Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 09:59 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crue cab View Post
Funny, I don't see white people kicking in doors and looting shops, or was it a white guy that punched the cop?, or was there a white counter part to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton?
Please show some racism from "all sides".
White people don't have to do the same things, to be racist. There are plenty of things that some white people have done, just read some of the comments that people have made about the young man deserving to be killed. Let's be clear we do not know the race of the individual who created the facebook group in the OP, but it's pretty ridiculous to throw out support of someone without knowing the facts. I would say that's just as ignorant as anything any of these ignorant looters/violent protesters are doing. You seem to only see racism as a form of activism, but it's much deeper than that.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:59 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Look up how a taser is used.

If it's the firing kind, you have one shot, reloading a taser takes time so there's not backup. So if the cop misses or the offender pulls out the prods, what happens then?

If it's the contact kind, would you want to close in with an aggressive person with an incredible size/strength advantage over you?

The bottom line is that you fight to your strengths.

I've seen war and we fight to our advantages such as using night vision, surveillance, technology, etc. Are the good guys supposed to give up their advantages to fight "fair"?

One of my Drill Sergeants once told us: don't be a target and you won't get shot at.

He meant that literally and as a life lesson: if you expose yourself to trouble, it just might find you and you probably won't like it.

If this "kid" wasn't walking in the street, there wouldn't have been any contact with the police.

The biggest thug in this whole fiasco is the media, instead of reporting facts (the little facts released), they're reporting an agenda with headlines such as "black unarmed teen killed by white cop." It sounds like the media has already crucified the cop while using 3+ year old pictures when the "kid" really was a kid and not someone who towers over the average American male.

I'm a big believer that it's the media that has turned this into a race issue.

Instead of reporting facts and letting viewers/readers come to our own conclusions, they're trying to cram their conclusion down our throats. And having members of the "press" trespassing and filming them being arrested as the cops trying to silence the press isn't just awful "reporting", it's just being a richard head about all of this.

Very well said.

When the three blacks robbed and killed my blonde, college student cousin, they were also unarmed so what is their point? If someone is raised to have no respect for our laws and other people, whether they have a gun makes little difference - violence is violence. We all saw that guys behavior in the store and doubt it was an isolated incident but an indication of his past, present, and future.

I totally support the officer for do all he could to protect the public from such violence.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:19 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have no problem with an officer doing his job and I have no problem with an officer using force to do his job however, I wonder if it was really necessary to shoot the guy 6 times.
That is what is very concerning regarding this incident.
I would have emptied the clip if a huge 6'4" 300lb man was attacking me and trying to get my gun.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:37 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
A story as old as time.

Guy commits pitiful 'Suicide by Cop,' guy becomes martyr for astoundingly misleading mass media and astoundingly misled 'protestors.'

Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I just don't get how anyone can support one side or the other until the facts are known. I mean, I support the police in general and I support civil rights and not shooting people for no reason, but honestly, I don't know what really went on so how could I take a stance?
You can't; and you haven't because you are rational. Unfortunatelly that means you are also in the minority.

What's really sad is that once the facts do come out it won't matter a bit. Even if all parties involved, white and black, police and civillian, all agree on what happened and who was responsible, those who have already made up their minds won't change their opinions.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You can't; and you haven't because you are rational. Unfortunatelly that means you are also in the minority.

What's really sad is that once the facts do come out it won't matter a bit. Even if all parties involved, white and black, police and civillian, all agree on what happened and who was responsible, those who have already made up their minds won't change their opinions.
Agreed 1000%. It's sad.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:16 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
What is going to happen, if and when the officer gets acquitted? Will there be riots? From the past history of such things, I am hoping it wont, but,,, if this is whats happening now, oh boy im scared to say.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
White people don't have to do the same things, to be racist. There are plenty of things that some white people have done, just read some of the comments that people have made about the young man deserving to be killed. Let's be clear we do not know the race of the individual who created the facebook group in the OP, but it's pretty ridiculous to throw out support of someone without knowing the facts. I would say that's just as ignorant as anything any of these ignorant looters/violent protesters are doing. You seem to only see racism as a form of activism, but it's much deeper than that.
I would not say he "deserved" to be killed, however, there is the "reap what you sow" and if you are making a bad choice, you might end up with severe consequences that you didn't think would happen.

it could have been prevented by a few simple steps.. for one - don't walk down in the middle of a busy street.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:21 AM

671 posts, read 690,577 times
Default There's a larger concern here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here you go - now you've heard of a black police officer shooting an unarmed white man.

Witness, Ranger explain Monday fatal shooting » Local News » orangeleader.com (Orange, Texas)

By the way, though the man who was shot was unarmed, the black police officer received back pay as well as a settlement in a civil rights case (he claimed he was discriminated against).

Here's an article you may find interesting:
Cop in the Hood: Police kill white people, too

From the article:
Excellent links and articles - I agree that many if not most officers are showing restraint in the situation of being threatened by suspects...especially if the suspect/criminal could be armed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
All situations like this shows is how racists this country is from all sides. People are taking sides based on the individuals involved and not really considering the facts.
Yes, it appears people are jumping to immediate and unfounded conclusions via race alone...but there's a larger concern. See parts of my post below from some research and data from the FBI below. That issue is, if young black men cause a majority of the violent crime, is it unreasonable to fear for one's life if confronted by a person like Mike Brown?

He was huge at 6'5", almost 300 pounds...with the knowledge of the overwhelming prevalence of young black male crime and violence (over 50% of their population and age group) as opposed to young white men who, according to the data, have less crime, and much less violent crime, I'm sure ALL policemen, black and white, are "on edge" to the max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I'll answer your question....there was no white racism. But if blacks don't stop with the ghetto guilt trips there certainly will be a turn around in the attitude of most whites to blacks.

Many people are getting sick of the black persecution complex.
True, as well as the black Pastor who "ranted" against black people continuing to give excuse after excuse as to why they are violent or can't conduct themselves in other than violent or animalistic ways. (See his thread on Current Events or here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTUqOBJsRdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
He didn't die for committing a robbery. He died for going after the policeman's gun, assaulting the officer, and then finally charging him to where the officer feared for his life. He was also 6'4" and 292 lbs. He was armed with THAT if you want to get technical. Deadly force was warranted.
yes, that's part of it from a policeman's standpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I would have emptied the clip if a huge 6'4" 300lb man was attacking me and trying to get my gun.
I would have as well. Race wouldn't matter ...fear for my life WOULD prompt my actions, especially if I was just in a scuffle or attacked/hit by this huge man.

Here is some data to consider:

WILLIAMS: Blacks must face their community's problems together - Washington Times

It's indisputable, that more young black men are committing more crime per capita than any other race....and the crime is usually violent, or ends in murder:

Crime Stats Alarm Black Leaders | American Free Press
the article is "Crime Stats Alarm Black Leaders":

"The implications are shocking: Nearly 50% of all black males and 38% of white men will be arrested by the age of 23. These statistics, compiled by four college professors between the years 1997-2008, were published in the January 6 edition of the journal Crime & Delinquency."

However, the type of crime is vastly different...blacks committed mostly violent crimes and murder, whilst whites committed burglaries and DUIs.

" A 2012 study by the Department of Justice’s Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention revealed that in 2010 black youths committed six times more murders, three times more rapes, 10 times more robberies and three times more assaults than did their white counterparts. "
++++
And another article:

“An analysis of ‘single offender victimization figures’ from the FBI for 2007 finds blacks committed 433,934 crimes against whites, eight times the 55,685 whites committed against blacks. Interracial rape is almost exclusively black on white — with 14,000 assaults on white women by African Americans in 2007. Not one case of a white sexual assault on a black female was found in the FBI study.”
Though blacks are outnumbered 5-to-1 in the population by whites, they commit eight times as many crimes against whites as the reverse. By those 2007 numbers, a black male was 40 times as likely to assault a white person as the reverse."
Black America's real problem isn't white racism

----If I was a policeman in that neighborhood, I'd have this data in the back of my mind. If 50% or more of young black men commit a violent crime against someone - I'd have a 50-50 chance of receiving the same from Mr. Brown.
-----Add to that, Mr. Brown just attacked me, struck me. Why is he running? He's not following the law, #1, and #2, given the stats and data, his running has a 50-50 chance of meaning he's hiding something, or just committed a crime.
-----Add to that, I'm shaken up, because I've been struck and attacked by a huge, violent man.

So, knowing the human body's response to an attack as well as fear, the officer may have also, in part, "reacted" from that "flight or fight" response that biochemically happens in one's body, as he tried to either capture or subdue Mr. Brown.

This probably explains, from a medical standpoint, why the officer paced back and forth near Brown's body.

Medically speaking, he was most likely in a state of shock. Or at the very least, incredulous at just what occurred, and what he did.

His post-shooting actions reveal that psychologically, he was incredibly upset with either what just occurred, as well as his part in this tragedy.

In other words, knowing the data about black violence (especially black-on-white violence), the human body's physiological response, the officer's fear for his life, and just having been attacked and in pain, he may have been on "auto-pilot" rather than being racist and shooting "just because" this was a black person, or shooting at Brown because he was racist and didn't "like" black people.

Yes, this TOO is wrong. Our policemen DO have a standard to uphold. They are supposed to be trained for this. It DOES occur that policemen make mistakes. Horrible, tragic mistakes.

I'm just trying to point out to the average citizen out there that there are physiological processes going on in such a heightened situation as well.

Whatever the legal and judicial process and outcome, information such as the data above, as well as the officer's response, can't be ignored, and are ALL part of the problem!

With regard to "racism"...I was truly surprised at the data I found above. I hadn't known just how many young black males are violent, or partake in violent crime. More shocking to me was the amount and prevalence of not only black -on-black violent crime, but black-on-white violent crime.

An important point to remember, is that a majority of the black-on-white crime is premeditated if you look at the violent crimes like armed robberies, rape, etc.

***Of the reported and documented rapes in the one study above, ALL were perpetrated either black-on-black, or black-on-white. There wasn't a SINGLE CASE of a white -on-black rape.

So, from this data, it's clear there's a problem within the young black male community and mindset...it would behoove EVERYONE to figure this out, and try to solve. I think this is the BIGGER issue here. Maybe the officer had thought the same thing...and succumbed to his fear.

AGAIN, I'm NOT saying or justifying what the officer did was right at this point (still have to wait for ALL of the data to be processed) - also not saying what Brown did was right - I don't support either of their actions.

But we MUST be aware of the bigger issue here, (the prevalence of black violent crime) and try to solve it. It's already become incredibly and tragically out of control.
Dandiday

Old 08-20-2014, 11:26 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

I took a look at some of these comments. I don't think it is too bright to post your views on such a controversial issue showing your picture, full name, and where you live these days.

But than many on FB aren't too smart to begin with. Same type of people who think the world needs to know they're going on vacation, but they don't bother to tell the neighbors so they can keep on their house, most likely due to the fact they don't even know their names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies