Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:45 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,702 times

Advertisements

Oddly, my small agricultural neighborhood sits on an literal desert oasis, wells have been gushers since the 1920's, even though we are in the high desert, elev 4100. Now, FWIW, the big man made ponds that held water up until the late 1980's have dried up. But we have over 50 oak trees over 200 year old just on our lot. Hence I would figure, we had water long before any water projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 04:35 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I don't remember seeing any illegals on the golf course.

[well, except the lawnmower man]
Here is Ann Coulters comments on the topic:

Many times when I (Ann Coulter) am troubled or confused, I find comfort in sitting in my back yard and having a vodka and cranberry along with a quiet conversation with Jesus. This happened to me again after a particularly difficult day.

I said "Jesus, why do I work so hard?"

And I heard the reply: "Men find many ways to demonstrate the love they have for their family. You work hard to have a peaceful, beautiful place for your friends and family to gather."

I said: "I thought that money was the root of all evil."

And the reply was: "No, the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.
Money is a tool; it can be used for good or bad".

I was starting to feel better, but I still had that one burning question, so I asked it. "Jesus," I said, "what is the meaning of life? Why am I here?"

He replied: "That is a question many men ask. The answer is in your heart and is different for everyone. I would love to chat with you some more, Senora, but for now, I have to finish your lawn.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:06 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
They may have to have an initiative banning any new immigrants into the state.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:17 AM

25,845 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
And deporting the ones who are there illegally. I don't understand why anyone has a problem with that. They go HOME and then they LEGALLY apply for citizenship and wait in line with everyone else.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:45 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
The bottom line is that we know from science that California's rainfall climate is the most volatile in the country, these kind of droughts happen, and much longer and more intense droughts do happen regardless of how the global climate is changing. California should be prepared for these events, and it doesn't help that the period of weather record that all preparations are based upon was the 20th century, one of the wettest centuries of the past 7000 years - we know now that the true average rainfall for the Southwestern U.S. is about what fell during the worst droughts of the 20th century. In terms of acquiring water for the thirsts and other uses of Californians not nearly enough was done when they built the aqueducts and desalination plants. Much more is needed, because even if you conserve water during this drought and the rains return someday a much worse one will come similar to the 845-1090 and 1140-1320 megadroughts, where rainfall will be similar or less than the current drought's for centuries.

Two solutions are obvious - diverting water from places far to the north such as the northern Cascades and Coast Range that have truly reliable water supplies going to very few people, and desalination from the ocean right in California. If these two solutions are implemented on a large scale California will have abundant water indefinitely, and the environment will still be sound.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:53 AM

If you can read up in the environmentalist hell Poseidon went through to get a desalinization plant under way in San Diego.

Like everything else with the Sierra Club/Surfriders et al, is was Desalinization/Solar/Wind!! rah, rah. rah. Until someone pulled a permit to actually build one.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:40 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
As someone who lives in San Diego and who has for decades I can tell you that you are wrong. The project was actually fast tracked and got a lot of the permits waved. What DID actually hold up the project was political corruption and the official police investigation into said political corruption when the private company which got the contract to build and operate the desal plant gave massive under the table "campaign donations" to local politicians who then gave the company official contracts which were just unbelievably expensive with lots of give aways and padding in them. We're talking water 2-3 times more expensive than even the grossly over inflated prices we pay LADWP for water. The whole original problem was LADWP charges people in San Diego 2-3 times more than it charges people in LA and OC and so Desal was supposed to be cheaper than LADWP's price raping; charging us 3 times what it charges people in other counties for the same water. The contracts got renegotiated so that now we'll only pay 1.5 times what LADWP was already over charging us instead of 3 times; that means we'll still be pay 4.5 times what the same amount of water would cost someone in LA.

Over all, it truly would have been better and more cost effective for the city water utility department to have built it themselves and ran it as a public utility without the massive profiteering and political corruption form our local corrupt Republican good old boy network.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post

<triumph the insult comic dog> For the 9th Circuit to poop on!</Triumph the insult comic dog>

Old 08-30-2014, 10:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The bottom line is that we know from science that California's rainfall climate is the most volatile in the country, these kind of droughts happen, and much longer and more intense droughts do happen regardless of how the global climate is changing. California should be prepared for these events, and it doesn't help that the period of weather record that all preparations are based upon was the 20th century, one of the wettest centuries of the past 7000 years - we know now that the true average rainfall for the Southwestern U.S. is about what fell during the worst droughts of the 20th century. In terms of acquiring water for the thirsts and other uses of Californians not nearly enough was done when they built the aqueducts and desalination plants. Much more is needed, because even if you conserve water during this drought and the rains return someday a much worse one will come similar to the 845-1090 and 1140-1320 megadroughts, where rainfall will be similar or less than the current drought's for centuries.
Source for that? Not that I don't believe you, just curious for more information.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:15 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Some damned minnow might die or some other useless critter.
I usually have a good laugh at the expense of those who feature themselves a scientist of sorts, and to top that they often entertain us with their one liner quips of pretzel logic. That said, we all know of the ever present concerns regarding the jump in mentality of our past eco mistakes created by a near frantic desire to maintain "our way of life". That "way" all too often includes the "damn all creatures" who dare stand in our way of techno advances mentality.

Whether distillation or RO processing is utilized the desalination of seawater is not so easy to accomplish when done in concert with ALL of the concerns of ALL parties, marine life included. "Useless critters", most of these are of the two legged kind in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies