Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:14 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times

Advertisements

So what to do?

Importing more people/amnesty just makes this worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 10:26 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
A progressive is decrying progress.

The irony is dripping...

Old 08-18-2014, 10:29 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It sounds like a good case for basic income.
Who will pay for it if all jobs are eliminated?

Old 08-18-2014, 10:54 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Drastic population reduction is the only solution as long as we continue to automate.

During the transition, I hope you have a LOT of money set aside and most of your stuff is paid for. There will be a LOT of pain for those who cannot afford the things technology gives and are not qualified to do the jobs ahead of those being taken over by machine (think Soylent Green populations and poverty if you saw the movie).

Post transition, post population crash, life should be pretty sweet for those who survived. At 54, I think I will live long enough to start to see the worst of it, but not the best.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
A progressive is decrying progress.

The irony is dripping...
I'm not decrying it. What would be the point? Automation is on the horizon and no amount of denial is going to change that.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Drastic population reduction is the only solution as long as we continue to automate.

During the transition, I hope you have a LOT of money set aside and most of your stuff is paid for. There will be a LOT of pain for those who cannot afford the things technology gives and are not qualified to do the jobs ahead of those being taken over by machine (think Soylent Green populations and poverty if you saw the movie).

Post transition, post population crash, life should be pretty sweet for those who survived. At 54, I think I will live long enough to start to see the worst of it, but not the best.
I agree, the transition period is going to be harsh. And I don't believe we have the political will in place right now to deal with what's coming, which is going to make it worse before it gets better. I'm the same age as you, but I am more optimistic of coming out on the other side of this massive transformation of humanity and to see the new way of life that emerges from it. And I think it's going to happen sooner than most people realize.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

We'd end up with something resembling the French or Russian revolutions first.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Anyone who wastes time worrying about a potential future and the impact of jobs, should really start studying antibiotic resistant bacteria. I mean seriously. FOCUS on something that may come true.

Innovation, capability, moves on. Sure tractors put out of work people with shovels. Sure trucks put out of work people with trains. the internet put out of work magazines. yet people are adaptable, innovative, and resourceful. You burn down the current forest of jobs you shouldn't cry, just prepare yourself for the next forest to rise from the phoenix's ashes.

The funny thing this innovation has been happening for what ? a few hundred if not thousands of years on some level.

Last edited by ChrisFromChicago; 08-18-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I'm not decrying it. What would be the point? Automation is on the horizon and no amount of denial is going to change that.
Has automation ever previously caused mass job losses? No. Sure, jobs may have been lost in some fields due to automation but they have been replaced by jobs in other fields. Increased efficiency has generally been good for the economy as a whole and, thus, employment.

That doesn't mean that will always be the case and I do fear we may reach a "tipping point" of sorts where automation goes too far, but it really doesn't jive with the laws of economics or with history.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Has automation ever previously caused mass job losses? No. Sure, jobs may have been lost in some fields due to automation but they have been replaced by jobs in other fields. Increased efficiency has generally been good for the economy as a whole and, thus, employment.

That doesn't mean that will always be the case and I do fear we may reach a "tipping point" of sorts where automation goes too far, but it really doesn't jive with the laws of economics or with history.
All I can tell you is to watch the video and see how and why this is different from any kind of evolution of technology we have seen in the past. We have already reached the tipping point. You cannot put the genie back in the bottle. It will be a different world we're facing in the near future as automation and bots begin to impact virtually every aspect of the workforce.

To look at what happened in the past as an indication of what is coming is to hide your head in the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies