Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 02:26 PM

87 posts, read 104,430 times

Advertisements

Young black male here, I agree that he told truths to too few want to believe. I posted about how I believe that "black on black" crime has taken far more lives than police crimes (not saying one is better than the other) the response made me take the post down.

There are many more BOB crimes that made me feel we should have a protest than police. For example, last summer on one of the rougher blocks in my neighborhood, a 11 year-old girl got caught in the crossfire of two young men, was struck and now a QUADRIPLEGIC - her ENTIRE body is now a prison for life (unless there is a cure for paralysis in the near future) because of unnessary stupidity. It broke my heart. But there was no outcry about this, or the infamous incident on the B15 bus when a teenage boy saw a boy from a rival gang on the bus and just started shooting, stricking a innocent man in the head and killing him instantly.

People need to wake up.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:29 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
The situation is constantly in flux down in Ferguson, but from the news reports I've seen, the majority of those arrested have been outsiders rather than those from the Ferguson community.

People are coming to Ferguson from all over, so the problem might not be the locals for the most part.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:30 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Have you seen the collective white-hating stuff taught in schools and colleges:

All black Americans descend from slaves.
All white Americans owned black slaves.
All black people never enslaved anybody.

All three of which are collective untruths, sparked by hateful and biased emotion, usually propagated by those with a selfish political agenda - and since Im talking about schools and colleges, Im not even touching on the stuff coming out of people like Al Sharpton.
If that is being uniformly--or even commonly--taught in schools and colleges, can you point to a textbook or link something supporting that?

I've never seen anything like that in any course, especially inasmuch as to say "All white Americans owned black slaves" would necessarily remove white Abolitionists from the history and "All black Americans descend from slaves" would remove many black Abolitionists from history, and "All black people never enslaved anybody" would remove from history many black heroes who purchased family members in order to rescue them from slavery.

I can't imagine anyone's teaching a history like that, whether black or white, in any public school or accredited college, so I'd appreciate some support to those statements.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:31 PM

317 posts, read 328,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Except millions of valuable people ascend from unfavorable "environments" every day of every week. They don't give themselves any other choice. And so good things happen to them. We need to not ask, but demand that from everyone under penalty of starvation and death. When faced with that real choice, the same choice every non-human animal on Earth faces without complaint or demand, we will see that nearly everyone is capable of a lot more than they are currently showing. Necessity is the mother of invention. Laziness and failure are the progeny of determinism.

The problem with your position is that many people aren't pulling themselves up by their boot straps.

Some people need a helping hand, because no matter how many speeches you give them to do it themselves they aren't going to do it or can't do it.

I could see you on a stage in a poverty ridden neighborhood telling people to get tough and raise yourself up out of poverty and after doing this for 40 years once every week, you'd still have the same amount of people in poverty.

Many people lack the knowledge and mindset to connect the dots so they can get out of their situation. When this happens people with the knowledge have to help those people plan an escape route.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:50 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
you dont seam capable of processing the argument.

let me make it simple.

there are 2 jobs that pay 75k a year with benefits.

there are 15 applicants.

whatever the other 13 do they will not get those jobs.

fullstop.
There are always million of jobs. Find another one. Start a toilet cleaning business if you can't. All you need is a brush and a bicycle. Enough with the excuses. If you don't want to live, then just do everyone a favor and die. Figuratively speaking. You are NEVER OWED YOUR EXISTENCE.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:56 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1766 View Post
The problem with your position is that many people aren't pulling themselves up by their boot straps.

Some people need a helping hand, because no matter how many speeches you give them to do it themselves they aren't going to do it or can't do it.

I could see you on a stage in a poverty ridden neighborhood telling people to get tough and raise yourself up out of poverty and after doing this for 40 years once every week, you'd still have the same amount of people in poverty.

Many people lack the knowledge and mindset to connect the dots so they can get out of their situation. When this happens people with the knowledge have to help those people plan an escape route.
I do not accept your premise that any adults in America can not figure out the basic equation that work equals survival and hard work equals better survival. I don't accept it and it's simply not true.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:57 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post

It's best not to commit robberies and fight with police when they try to apprehend you.
I agree. Best not to commit robberies or fight with the police.

I've gone out on crisis calls with police officers and was astounded at the nonsense they put up with. People spit on them and call them names and push them and try to land a punch. Crazy stuff.

Then if the officer grabs then, they start yelling police brutality. I'm not kidding.

Not that there isn't police brutality going on, but why bring it on yourself? That's just nuts.

When I heard that that this guy turned, dropped to his knees and raised his hands it the air in surrender, my first thought was, "Really?" I've never seen that happen.

They run away. They stop still. Maybe put their hands in the air. They might even fall on the ground. But I've never seen or heard of someone turning around when an officer yelled for them to stop. Never.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 08-20-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times
Quote:
Except millions of valuable people ascend from unfavorable "environments" every day of every week. They don't give themselves any other choice. And so good things happen to them. We need to not ask, but demand that from everyone under penalty of starvation and death. When faced with that real choice, the same choice every non-human animal on Earth faces without complaint or demand, we will see that nearly everyone is capable of a lot more than they are currently showing. Necessity is the mother of invention. Laziness and failure are the progeny of determinism.
do you know what the genni coefficient is?

show me how millions of america change class every day.

numbers and stats Mam

Old 08-20-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
If that is true, then the applicants who did not get the job have to go onto the next job application, eventually they will get a job. if they keep getting rejected, then they might have to earn education or begin at the bottom or whatever, to reach their ideal job. that is part of the constitution's "right to pursue happiness" it is not guaranteed.
ughhh....if there are 1 million good jobs and 3 million people...you really miss the point....there is a finite amount of resources...

thats why you have PHds from ok state schools working at starbucks if they have some soft degree.

so then they should all major in engineering...

once again, you need wage workers and bosses...only a few can be the boss..we live in a winner take all system and the result of systematic disenfranchisement of former slaves is what you see.

are you surprised?

Old 08-20-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
There are always million of jobs. Find another one. Start a toilet cleaning business if you can't. All you need is a brush and a bicycle. Enough with the excuses. If you don't want to live, then just do everyone a favor and die. Figuratively speaking. You are NEVER OWED YOUR EXISTENCE.
yes..there will be 10000 toilet cleaning businesses...a great idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies