Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 02:16 PM

4,375 posts, read 3,184,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Can anyone tell me why America become a minority majority county is a good thing?

I mean looking at what has happened to every culture and nation that has been overwhelmed by other cultures and nations and was/is made a minority in their own nation has never ended well. From the Roman Empire to the culture problems to the Middle East.

Please don`t pull the who "you are a racist" bit. You have to make the case on why some culture or races are not allowed to be a majority in their own nations while others cultures and races have the right to be a majority in their nations and other nations of other races/cultures...Which if its OK for other races expect one is that not itself "racist"?

And if "race does not exist" how can anyone be a "racist"?

Let the games begin.
Your whole premise is flawed. The United States has been overwhelmed by people from other countries, races and cultures since it's very formation. The United States is different from most every other country in the world in that it was founded by immigrants and was never a country of natives. Native Americans are a small minority who haven't retained much power at all within their own land.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:27 PM

37,168 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there are differences between cultures within the country based on things other than ancestry or race. Regional differences being the most obvious.

I would guess that a black person from the rural south has more in common with his white neighbors than a black from the south side of Chicago.
No question. I married a girl from Brooklyn whose family floated over from Italy and Syria in the 1920s, and her grandmothers were at her parents house quite a lot. Every time I went to pick her up for a date it was like U.N. meeting. It took a while before her Father who grew up in the Bronx and I, who grew up in rural South Carolina could even understand each other. We made it through the cultural differences, and Barbara and I have been married for 37 years now as of two days ago.

Vive la difference, as the French say!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:30 PM

62,870 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Your whole premise is flawed. The United States has been overwhelmed by people from other countries, races and cultures since it's very formation. The United States is different from most every other country in the world in that it was founded by immigrants and was never a country of natives. Native Americans are a small minority who haven't retained much power at all within their own land.
Our ancestors all started out in Africa so the subsequent generations moved all over the earth. No one was a native anywhere. They were all immigrants. We weren't the only country founded by immigrants. Each country has adopted a common culture and language and we aren't any different. We are no longer a nation of immigrants but a nation of Americans. Our citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant population. It is your premise that is flawed.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:35 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
More specifically, these immigrant groups ADD their cultural traditions to the American cultural mix. American culture, or any culture, isn't static. Assimilation isn't necessarily a one-way street.

I happen to be a member of one of the groups mentioned above and consider myself assimilated, but I celebrate my heritage too.
^^This, exactly.

We have seen this time and time again with earlier immigrant groups. And, we've seen the same hand-wringing about how each group was going to usurp what was already here and of course that didn't happen.

Oh, well.
Just human nature to fear the "other' I guess.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:41 PM

62,870 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
^^This, exactly.

We have seen this time and time again with earlier immigrant groups. And, we've seen the same hand-wringing about how each group was going to usurp what was already here and of course that didn't happen.

Oh, well.
Just human nature to fear the "other' I guess.
What you aren't factoring in is that the current group of immigrants coming here in the largest numbers both legally and illegally are from mostly one ethnic group. That wasn't true of the past. "Fear of the other" is just demonizing tactics to the above truths. Assimilation is not occurring. Colonization is.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:49 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What you aren't factoring in is that the current group of immigrants coming here in the largest numbers both legally and illegally are from mostly one ethnic group. That wasn't true of the past. "Fear of the other" is just demonizing tactics to the above truths. Assimilation is not occurring. Colonization is.
That's not true. There were waves of immigration from various countries in our past. Germans came in waves, Irish after the potato famine, Cubans after Castro, Chinese for the railroad and of course Africans as slaves(albeit a much longer wave).

The 80's saw the rapid boom of the Hispanic / Latino wave really take steam.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:53 PM

192 posts, read 269,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
No really have you seen Europe? I mean the only white nations that will be left will be New Zealand and Australia because the have a immigration system that works.
Clearly you haven't been to Europe.

Of the nations of the EU, with a population total of 501.098 million, 6.3% of that total population was born in a non-EU country. (That includes the non-whites, along with the whites like me who emigrated from the US to an EU member state.)

Just how soon do you think it will it take for that approximately 6.3% of our non-white immigrants to overrun us?

Old 08-15-2014, 03:54 PM

4,375 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Our ancestors all started out in Africa so the subsequent generations moved all over the earth. No one was a native anywhere. They were all immigrants. We weren't the only country founded by immigrants. Each country has adopted a common culture and language and we aren't any different. We are no longer a nation of immigrants but a nation of Americans. Our citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant population. It is your premise that is flawed.
No, it isn't. You've hit it on the head but you don't know it. The only thing that binds us together is our citizenship. We are all immigrants or descended from immigrants. The original poster seemed to be implying that this is a homogenous country, which has never, ever been the case or that whites have some sacred birthright to be the majority population of the land. The culture has always been in constant flux.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:23 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Let me turn the discussion around: why are conservatives so obsessed with conformity and normative culture? Isn't that the lazier route for all? They conform so we don't have to budge?

50-80 years ago it would have been abnormal for my wife and I to marry and have a child (she is of a different race). Today it's not a huge deal at all. That's because people before us had the stones to accept that multiracial marriages were acceptable and that the prevailing culture at the time was wrong (Loving v. Virginia case, etc.). Since then we have seen a change in the culture. The point is culture is not immutable, and should not be. What is abnormal today can be come normal or accepted tomorrow, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that.

As such, I don't see the possibility of a new normal majority-minority as the "sky is falling". As I see it, multiracial marriages on the rise and we will see much more mixing long into the future and "races" will not be nearly as important of a construct to most people. That's just a guess...but I see it trending that way.
You make statements about what "should not be" without a single ounce of concrete foundation laid to back up that claim. You're all idealism and emotion, typical of the average willfully uninformed person. Can you tell me how culture affects democracy or political power? Can you tell me anything about deeper political models or theory? I doubt it. The fact is that culture's who retain their generally immutable culture retain stronger forms of democracy and more political power. Insofar as democracy is concerned, culture is e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Your politically uninformed comments only communicate that you aren't ready to be included in a serious discussion.

Forgive conservatives for being suspicious of liberals when they tell us "hey dude, it's cool, go with the flow - all culture changes" when liberal culture "change" has historically been code for cultural destruction (Chinese Cultural Revolution) or significant dilution as a means to erode the political power of those who oppose the aristocracy. In China, tens of millions of people were slaughtered about 60 years ago toward this end. When a liberal speaks of cultural change, that's the line that he/she toes. Whether it is accomplished by violence or coercion, the recent history of liberal cultural change is marred by tens of millions of dead humans. We don't care to hear your disingenuous placations, or weak minded assertions about how all things change, and instead will pay attention to culturally strong, cultural resistant and traditional groups such as the Jewish people to inform us as to what is good and bad insofar as cultural retention is concerned.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:36 PM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
The fact is that culture's who retain their generally immutable culture retain stronger forms of democracy and more political power. Insofar as democracy is concerned, culture is e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Your politically uninformed comments only communicate that you aren't ready to be included in a serious discussion.
This is not fact. It is opinion. The truth is that you cannot with any degree of certainty say that a strong, monolithic culture that requires all newcomers to adapt to it makes a nation any stronger. You also cannot state that people who were born in America are worth more (or that their opinions are worth more, or that their values are worth more, or that they are more "American") than a person who is not. Those are non-quantifiable characteristics, and their worth to a nation is suspect at best. I know you want it to be otherwise, but it is not so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies