Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 09:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I do not support public funding of homeschooling.

With about a third of all children being overweight, tells me a heck of a lot of parents can't even control what their own kids eat or understand the consequences.

Most parents do not have the apptitude or skills to teach.

I do not support federal mandates for public schooling either. I also do not support any taxpayer money at all to be used for colleges and universities.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:38 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Up, up and away! Gone forever in a flash.
Seems like a self-correcting problem to me.

My only concern is who will let the dog out of the house after they're gone.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:20 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Obviously you didn't click the link and just assumed it was online learning.

No, it's lesson plans for homeschooler parents that have the mindstorms kits.
I did click it. Where in that home curriculum does it say that your 'team' will have an opportunity to work with the engineering department at a university? I think it's great my son has the opportunity to work not only in a team, but also have peer mentorship opportunities with students at the collegiate level. That's an incredible benefit- not just for learning but for getting kids stoked to enter college. And not to sound judgmental, but Mindstorm is indeed a great learning opportunity, but it's not quite in the same league as what I am referring to. These kids are designing from scratch task oriented robots. They are so focused that they all spend their lunch time in the robotics classroom (the 'nerd sanctuary' as they call it)

I don't know if homeschool kids have those opportunities or not. I do know that none of the kids I was familiar with that are/were home schooled participated in extracurricular clubs such as that. I think the greatest interaction with the public school system was for band and orchestra.

Everyone can agree public schools have warts- ours is no exception. There may be more 'disruptive' kids then there are engineering/math nerds. However- all the STEM nerds have the ability to cluster and work together- such as the club mentioned. Even though they may be a small portion of the total population, assembled they learn a lot more.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
They have no desire because home schooling is all they have ever known.
Yet another erroneous assumption on your part. Several of the older ones have attended public school.

They also have plenty of friends who attend public and private schools, as well as home schooling friends.

They know their options but they love their current method of education and prefer it. And I'm glad, because they're all, without exception, excelling in their studies.

They're also very well rounded kids - they're athletic, they're artistic, they're friendly and conversational across age groups - they even enjoy gardening and cooking. Their current ages span from 11 to 3. I'm not sure if they will continue home schooling throughout their high school years but the plan currently is to continue through junior high.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:04 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Even in a society where 100% of the population had Ph.Ds, someone would have to retread tires and greet guests at Wal-mart. Guess it'll be these people; what's the big deal about that?

ETA: I already know, most homeschool families are not like this.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:45 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
Say what you want about homeschool kids, their success rate is huge. There is always someone that goes off the reservation but overall, homeschooling is doing an excelling job providing 5 million kids a great education.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:58 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
All of you pro-home schoolers here: do you really believe a decade of education which only consists of singing songs is adequate?
We have all been told how important music education is in the development of young minds so sure they will be fine.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:17 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The voice of reason.

I'm glad that all seven of my grandchildren are homeschooled by my two daughters and their husbands. Both families are very different and have a completely different style of homeschooling, but in both cases, the curriculum is the "classical" model and my grandkids are without exception doing very well and are ahead of grade level in nearly every subject.

And there's just something really cool about my little seven year old granddaughter bounding up to me and saying, "Listen to me recite my Latin lesson to you!" The kids all get a kick out of identifying Latin words and phrases, for that matter.

They're part of a homeschooling co-op and in addition to the Three R's, they are also taking music lessons, they go on field trips with other kids, and they enjoy a wide range of extracurricular activities. My daughters have school rooms in their homes filled with textbooks, projects, computers, musical instruments, art supplies, telescopes, etc. and the kids are always busy. They LOVE homeschooling and have no desire to go to public schools or a school outside the home.

Both my daughters are very committed to following a formal schedule and yearly plan, and to being held accountable to a curriculum. I am very proud of their families. It's a huge commitment of time, energy, patience, and intelligence. Both daughters are thrilled to find that they often are learning (or revisiting) concepts along with their kids.
Don't bother. They "learned" everything they know about homeschooling from an article in a "news"paper..

Old 08-17-2014, 01:56 PM

195 posts, read 153,888 times
Let freedom ring.

The kids would have ended up hating the parents in the end, because they cut them off after robbing a store to survive.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:28 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,518,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"There are tons of examples!
And there are thousands of tons of examples where home schooled kids OUTPERFORM public schooled kids.

The numbers are NOT in your favor. Several examples have been posted. you might want to do some reading instead of shooting from the hip.

There are also "tons of examples" of kids that have failed in public schools.
You have to remember that the people you're talking to are products of the public education system and, therefor, not terribly educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies