Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:48 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
As with so many things someone dislikes but is ignorant of, some familiarization goes a long way towards tamping down that dislike.
Finally, someone that took the same thing away from that video that I did.

And folks, skoro and I aren't exactly pals, either.

I'm somewhat surprised at the number of people that thought that the liberals in the video were somehow being insulted. I'm REALLY surprised at how many people took the OP as an attack against them personally. Wow! Talk about a persecution complex! There was nothing about the video or my OP that was insulting at all, yet these people still felt like they had to defend themselves or their ideologies.

This thread has turned into an interesting exercise in psychology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 11:54 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Offered for your enjoyment without comment.

Liberals Shoot Guns For The 1st Time - YouTube
I never understand this blanket thought that "liberals" are anti-gun. The difference between those that support gun control and those that don't is more of an urban vs rural thing. Yes, there is a correlation between our rural population being more conservative and our urban population being more liberal; however, from my experience many urban conservatives support gun-control just like many rural liberals are pro gun.

It's not as cut and dry as many would like to think. I lived in rural Oregon for many years, and most of those pot smoking/free thinking hippies are pro 2nd amendment.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:54 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It's good that your sister-in-law didn't have a gun. She would have regretted shooting a mentally disturbed person if like many amateur gun owners, she panicked and resorted to the use of force rather than call 911.
Having a gun and shooting someone with it are two entirely different things.

Why did you make the assumption that if she had a gun, she would have shot the intruder?

Old 08-20-2014, 11:58 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think it proves that liberals are ruled by emotion rather than facts.
The biggest differences between Libs and Cons are their views toward religion, which points to the exact opposite of your statement. I'm not pointing any fingers as I am neither.

Just keeping it real............

Old 08-20-2014, 12:03 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I believe my wife would be very upset and regretful if she had to shoot someone that was attacking her. She is a peaceful Christian person. We are very different personalities with very different life histories.

I would have no feelings, except for the annoyance over possible paperwork, at all. I left guilt behind in 'Nam.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Or she could have been raped and killed just as easily, but good thing she didn't have a gun!!!!1!1!!11

It is better waiting for the national average 11 minute response time from police than defending yourself. When life and death are seconds apart the police are only 11 minutes away.
Rape? You said it was a mentally disturbed woman. Funny how your story keep changing.

Silly slogan. Try thinking things through rather than mindlessly repeating some NRA maxim.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:13 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Having a gun and shooting someone with it are two entirely different things.

Why did you make the assumption that if she had a gun, she would have shot the intruder?
Why else would one keep a loaded gun in the house?

Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The most common use of a gun in the home is in the commission of domestic violence.
Not in my home or in the home of anyone I know that owns guns. Just so you know, banning guns does not actually stop people from owning guns, it just makes a lot of once honest citizens into criminals because they put their own and their families safety above rules handed down by people that have security people guarding them and theirs 24/7. I do not actually know one person, Liberal or Conservative, that owns guns that says they would turn them in if they were banned, I know that I would not give up what I legally bought unless it was one round at a time. Heck I saw the results of two different gun buy-back programs, what they got was a bunch of old guns that did not work or guns that someone in the family once own and when the person died the family was against owning guns and brought them in for the $50, and even the amount of those turned in was just a drop in the bucket, if that. The barn door has been open since this Nation was founded and trying to close the door at this time is ludicrous. Do you even have any idea how many guns are out there, it has to be in the Hundreds of Millions, I myself own over a dozen (hunting, self defense, and recreation) and I know people that have collections that dwarf that by a long shot. Even those I know that do not hunt have more than one for self defensive of the home, usually at least one shotgun and at least one handgun. There would be no way to get them all collected from all the owners, many law enforcement agencies would not even perform that order, the Sheriff of my country has openly stated they would never order their officers to violate the Constitution or Bill of Rights. I can not say what other communities would do if the government tried to go house to house trying to collect all the guns but I know what would happen where I live once the word got out it was happening, those doing the collecting would be involved in a armed struggle before they got past the first few homes and they would be outgunned, as the saying goes the dung would hit the fan at that point, and Texas would become a Nation once again.
Sounds like we are talking about a different issue, Domestic Violence, and just so you know a knife would also come in handy in those cases and often does, not to mention ash trays, lamps, baseball bats, umbrellas or anything else that is handy at the time, friends of mine in law enforcement tell me they have seen them all involved in Domestic Violence cases. Guns are Tools, it is not up to the tool how people use them hence it is not the Tool that is the problem, the problem is the operator, that is where the focus should be put when it comes to Domestic Violence. Funny how it always comes down to People, and since we cannot actually ban people and we cannot ban every possible tool People decide would make a good weapon, we need to try a different approach. Maybe a better approach would be to stop treating Domestic Violence as a different crime from Assault and Battery or Attempted Murder. If a man attacks his wife or if the wife attacks the husband the law takes one of them to jail for the night, well sometimes they do, and the next day they are free to go, go next door and assault the lady living there and see how they treat it, please explain the difference, there is none. Assault is Assault, no matter what their relationship is. When people understand that they will be charged with a serious crime and can do serious time in prison some will think twice before raising their hand to another. But as I said that is another topic.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:20 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Or she could have been raped and killed just as easily, but good thing she didn't have a gun!!!!1!1!!11

It is better waiting for the national average 11 minute response time from police than defending yourself. When life and death are seconds apart the police are only 11 minutes away.
They get there that fast, wow, they must be talking about those in an Urban setting, we have timed it out here and the average is closer to 20 minutes and sometimes it was longer, but nothing can happen in 20 minutes now can it

Old 08-20-2014, 12:35 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
They get there that fast, wow, they must be talking about those in an Urban setting, we have timed it out here and the average is closer to 20 minutes and sometimes it was longer, but nothing can happen in 20 minutes now can it
Exactly

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies