.com
What are you using to gauge inflation? Since Jan '00 gas has increased 176 percent.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Of course prices drop when supply increases. How can one argue against that? Thats free market supply and demand 101
Prices don't drop when demand increases. What do you think China, India, and Brazil are doing with their extra money? Putting it in their mattress? We are currently the #1 producer of oil and will keep that position until around 2030, but much of this is due to shale drilling - which as you know is not the most profitable form of drilling. If we increased supply without having to deal with increased demand or were using traditional oil sources we would have lower prices, but that's not what we are dealing with.

Quote:
What are you using to gauge inflation? Since Jan '00 gas has increased 176 percent.
The inflation calculator.

CPI Inflation Calculator

One of the reasons gas went up so much between '00 and '08 was the weakening dollar. The value of the dollar dropped like a rock while Bush was in office. Between '08 and '14 there has been little change in the value of the dollar, so the inflation adjusted price decrease we experienced has been due to increasing production.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:15 AM

88,930 posts, read 44,757,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
What regulations and restrictions have hurt the wages of working Americans?
The Business Roundtable made that quite clear in a lengthy letter and packet to Obama's OMB Director Orszag:

Letter to Director Orszag on Policy Burdens Inhibiting Economic Growth | Business Roundtable

Includes link to full PDF report.

And, Orszag 2...

Roundtable offers up regs to scrap | TheHill

Old 08-13-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Prices don't drop when demand increases. What do you think China, India, and Brazil are doing with their extra money? Putting it in their mattress? We are currently the #1 producer of oil and will keep that position until around 2030, but much of this is due to shale drilling - which as you know is not the most profitable form of drilling. If we increased supply without having to deal with increased demand or were using traditional oil sources we would have lower prices, but that's not what we are dealing with.

The inflation calculator.

CPI Inflation Calculator

One of the reasons gas went up so much between '00 and '08 was the weakening dollar. The value of the dollar dropped like a rock while Bush was in office. Between '08 and '14 there has been little change in the value of the dollar, so the inflation adjusted price decrease we experienced has been due to increasing production.

That's what I thought. CPI is a joke. It doesn't measure quality. It measures the cost of health care insurance at less than 1 percent when its cost to the average family was close to ten percent. median family income ~52k cost of health care insurance ~4.8k year. Its governments job to keep inflation down. Why would anyone trust them to honestly gauge inflation?

You are correct about the weakening dollar while Bush was in office. That's what happens when you increase the money supply. You are incorrect about it not weakening with Obama in office. Russia and China are moving away from the dollar.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:01 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,726,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
So you earn more than 99 % of the US people and feel the pain of that portion of your earned income that is greater than $400,000 ( individual) $450,000 (couple) being taxed at a higher rate?

While I do appreciate there is a tendency for expenses to increase as income increases, that is by choice.

The Bush tax cuts became permanent for 99% of the people. While permanent implies forever, all it really means is that it does not require a vote to sustain it.
My gross is below average at 43K, and my net after taxes and deductions is only 30K. After the tax cuts expired, I lost $600 a year which was about the amount of my tax refund. That really hurts when you have a lousy net income like me. I fondly remember when Bush actually gave tax money back to ppl.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:
Some of the medicare taxes go up as you hit $250K.
Thank you. I had my blinders on and only focused on income taxes.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
My gross is below average at 43K, and my net after taxes and deductions is only 30K. After the tax cuts expired, I lost $600 a year which was about the amount of my tax refund. That really hurts when you have a lousy net income like me. I fondly remember when Bush actually gave tax money back to ppl.
The Bush tax cuts didn't expire for you - they did for people making $400K+. I think you might be thinking of the payroll tax cut, which was temporary ~4% vs 6% on the employee side.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...lower-incomes/

Old 08-13-2014, 11:32 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,388,201 times
Quote:
The Bush tax cuts didn't expire for you - they did for people making $400K+. I think you might be thinking of the payroll tax cut, which was temporary ~4% vs 6% on the employee side.

The Obameter: Extend the Bush tax cuts for lower incomes | PolitiFact
Yeah...which is why any sort of tax "holiday" is usually a bad idea. People get used to it and then think it's an "increase" when things return to normal. I had a lot of good arguments with my conservative friends over that one back in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies