Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 12:22 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
Just because a person can get through Police Academy doesn't automatically make them an honorable and just person. People need to realize that and stop coddling police officers.
Who is coddling the police officers? I see many throwing him under the bus for shooting a defenseless person. Many of those people are now silent now that the truth is coming out.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:24 PM

610 posts, read 699,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo View Post
Two sides to every coin. Nothing is going to get better unless both sides clean up their acts. It's a vicious cycle; people will keep feeling threatened by the police presence, and the police will continue to be validated in needing hardened equipment as long as the protestors and police keep up what they're doing.

My two cents: The violence and looting in Ferguson has nothing to do with justice or furthering a cause, and everything to do with being opportunistic and using a high-tension situation to cause chaos. I don't think that looting local businesses and causing damage to persons and property produces any kind of positive message. On the other hand, the militarization of our nation's police forces is a little unsettling, to say the least. I'm not sure why a Missouri suburb's police force needs military-grade hardware to do its job, nor do I understand why that police force feels that it's okay to ignore freedom of the press.
"Both Sides"???? A handful of money-grubbing thieving goons capitalized on the confusion and broke into some stores and stole stuff. That does NOT represent the entire "side" which is protesting the fact it's been open season on black people since time immemorial and open season on everyone else since the early 90's. The ENTIRE Ferguson police force brought out their full military regalia to stoke the fire of unrest. There's video of them calling these protesters "animals" and "f**k*ng n**g*rs". Saying that the looters represent any "side" of this is like saying that because I live in a bad neighborhood, I am a criminal.

Also, to the guy who said "what do you expect them to do? let them continue looting?" or whatever it was... No... of course not. But did ANY ONE POLICE OFFICER stand in between the looters and the property that the TAXPAYERS PAY THEM to defend? Of course not. They were nowhere to be found because they were too busy conjuring up a pretext for them to whip out all the free bells and whistles that DHS handed them off you and I's dime. It's not like the choice is actually deducible to either a.) paramilitary police deployment or b.) a free-for-all on everyone's property.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I bet the violent demonstrations are over.
We'll see...

People on my Facebook feed are saying that the government is lying, that the convenience store footage is fake, etc... People are sharing vines and other videos of people protesting in front of the burnt down QT saying some pretty heated stuff. One of the local djs is on the radio saying the same stuff. I hope things stay peaceful, but there is going to be more violence tonight then there was last night. I wouldn't be surprised if it escalates to the intensity that it was the first night.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:30 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Who is coddling the police officers? I see many throwing him under the bus for shooting a defenseless person. Many of those people are now silent now that the truth is coming out.
What truth? That he stole some cigars from a convenience store? Ok, so that means he definitely started a fight w/the cop & definitely was trying to take the cops gun? Does that mean the cop was justified in shooting the guy, because he stole cigars? Interesting. I'll wait until ALL the details come to light which as everyone should know usually takes a few days. If the guy was indeed going for the cops gun & they were fighting then I believe the cop would be justified in shooting him. If the guy was not going for the gun & the guy was running away, backing away, whatever then no, the cop would not be justified in shooting him. I'm sure we can all agree about that. And stealing cigars from a convenience store has nothing to do with it.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:42 PM

329 posts, read 387,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
From my understanding, riot police were not called out until after the rioting began.

I could very well be wrong, if so, please post a link to that information.
Of course you are wrong, cops are thugs with a badge and now a APC. LOL

Old 08-15-2014, 12:43 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And stealing cigars from a convenience store has nothing to do with it.
I would disagree:

1. He is on video stealing the cigars and then pushing the clerk around/grabbing him by the throat, this wasn't shoplifting it was strong-arm robbery
2. This guy was big, this wasn't a 12 year old/100 lb. kid so if he was resisting and the cop felt threatened then........
3. The witness was his co-criminal in the store robbery, not sure his word is worth much!

Old 08-15-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
What truth? That he stole some cigars from a convenience store? Ok, so that means he definitely started a fight w/the cop & definitely was trying to take the cops gun? Does that mean the cop was justified in shooting the guy, because he stole cigars? Interesting. I'll wait until ALL the details come to light which as everyone should know usually takes a few days. If the guy was indeed going for the cops gun & they were fighting then I believe the cop would be justified in shooting him. If the guy was not going for the gun & the guy was running away, backing away, whatever then no, the cop would not be justified in shooting him. I'm sure we can all agree about that. And stealing cigars from a convenience store has nothing to do with it.
Holy cow, you are not for real are you??? He definitely started a fight with the guy at the convenience store. He is a thug. Do you really think the guy was changing his demeanor when being confronted by a cop? LOL. You really cannot be that naïve can you? Stealing cigars has everything to do with it. He committed a strong-armed robbery. He put himself in the bad position of being confronted by officer. Sorry if I don't feel sorry for this POS.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:48 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Holy cow, you are not for real are you??? He definitely started a fight with the guy at the convenience store. He is a thug. Do you really think the guy was changing his demeanor when being confronted by a cop? LOL. You really cannot be that naïve can you? Stealing cigars has everything to do with it. He committed a strong-armed robbery. He put himself in the bad position of being confronted by officer. Sorry if I don't feel sorry for this POS.
Are you for real? Talk about making assinine assumptions based on nil. You have nothing. Maybe wait until actual facts are presented. As I said, if he put the cops life in danger, justified. If not, not justified. Pretty simple, no?

Old 08-15-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Are you for real? Talk about making assinine assumptions based on nil. You have nothing. Maybe wait until actual facts are presented. As I said, if he put the cops life in danger, justified. If not, not justified. Pretty simple, no?
Since there is no videotape of the confrontation with the police officer I guess we will never know. I somehow don't believe this innocent, outstanding, pillar of a community, young man, was just obeying orders when confronted by a police officer after committing a strong-armed robbery.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:06 PM

706 posts, read 1,309,098 times
A lot of good police officers out there. I am not convinced this was the case of one of them.

When a town that is majority black has 3 black officers out of 56, something should go off in your head. I can't wrap my head around that.

Small towns in the south and the midwest are like this more than many of us in the northeast care to think about.

I grew up in a small town, love small towns, but don't understand where the ignorance, hate and xenophobia comes from....it is sad.

Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies