Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Poor Whites get every social benefit that poor black and Hispanic families get, so why look for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I would LOVE to see the numbers on that. You think poor whites have the same rate of TANF and Section 8 usage as others?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:10 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,660,677 times
I can't speak for the rest of the country but here in California, they import many foreign workers to take our jobs, Want to go to college? The illegals get free tuitioin but we get the Berkeley Bake Sale rates.
Want a job at a college? You will get nailed by their non-white hiring policies.

Next time, vote for a qualified candidate.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are tons of poor whites, blacks, Hispanics and Indian Americans in rural areas.

Jobs in many rural areas have always been scare. The great migrations from Appalachia and rural areas that occurred in the past simply transferred the challenges from one geographical area to another.

The auto industry gave preferential hiring to whites. There was a housing crisis in many cities, too many people and not enough housing, especially affordable housing. So cities designated housing for the poor. Whites got better units and paid less than their black counterparts. There were riots. Housing projects were built to house the poor. Again whites got priority and paid less. More riots.

Despite the relative prosperity of the 50's about 20% of the people lived in dire poverty, mostly in rural and urban areas.

Despite all the government programs to end poverty, here we are with about the same percentage of poor people. Today's poor however do however have a higher quality of life when one uses indoor plumbing, square footage, food, utilities and "stuff" as measures. There are more educational opportunities for those who work their butts off, too.

Maybe it's time to turn the tables, just a bit , and ask the chronically poor what they plan to do to change their own outcomes. Nothing changes when nothing changes.

I will return to school and get a marketable skill as soon as I can afford it.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:21 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I can't speak for the rest of the country but here in California, they import many foreign workers to take our jobs, Want to go to college? The illegals get free tuitioin but we get the Berkeley Bake Sale rates.
Want a job at a college? You will get nailed by their non-white hiring policies.

Next time, vote for a qualified candidate.
As far as hiring goes I definitely would not say that white's are discriminated against. I don't know of anyone personally who has gotten a job because of their race. I think the whole affirmative action thing was something of the past.

I do agree about the illegals though. But look who's making the laws. The politicians are on the dole of the mega corporations and they're pushing for cheap labor to keep their expenses low.

The reality is our government failed at regulating our Economy. Things took a major turn for the worse during the financial crisis.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:26 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,156,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I would LOVE to see the numbers on that. You think poor whites have the same rate of TANF and Section 8 usage as others?
Maybe you should read what I said, instead of trying to inject your political slant, and get back to me if you want a real conversation.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:45 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
I lived a great deal of my life in Appalachia. The ARC (Appalachian Regional Commission) has pumped more money and resources into this region than any other aid organization in the US which has netted close to nothing. The fact of the matter is that most people that live in poverty in this region go back generations in such conditions- when their kin sold off their mineral and timber rights to corporate concerns. They became defacto slaves to the resource owners.

As a result they have nothing. Maybe the promise of a job logging or mining coal or working at the C-Store. The smart move away and seldom come home and the rest stay there due to kin. There is a very strong sense of kin.

Most 'poor whites' associate themselves with the Scots-Irish, of which I am descended. A very powerful book by the former Sen. Jim Webb illustrates in great detail the history of us 'rednecks'. We are poor, tied to kin and ferociously against any government intrusion, even though we sold our rights to prosperity so many generations ago.

Poverty in most of 'white America' is a descendant of this phenomena. We cling to our liberty regardless of social standing and choose to ignore the state that we are accustomed to living in even though we were railroaded a long time ago. An earlier post I made about 'guns' rings true- politicians have an easy time with our 'ilk' by creating wedge issues that don't exist- "Elect that guy and he'll take your guns away! or Elect him and the coal industry is dead!"

So we cling to guns, beer, prescription drugs and for some- family and a few jobs left in the fields our fathers and grandfathers worked in.

I would say that breaking that cycle is a lot harder than it seems. Politicians have done no favors, business has done no favors, and the ARC- however well intentioned, only paved the way to further hell. I lived in it for a long time. I speak from my experience and my upbringing.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
There is nothing WE can do. Its more about individuals taking advantage of opportunity available. Its always been individuals do that thru time and we can only give opportunity .Looking at education it seems opportunity provided is not being taken advantage of:IMO.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:54 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
They teach the wrong things in school. They should teach:

How to lower your chances of being in poverty:

1. Finish high school
2. Don't have a baby unless you are married
3. Don't get married until you have a job
4. Don't marry a loser
5. Don't hang out with losers.
6. Don't have more kids than you can afford
7. Don't do drugs

Old 08-16-2014, 07:59 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

1. Finish high school
4. Don't marry a loser
7. Don't do drugs
Oh my. This is horrible advice.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

1. Finish high school
4. Don't marry a loser
7. Don't do drugs

Check, check, check, check, check, check, check.

Didn't work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.