Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1smalldot View Post
I cant support anyone whoever it is, or stand behind someone that killed someone.. even if they say its the right thing to do. Killing is wrong period!

Shoot out his legs instead, cripple him for life so he doesnt go out stealing anything anymore. That would be a smarter move.
You may or may not have experience with firearms & shooting, but what you suggest is much more difficult to do than you think. Especially when it's a moving target & you only have seconds to deal with it. In the military (and yes the police), you are trained to shoot center of mass (chest area) because that gives you the best chance to stop the threat that's coming at you. Even if you were a good enough marksman to hit someone running at you in the leg, there's a very good chance that might not stop him and he could still be on you. Then it's too late.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:16 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1smalldot View Post
I cant support anyone whoever it is, or stand behind someone that killed someone.. even if they say its the right thing to do. Killing is wrong period!

Shoot out his legs instead, cripple him for life so he doesnt go out stealing anything anymore. That would be a smarter move.
This is getting really exhausting, however I'll try again. PO's are taught to shoot for center mass to stop the threat. When you see law enforcement on TV shoot the gun out of the perps hand, that's just what TV cops do.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:23 PM

540 posts, read 453,371 times
If a cop shoots or kills a person it's because they deserve it. Period. Cop are well trained and know what they are doing and if they stop you its because you broke a law.

And we should use military against those "people". They've done nothing of value for this country. Can anyone name one? That's what I thought. Name one cop that killed the wrong person? I can't think of any. And racism, like sexism, is dead.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I don't think we have enough facts to make that call yet.

If ballistics / forensics finds that the kid was probably on his knees (or going down on his knees) with his hands up, after giving up fleeing, then the officer made a huge mistake.

If he was charging the cop, then Michael Brown made a huge mistake.

Either way, there are no winners here. This is a bad situation and it just keeps getting worse.
You make a good point, and you could well be right. What many people have a problem with, however, is that the president (and others in his administration) seems perfectly willing "to make that call" before all the facts are in. Again.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:27 PM

And yet you use the pic of a woman-beater and rapist to try to make a joke. Not surprising. Darrel Wilson did nothing wrong he was doing his job.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Hahaha, you're naive like a small child.
Because I believe in the police force? No. You're just a liberal supporter that's anti-white. You do know that's whites are under attack in this nation right? Systematically denied jobs and homes just for being white in ways far worse than blacks have ever been treated and that's a fact.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 PM

741 posts, read 915,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
This is getting really exhausting, however I'll try again. PO's are taught to shoot for center mass to stop the threat. When you see law enforcement on TV shoot the gun out of the perps hand, that's just what TV cops do.
The problem is, this is a tangent where the core issue is lost because someone with unrealistic understanding of deadly force scenarios talks about 'shooting the leg' and authoritarian cop apologist as*holes seize on that to 'make the point' that shooting guns out of hands isn't realistic, thus distracting away from the fact that me may have not been justified to shoot in the first place and their entire position is awful from the get-go.

We agree. If cops are justified to shoot, they're justified to aim at the center of mass.

The question here is whether or not they were justified to shoot in the first place and what dispensation we give them to 'keep shooting' after a person is down, with their hands up, whatever.

The Internet Gun Forum Tactical Expert narrative is that "YOU KEEP SHOOTING UNTIL THE THREAT IS NEUTRALIZED SO IF THEY'RE DOWN, KEEP SHOOTING THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!" but that may be as unrealistic and legally untenable as "IF YOU SHOOT 'EM OUTSIDE, DRAG 'EM BACK IN!!!"

The fact of the matter is, a jury of 12 may find that a person down/with their hands up no longer constitutes a threat and thus, continuing to shoot them may be criminally actionable.

Use of force theorists have theories but as we've seen in cases like Michael Dunn, etc, theories and scenarios don't mean a jury will believe you or find your narrative credible.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I appreciate the right to protest, but why would anyone with common sense support a would be cop killer?
Why would anyone with common sense support a killer cop? After all, no one, except for the eye witnesses, knows what truly happened, and who's guilty and who's innocent.

Mistrust between Ferguson's citizens and its police force was already present prior to the death of Michael Brown. The outrage didn't come out of nowhere, this case was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Quote:
There were two possible outcomes in this case. 1. Michael Brown gets the gun and probably kills Darren Wilson. The taxpayers have to support him on death row as he exhausts his appeals. 2. Darren Wilson defends his life as a police officer and shoots and kills the perpetrator who injured him and tried to get his gun.
Why were there only two possible outcomes? And why is Michael Brown automatically in the wrong in both scenarios?

Old 08-25-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Why would anyone with common sense support a killer cop? After all, no one, except for the eye witnesses, knows what truly happened, and who's guilty and who's innocent.

Mistrust between Ferguson's citizens and its police force was already present prior to the death of Michael Brown. The outrage didn't come out of nowhere, this case was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Why were there only two possible outcomes? And why is Michael Brown automatically in the wrong in both scenarios?
Because he's a thug.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:22 PM

Another post with no compelling argument to prove me wrong. You people make me laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies