Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 12:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post

I don't think anyone has enough information to make an informed decision about what happened except for the people directly involved.

Some people don't seem to need any information to arrive at conclusions that validates their perceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 12:44 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I disagree completely. I'd rather not have cameras on me all the time while in public, and I'm willing to risk the occasional public disturbance.

I don't believe that a video would have made much of a difference in this case anyway. White cop shoots black kid. That's all anyone wants to hear, so they can justify their anger. Their confirmation bias won't allow any alternate possibilities to exist.

If you want to be surveilled 24/7, move to London. We're not England. In fact, we fought a war with them specifically to break away from their way of doing things.
As usual, the family claimed he was a big teddy bear and wouldn't harm anyone.

When the video of him committing a strong arm robbery just seconds before he was shot was released... they all became inflamed and outraged.

The fact is the kid was prone to being violent, at least at that moment.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:44 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
I disagree completely. I'd rather not have cameras on me all the time while in public, and I'm willing to risk the occasional public disturbance.

I don't believe that a video would have made much of a difference in this case anyway. White cop shoots black kid. That's all anyone wants to hear, so they can justify their anger. Their confirmation bias won't allow any alternate possibilities to exist.

If you want to be surveilled 24/7, move to London. We're not England. In fact, we fought a war with them specifically to break away from their way of doing things.
I am talking about cameras in the cop cars and the ones we have here that they wear on their chest, it records all interactions with the populace so that there is no he said this and I said that nonsense, it is all on film. No, I do not want cameras on every corner but it is gradually going that way and there is no way to stop it because most of them are private cameras put up by businesses and private property owners.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:57 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I am talking about cameras in the cop cars and the ones we have here that they wear on their chest, it records all interactions with the populace so that there is no he said this and I said that nonsense, it is all on film. No, I do not want cameras on every corner but it is gradually going that way and there is no way to stop it because most of them are private cameras put up by businesses and private property owners.
When a cop is wearing a camera, that he can't turn on or off, the incidents of shootings and crime go way down. THAT is a curious fact.

Use of force by police officers declined 60% in first year since introduction of cameras in Rialto, Calif.
What Happens When Police Officers Wear Body Cameras - WSJ

Old 08-18-2014, 01:25 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The victim was shot 6 times and the shot in the head killed him. So either the guy was killed in the middle of the "struggle" and the cop kept shooting, or a guy with 5 close range bullets was like superman still overcoming the cop and the shot in the head killed him.

Neither of these scenarios works for justifying 6 bullets. Hard to believe there is not video because the cops could not afford it? Don't some police have tanks? How about someone donate some video cams to the local police? They probably need that more than military equipment. No wealthy police supporters? (The very liberal) John Lennon bought bullet-proof vests for the NYC cops when they could not afford it. Seems like someone could help out the MO cops with a camera.
Are you offering to buy them?

Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Says who? You? LOL.
Say conservatives on this forum, obviously. Perhaps you haven't been paying attention.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipit View Post
Any police department that claims that a civilian tried to grab a cop's gun is telling a pants-on-fire lie!

Agreed. A police officer who is shot (and killed) by a suspect who uses the officer's service weapon to shoot him is the outcome of said officer giving his weapon to the suspect for safekeeping.

[that makes sense]

Old 08-18-2014, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,790 times
Quote:
Wait... this is someone's FIRST post in the forum?

I call BS. This is a banned user that has returned to stir the pot.

For once, I'm with skoro. Please don't feed the troll.

So you background checked me on the forum to figure out what switch to turn on.
And so now I understand there is an unwritten term of use: If you do not agree with right-wing cops can do no wrong insaneology, then you consent to being captioned a troll.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:25 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,751,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipit View Post
Any police department that claims that a civilian tried to grab a cop's gun is telling a pants-on-fire lie!

Of course, many of the hostile posters on this site always believe police no matter what they do so I'm not even talking to you.

Think about it: Why would anyone, even a hoodlum, reach for and try to take a gun from a cop. Just think about it. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Police departments always have the same stupid excuses because they know that enough of a majority of White America will believe any lie they concoct to justify beating or killing a black person.

The other most frequent concoction: The so-called "scuffle" with the police. Iv'e even heard them spin this lie when they have manhandled geriatrics. note: the scuffle word is usually the media account of what happened based on the lies from the police

Then there is the argument that their defenders are always using to scold victims of the police: That the victim shouldn't be mouthing off to the police. Why do they say this all the time? Did they hear audio of mouthing off? And if someone does mouth off to the police, is that in and of itself unlawful? NO! If your typical customer service peon is expected to withstand a rude mouthy customer, why would a cop go off and lose it just because someone is being mouthy?

Stock lies the police tell:
Resisting Arrest (think one scrawny young man surrounded by the usual swarm of flies with badges)
Reached for the officer's gun ( think super human - faster than speed of light - with a sprinkle of crazy)
Is this the justification blacks use to riot?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:26 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
My father carries two scars in his lower abdomen from an incident that happened in (I think) 1962.

He was a deputy Sherriff that was called to the scene of an armed robbery.

when he arrived, there was one police officer on the ground in a desperate fight with the perp....OVER THE POLICE OFFICERS GUN...The gun was a revolver with 6 shots (remember that it will be on the test later)

During the struggle a civilian also came to the aid of the police.

My father responded with his partner.

So we have
1 bad guy
1 cop on the ground with the bad guy
1 civilian coming to the aid of the police officer
2 additional police officers coming to aid in the effort.

The bad guy put two bullets into the guy he was fighting with. This man survived but was never the same. He retired from the police force as a result.

(Bad guy fighting with cop 2 for 2 in his first 2 shots)

The civilian that came rushing in was shot once that put him effectively out of the fight. He survived.

(That is now 3 for 3 from the bad guy while fighting over the cop’s gun that he made a play for)

My dad and his partner pulled up right when the civilian was shot. My dad was the passenger; his door was right next to the struggle on the ground. Dad stepped out of the car, was almost instantly shot in the lower side. He spun around from the impact, and was shot a second time right at the top of the pelvis. The first bullet went thru the layer of fat, did not enter his abdomen and exited. The second deflected downward off the pelvis and is still lodged in his butt...

(Bad guy making play for cop gun is now 5 for 5 in shooting people while fighting with the wounded police officer on the ground.)

My dad’s partner got out of the driver’s side came around the front of the car and the bad guy shot at him. Mr. B (dad’s partner) reported hearing the bullet wiz past his right ear...close call but thankfully the gun was then depleted.

Mr. B clubbed the robber over the head and knocked him out. The assembled crowed called for the police offer to kill the guy. Mr. B, the only officer now able to do anything however showed professional restraint in a time period when such an act wasn’t so strenuously necessary. The bad guy went to jail. I remember every few years growing up; my dad would get a letter from the parole board asking him to provide input on the bad guys request for parole. Talk about scary for a little kid.
“You mean the guy that almost killed my dad may get out of jail? Is he still mad? Does he want to come kill my family?” yea I grew up with that.

Please save me the insane “cops are bad and nobody ever wants to take their gun away from them” junk. I have lived with the truth and it is the exact opposite of the OP’s blathering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies