Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:44 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times

Advertisements

I think we should help but forget massive number of troops. It does not take a well trained army to beat back those terrorists but if more of those people would arm themselves and get into the fight the situation might improve. We have paid a high price in casualties since Dec. 7, 1941 keeping the world free and it's time for the world to fight for their freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 11:52 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I think we should help but forget massive number of troops. It does not take a well trained army to beat back those terrorists but if more of those people would arm themselves and get into the fight the situation might improve. We have paid a high price in casualties since Dec. 7, 1941 keeping the world free and it's time for the world to fight for their freedom.
No, we have paid a high price in keeping the US economy propped up by the petro dollar, and by ensuring resources are extracted by the cheapest means possible. Of course that is slowly eroding away...

Old 08-17-2014, 12:38 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Rubbish- I don't give a rats behind about the history of US operations in Iraq. I am talking about ISIS and their threat to the US. I don't care if ISIS is in Iraq, Timbuktu, or your back yard - they are a serious enemy of the US and the whole world - they need wiped out.
You make a more compelling argument than the OP does. He sounds like he wants a rescue mission because he's smitten with Lucy.

I tend to agree that to ignore ISIS would be ill-advised. However, I think we need to devise new strategies to deal with a mindset that Americans don't have much experience with.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:38 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
No, we have paid a high price in keeping the US economy propped up by the petro dollar, and by ensuring resources are extracted by the cheapest means possible. Of course that is slowly eroding away...
So you support terrorists and their goals.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:39 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So you support the actions of terrorists.

Nice.
Not even a decent strawman argument. How does saying that it is not our job to fight for the security of a bunch of lazy cowards in Iraq equate to supporting terrorists?

Old 08-17-2014, 12:48 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And you wonder why Americans are hated around the world, and that type of thinking is EXACTLY what elicits such hate.

Americans aren't smart enough to have their thoughts emulated. Furthermore, we can't install competent leaders ourselves when one looks at the political leadership in this country.

And we SUCK at occupation. Easily one of the worst occupiers in modern times.

Your friend is clueless.
I had similar thoughts when I read it - sounded like colonialism. However, I didn't think that was the poster's intention; I thought it was ambiguous wording.

Those people have been doing what they do for centuries. It would be nothing for them to chill out for a generation or two and then pick up where they left off.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:49 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Not even a decent strawman argument. How does saying that it is not our job to fight for the security of a bunch of lazy cowards in Iraq equate to supporting terrorists?
By not killing terrorists, you support them.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:54 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
[

The Yazidi are a Kurdish speaking minority whose religious beliefs trace to Zorastrianism, which is heresy to the Islamist. Will the US honor Colin Powell's 'pottery barn rule:' you broke it, you bought it.' This is our responsibility to address.
She can ask European countries for help.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:02 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
However, in this case, we created the problem. They had a stable if uneasy existence under Saddam. We got rid of Saddam, then ducked out, leaving the coast clear for Islamic miltiants. You broke it, you bought it.
broke it, paid for it already.

She can go back to her country and defend her country. If this country is under attack and I know I am going to die anyway, I will make sure I pick up a gun and fight. (better than being raped or killed)

She should do the same if she wants to save her own people.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
We aren't capable of defeating ISIS.

Do you guys LIKE getting your asses kicked or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
By not killing terrorists, you support them.
I don't see you killing anyone.

Are you supporting terrorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies