Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:53 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not if you are black and live outside the "nice areas".

The murder rate for the Austin neighborhood is 30-40x higher than the Lincoln Park neighborhood.

Gotta love the legacy of segregation and racism that is Chicago's.

While the right just likes to bring up Chicago because of their past gun laws and\or Obama's ties there....they are indeed correct (like a broken clock) that this should be addressed as the deaths are geographically and racially polarizing.

However, Chicago gets a pass because it's a big democratic bastion and raising a fuss is not allowed. Al Sharpton f0found that out the hard way 5-6 years ago when he started raising a stink. Mayor Daley met with him and probably said something like "Hey you ever want to speak at the DNC again you better stop making waves and take the next plane out of town or we'll wreck you." After the meeting, Sharpton apologized for his comments, shut up and left town.

Chicago gets a big fat pass for being far worse to blacks than Ferguson.....because of political immunity.
Chicago gets pointed out in the media for murder. Now, if you are poor and Black, you would indeed live in a violent neighborhood.

That being said, no one raises a stink about Baltimore, which has a murder rate twice as high as Chicago's. And strict gun laws as well.

And something else no one has even considered. Last year, Nebraska ranked #1 in states with the highest Black murder rates. Nebraska has been in the top 10 as far as Black murder rates go. Omaha, like the state of Nebraska, is Republican, and has a low unemployment rate. However, Blacks seem to be doing quite badly. High levels of unemployment, high poverty rates(Omaha has one of the poorest Black populations in the USA), and high murders rates. Blacks in Nebraska also has a high level of geography segregation. 7 out of 10 Blacks in Nebraska live in Omaha.

No one is raising a stink about Pittsburgh, Detroit, Milwaukee, or Miami. Home to some very poor Black populations, and high unemployment rates for Blacks. Blacks are getting murdered in those cities at very high rates.

And I've never really trusted Al Sharpton. To me he comes off as a puppet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 12:54 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Texas has many more murders than Illinois. Let's obsess about that for a while.
Sorry, but the "he did it too!" defense doesn't work once you're past 5 years old.

Obama's Justice Department is acting faster and devoting more resources to the death of a drug using petty criminal than they did to the assassinations of a US ambassador and special forces soldiers by terrorists.

Obama's Justice Department is acting faster and devoting more resources to the death of a drug using petty criminal than they did to the deaths of 40 veterans waiting to receive medical treatment while the VA lied about the wait times.

The point here isn't who has more murders, red states or blue states. The point here is another demonstration by Obama that he is a selfish uncaring cretin. He is absolutely willing to make a big splash about a crime if he sees political advantage in it, and shows little or no interest in lifting a finger if he doesn't.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:55 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No, the question is, why do black people not complain when black on black crime happens....yet white on black....

Why is it that hard for people to understand?

Now, did the shooting bring it to the attention of everyone or the riots?

If blacks feel they are profiled...they are showing a hell of a way to protest it....

I'm profiled, I need a new TV....YEA lets go...

On the way there, goona shoot some of my profiled friends...

Common sense...is not being used...
No, the response you are responding to was to answer the question that was being asked about why this story was getting media attention when other stories were the races are reversed are not national news. The answer is because Whites do not protest or show as much interest. If Whites protested and /or rioted like some Blacks do, then those stories would also become national news.

I answered your question above in my above post ...

Old 08-19-2014, 12:57 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,032 times
Quote:
I can agree with some, nothing what you have explained, explains looting and shooting of others (your own people protesting with you), throwing gas bombs..... while protesting....sorry....
The looting and shooting has nothing to do with protesting what happened... It has to do with criminals taking advantage of the situation.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:04 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Sorry, but the "he did it too!" defense doesn't work once you're past 5 years old.
It absolutely does work if one keeps pointing fingers at a certain city conveniently ignoring the FACT that other cities have much higher violent crime rates. Could it be that Obama, that president that you don't like, is from Chicago?

Old 08-19-2014, 01:05 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Not that I want to deminish the focus on Chi-town as a violent cess pool... but you are right
MO is one of only 2 states with 2 cities in the top 10 and St. Louis has a murder rate almost twice that of Chicago...35.5 vs 18.5 per 100k
What bothers me is that so many people talk about only Chicago. No one brings up that St. Louis and Kansas City have high murder rates. And California is other state with 2 cities in the top 10.

Louisiana has the highest murder rate in the nation. Michigan is up there too with high murder rates. New Orleans and Detroit. No one seems to raise a stink about the crime in those cities.

From my own observations, Chicago is constantly mentioned because President Obama used to work there.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:17 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,093,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post

Obama's Justice Department is acting faster and devoting more resources to the death of a drug using petty criminal than they did to the assassinations of a US ambassador and special forces soldiers by terrorists.

Obama's Justice Department is acting faster and devoting more resources to the death of a drug using petty criminal than they did to the deaths of 40 veterans waiting to receive medical treatment while the VA lied about the wait times.

The point here isn't who has more murders, red states or blue states. The point here is another demonstration by Obama that he is a selfish uncaring cretin. He is absolutely willing to make a big splash about a crime if he sees political advantage in it, and shows little or no interest in lifting a finger if he doesn't.
It's not the "he did it too" defense. I don't live in Chicago. I just prefer conservatives to worry about more than one city.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:52 PM

639 posts, read 820,429 times
Quote:
No, the question is, why do black people not complain when black on black crime happens....yet white on black....

Why is it that hard for people to understand?

Now, did the shooting bring it to the attention of everyone or the riots?

If blacks feel they are profiled...they are showing a hell of a way to protest it....

I'm profiled, I need a new TV....YEA lets go...

On the way there, goona shoot some of my profiled friends...

Common sense...is not being used...
Are you kidding me? Blacks don't complain about blacks killing blacks? Blacks are always complaining about black on black crime at least where I'm from and I'm from New Orleans one of the most violent cities in America, sadly. Do you know how many rallies and events that are held in New Orleans to stop the violence in the community, where the community, community leaders and law enforcement get involved? I can assure things like this are going on in MOST if not ALL the major inner cities in America including Chi-Town, Detroit, St. Louis etc. You see, this is what pisses me off with some of the posters on here they talk about things they have no knowledge off. I guess I can't totally blame you. Why? Because the media don't show it to you so I guess you think it doesn't exists. They rather focus on the negative **** as usual.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:10 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,093,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Are you kidding me? Blacks don't complain about blacks killing blacks? Blacks are always complaining about black on black crime at least where I'm from and I'm from New Orleans one of the most violent cities in America, sadly. Do you know how many rallies and events that are held in New Orleans to stop the violence in the community, where the community, community leaders and law enforcement get involved? I can assure things like this are going on in MOST if not ALL the major inner cities in America including Chi-Town, Detroit, St. Louis etc. You see, this is what pisses me off with some of the posters on here they talk about things they have no knowledge off. I guess I can't totally blame you. Why? Because the media don't show it to you so I guess you think it doesn't exists. They rather focus on the negative **** as usual.

I agree with you. Whenever there's a cluster of shootings in Syracuse, it's usually followed by a rally. Same thing happened in Portland this summer while I was out there.

Of course, these are local rallies.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,866,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It absolutely does work if one keeps pointing fingers at a certain city conveniently ignoring the FACT that other cities have much higher violent crime rates. Could it be that Obama, that president that you don't like, is from Chicago?
Absolutely. The rightwingers that continually post about the crime rate in Chicago don't give a rat's ass about crime in Chicago or in any other inner city for that matter. It's just another excuse to bash the president. Every topic here on C-D turns into an excuse to bash the president the minute a rightwinger shows up in it, no matter what the subject of the thread actually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies