Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 PM

311 posts, read 56,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Look up how a taser is used.

If it's the firing kind, you have one shot, reloading a taser takes time so there's not backup. So if the cop misses or the offender pulls out the prods, what happens then?

If it's the contact kind, would you want to close in with an aggressive person with an incredible size/strength advantage over you?

The bottom line is that you fight to your strengths.

I've seen war and we fight to our advantages such as using night vision, surveillance, technology, etc. Are the good guys supposed to give up their advantages to fight "fair"?

One of my Drill Sergeants once told us: don't be a target and you won't get shot at.

He meant that literally and as a life lesson: if you expose yourself to trouble, it just might find you and you probably won't like it.

If this "kid" wasn't walking in the street, there wouldn't have been any contact with the police.

The biggest thug in this whole fiasco is the media, instead of reporting facts (the little facts released), they're reporting an agenda with headlines such as "black unarmed teen killed by white cop." It sounds like the media has already crucified the cop while using 3+ year old pictures when the "kid" really was a kid and not someone who towers over the average American male.

I'm a big believer that it's the media that has turned this into a race issue.

Instead of reporting facts and letting viewers/readers come to our own conclusions, they're trying to cram their conclusion down our throats. And having members of the "press" trespassing and filming them being arrested as the cops trying to silence the press isn't just awful "reporting", it's just being a richard head about all of this.

So true

Old 08-19-2014, 09:33 PM

671 posts, read 690,067 times
Default Media skews it all up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1smalldot View Post
I thought police have tasers. Why cant the police officer just use a taser on him to immobilize the teenager? The kids is unarmed, i dont understand why he had to use his gun on him, and shot him, not once, but several times.
1 small dot - I answered your question in the Ferguson war zone thread...The taser can't be used at a distance...Brown was punching the officer in the eye and face, and then ran. When an officer has been attacked, and calls out for you to "freeze" and you don't, you'll be taken down. When Brown charged the officer (as per multiple eyewitness accounts now that have just come out), the officer (rightly so) had to prevent himself from being attacked again. Dr. Baden, the pathologist, said the first couple of shots in Brown's arm and even the right side of his torso didn't stop him. Also, the officer probably double or triple - tapped the trigger, with shots fired in rapid succession. It's not just one shot in the knee, like you see on TV. Since the officer now feared for his life, and had a charging "giant" running towards him, he kept on shooting until Brown went down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1smalldot View Post
He was punched in the face because he was choking the kid. I would do the same if i was pulled into a car and was being choked. He punched him so he can pull out of the police car.... and as he was running away, unarmed, they shot at him.. why?
Do you know this for a fact? Is that why the "kid" -er- man (6'5", 300 pounds) punched him? Because he was being choked? I thought everyone knew you DON'T fight an officer, not to mention punch him in the face. Also, he's a suspect and criminal at this point...THAT's why they shot at him. What else was the officer supposed to do? Let a criminal just run away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Look up how a taser is used.

If it's the firing kind, you have one shot, reloading a taser takes time so there's not backup. So if the cop misses or the offender pulls out the prods, what happens then?

If it's the contact kind, would you want to close in with an aggressive person with an incredible size/strength advantage over you?

The bottom line is that you fight to your strengths.

I've seen war and we fight to our advantages such as using night vision, surveillance, technology, etc. Are the good guys supposed to give up their advantages to fight "fair"?

One of my Drill Sergeants once told us: don't be a target and you won't get shot at.

He meant that literally and as a life lesson: if you expose yourself to trouble, it just might find you and you probably won't like it.

If this "kid" wasn't walking in the street, there wouldn't have been any contact with the police.

The biggest thug in this whole fiasco is the media, instead of reporting facts (the little facts released), they're reporting an agenda with headlines such as "black unarmed teen killed by white cop." It sounds like the media has already crucified the cop while using 3+ year old pictures when the "kid" really was a kid and not someone who towers over the average American male.

I'm a big believer that it's the media that has turned this into a race issue.

Instead of reporting facts and letting viewers/readers come to our own conclusions, they're trying to cram their conclusion down our throats. And having members of the "press" trespassing and filming them being arrested as the cops trying to silence the press isn't just awful "reporting", it's just being a richard head about all of this.
First logical post I've read in this thread, or the warzone thread. Darn right the media is part of this circus. So are the protesters, and the people heard on the various posted cell phone videos after the fact. I heard a woman screaming "he's just a child...", and others saying "the PO-leese just shot the n*gg*r for no reason, no reason at all". So, of course, when the ignorant and uneducated hear this garbage, they believe it! And then, of course, are the protesters marching holding their hands up. According to credible eyewitnesses, Brown didn't have his hands up to surrender...they might have been halfway up as he was charging towards the officer, running! This would also explain the multiple entry/exit wounds, as his body was leaning forward as he ran towards the officer.

Sharpie and jack-sun are media whores...and should be charged with inciting violence and riots from their rants in Ferguson. Would they be there if the cop happened to be black???? I wonder...

Tell me, where were these idiots when 40-50 blacks were killed by other blacks in Chicago a week before this Brown incident? Why aren't they trying to hold these criminals accountable, and appealing to the black community to stop this violence against each other?? And, what about the little black kids and babies getting killed by stray bullets? Where's the outrage there? The protests? They would do a lot more good there...oh, but wait, the media probably wouldn't think that's a "newsworthy" story...or racist enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Sadly the officer in this case will be hung out to dry just to appease thugs.
I hope not. Also, I'm glad to hear that this officer has at least SOME support by social media via facebook! If he IS hung out to dry, then I think we should all protest...but peaceably, and at the White House!!! If "O" is going to make this a federal case (which he's already done...), then a protest in front of the WH is the place to do it. The media can't ignore THAT one!!!

Dandiday

Old 08-19-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
1 small dot - I answered your question in the Ferguson war zone thread...The taser can't be used at a distance...Brown was punching the officer in the eye and face, and then ran. When an officer has been attacked, and calls out for you to "freeze" and you don't, you'll be taken down. When Brown charged the officer (as per multiple eyewitness accounts now that have just come out), the officer (rightly so) had to prevent himself from being attacked again. Dr. Baden, the pathologist, said the first couple of shots in Brown's arm and even the right side of his torso didn't stop him. Also, the officer probably double or triple - tapped the trigger, with shots fired in rapid succession. It's not just one shot in the knee, like you see on TV. Since the officer now feared for his life, and had a charging "giant" running towards him, he kept on shooting until Brown went down.

Do you know this for a fact? Is that why the "kid" -er- man (6'5", 300 pounds) punched him? Because he was being choked? I thought everyone knew you DON'T fight an officer, not to mention punch him in the face. Also, he's a suspect and criminal at this point...THAT's why they shot at him. What else was the officer supposed to do? Let a criminal just run away?

First logical post I've read in this thread, or the warzone thread. Darn right the media is part of this circus. So are the protesters, and the people heard on the various posted cell phone videos after the fact. I heard a woman screaming "he's just a child...", and others saying "the PO-leese just shot the n*gg*r for no reason, no reason at all". So, of course, when the ignorant and uneducated hear this garbage, they believe it! And then, of course, are the protesters marching holding their hands up. According to credible eyewitnesses, Brown didn't have his hands up to surrender...they might have been halfway up as he was charging towards the officer, running! This would also explain the multiple entry/exit wounds, as his body was leaning forward as he ran towards the officer.

Sharpie and jack-sun are media whores...and should be charged with inciting violence and riots from their rants in Ferguson. Would they be there if the cop happened to be black???? I wonder...

Tell me, where were these idiots when 40-50 blacks were killed by other blacks in Chicago a week before this Brown incident? Why aren't they trying to hold these criminals accountable, and appealing to the black community to stop this violence against each other?? And, what about the little black kids and babies getting killed by stray bullets? Where's the outrage there? The protests? They would do a lot more good there...oh, but wait, the media probably wouldn't think that's a "newsworthy" story...or racist enough.

I hope not. Also, I'm glad to hear that this officer has at least SOME support by social media via facebook! If he IS hung out to dry, then I think we should all protest...but peaceably, and at the White House!!! If "O" is going to make this a federal case (which he's already done...), then a protest in front of the WH is the place to do it. The media can't ignore THAT one!!!

Dandiday
Thank you for answering some of my 'why's'.
thank you for explaining it on why the officer did what he did. so far the media is making it seem like a racial issue. and on here, all i read is comments from people taking sides.

I am an Army vet, i know how sometimes when your life is on the stakes.. you would do what is necessary to live.

I have two pictures here that im looking at..
one with Mr. Brown leaving the store when he stole the box of cigs.
The other picture is of officer Wilson when he was getting an award.

some of my co-workers hasnt been watching or reading the news on whats going on in Furgason.
When i showed them this picture and explain whats happening in the picture..
right off the bat they'll say that officer wilson was a good citizen cus he had no records, did great on his job and recieved a medal... and thet Mr. Brown is not a good citizen and should be behind bars.

After getting that from them.. i asked them .. if this police officer shoots mr. Brown and killed him without knowing that the Mr. Brown stole and that Mr. Brown was unarmed when he shot him.. will they see the officer as the same person they say he was before he shot Mr. Brown?
Some said yes, Mr Brown stole and is a criminal and since the police had done a great job being a cop , he probaply did the right thing.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,426,304 times
I support Officer Wilson! He did what he needed to do when attacked by a 300 pound thug who just committed robbery and gave him an "orbital blowout fracture to the eye socket." It's disgusting how the media and protesters are treating this man. The callous, criminal media even sent someone to his house to pretty much broadcast where he lives.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:20 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
I have no idea what happened...

I do know going around looting and damaging property will cause more pain and suffering and won't do a thing to bring back the deceased.

Growing up in East Oakland... my parents always told me to avoid trouble and if I should find myself in a situation with Law Enforcement I should never ever give the officer a reason.

Been pulled over plenty of times when I was younger... never a ticket... most of the time I never really knew why I was pulled over... Officer would asked where I was going, why I was out late and for license and registration... even asked to open my trunk and been patted down...

In every case I just did what I was told and in every case my license and registration was returned and I was told to go about my business... sometimes they would write down their badge number and most often not.

Maybe my parents were just smarter than a lot of parents today?

Old 08-19-2014, 10:47 PM

I can understand why the cops threw tear gas at the reporters.. just my thought.. maybe because the reporters are reporting what they want the media to listen to, making it into a racial issue, making the cops look like crooks. I can imagine how hard it is for the cops to try and control the riots and the protest when most of the people think they are bad, and all cus the reporters made it like that.

I wonder if it would be different if the cop was black?

Old 08-19-2014, 10:52 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
^^^ Sadly, most likely yes...

I had really hoped and expected the country to become more united under President Obama... if anything, it seems to me we are becoming more polarized.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-21-2014 at 03:40 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 11:21 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,184,653 times
What I have not seen is cell phone videos or pictures from the supposed witnesses. That would certainly give us a clearer picture.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:47 AM

268 posts, read 344,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
Oh boy, another one. Why don't you READ the more informative posts...better yet, educate yourself by watching the posted videos and reading the newspapers...the ones with the Reuter's or Associated Press sources. Maybe you'll learn that your statement above has absolutely no merit.

DD

oh please you racists always trying to justify whte folks bs

Old 08-20-2014, 02:48 AM

268 posts, read 344,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I cannot picture how someone can be sitting, and be able to reach the neck of a very tall large man from inside the car. It does not ring true. and why would he do that if he had a weapon to use? it just does not seem logical nor possible nor reasonable. It does not make sense.

driving freaking a SUV that is how!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies