Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:20 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I know people, some that I consider friends, who have smoked MJ for thirty or more years, and it's been like watching someone going into premature dementia.
Sorry, stop! I know many many heads, and you'd never know if they are high or not. I know a couple heads that are mind blowingly smart. When I was a head I did some of my best work (automotive paint and airbrush). The level of concentration is heightened when stoned. This is a well documented condition.

Can you explain why pot, a supposed narcotic, is banned as a sports enhancing drug?
Olympics FYI: Why Is Cannabis Considered a Performance-Enhancing Drug? | Popular Science

BTW, pot is actually being tested as a viable treatment for demensia and Alzheimers.
Active Ingredient Cannabidiol 'Cures' Alzheimer's Mice

So that flys in the face of your assertions. Are you sure you aren't surrounded by demented people?

Last edited by steven_h; 08-15-2014 at 01:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 01:31 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
So does this mean we need to make alcohol illegal too?

Old 08-15-2014, 02:08 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
William Bennett and Robert White: Legal Pot Is a Public Health Menace - WSJ

I am not a real fan of Bill Bennett. He initiated the 'assault weapon' ban idiocy as drug czar under HW Bush in 1989. He was federal Education Sec'y, Drug Czar, and Chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities. Kind of the equivalent of a lib who had a career as head of the NRA, Christian Coalition, and Taxpayers Against Government Waste.

Nonetheless a blind squirrel comes up with a nut (squirrels use their noses more than their eyes anyway). Bennett makes an excellent point about the left's anti-science stance when it comes to Mary Jane:

The use of MJ has always been in essence a religious ritual and right of passage for the American left, linked to Gaia-worship. As someone who was a pot-smoker and persuaded liberal in my teen years, I know whereof I speak.

Gaia Plant-Based Medicine | Hand-Crafted Recreational and Medicinal Cannabis

Why does the left reject science and embrace religion????:confuse d:
Weed is a right of passage for the American left ?

we on the left should never lose an election then, heck, there are studies that say this number is way higher.

Also, this has nothing to do with sciences, infact most laws dont, they have to do with perceived morals.

Science says alcohol and cigarettes are bad, and yet both are legal. We tried to make Alcohol illegal once, as did half the world, it didnt work out to good.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:21 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Sorry, stop! I know many many heads, and you'd never know if they are high or not. I know a couple heads that are mind blowingly smart. When I was a head I did some of my best work (automotive paint and airbrush). The level of concentration is heightened when stoned. This is a well documented condition.

Can you explain why pot, a supposed narcotic, is banned as a sports enhancing drug?
Olympics FYI: Why Is Cannabis Considered a Performance-Enhancing Drug? | Popular Science

BTW, pot is actually being tested as a viable treatment for demensia and Alzheimers.
Active Ingredient Cannabidiol 'Cures' Alzheimer's Mice

So that flys in the face of your assertions. Are you sure you aren't surrounded by demented people?
I have seen what I have seen.

I firmly believe that all drugs should be de-criminalized to take the profits out of drug dealing and incarceration. Let those who will destroy themselves with drugs do it, and let the rest of us get on with life without the gangs.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:22 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Irrelevant.

Legalize and regulate and leave the decision to smoke marijuana to the individual. If they want to waste their brain on it that's their problem - not mine.

[]
I would have agreed with this until 4 years ago. But with the enactment of Obamacare (yes it has been 4 years) and the march towards tax-funded health care, it is your problem if you pay federal income taxes. According to the CDC, as much as 75% of health care costs are due to behavior.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
I have seen what I have seen.
And? I have seen the effects of alcoholism as well, but that doesn't mean alcohol should be illegal.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:26 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And? I have seen the effects of alcoholism as well, but that doesn't mean alcohol should be illegal.
I am not arguing against the legalization of MJ. Alcohol is arguably more harmful.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
I am not arguing against the legalization of MJ. Alcohol is arguably more harmful. I have had friends destroy their lives through alcohol.
Then I don't see the point you were trying to make.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:29 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
I would have agreed with this until 4 years ago. But with the enactment of Obamacare (yes it has been 4 years) and the march towards tax-funded health care, it is your problem if you pay federal income taxes. According to the CDC, as much as 75% of health care costs are due to behavior.
So you should be advocating for the repeal of the 21st amendment. Alcohol is far more widely used and more dangerous.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:32 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Considering all the other things my federal tax dollars pay for, I consider pot inconsequential.

[it is what it is]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies