Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 06:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,416,732 times

Advertisements

Here's a list of pros and cons.

Circumcision: Pros and Cons | Mother-Baby Health | Southeast Michigan | Wayne State Family Care | Wayne State University Physicians Group

Old 08-25-2014, 06:31 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,416,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Mail circumcision exist for the same reasons that female circumcision does. FGM exist to remove the clitoris and negatively affect sexual pleasure. Circumcision exist to remove a males ability to masturbate without the aid of some kind of lubricant.
You'd have to remove the g-l-a-n-s (seriously, we bleep out proper names of the anatomy?) to compare FGM to male circumcision. You cannot compare removal of the foreskin to removal of the clitoris. Without a clitoris women cannot have orgasms (I can tell you from experience that mine is very important in this department). FGM renders women impotent. Unable to enjoy sex. It also risks her health and that of her children in childbirth because the tissue must be cut to allow the baby to be born. There is no comparison here.

"The highest maternal and infant mortality rates are in FGM-practicing regions.[SIZE=2]17[/SIZE] The actual number of girls who die as a result of FGM is not known. However, in areas in the Sudan where antibiotics are not available, it is estimated that one-third of the girls undergoing FGM will die."
http://www.path.org/files/FGM-The-Facts.htm

Seriously? There is no comparison between male circumcision and FGM. Excision (as described in the link) would be the closest thing. At least this does not render a woman impotent and the tissue surrounding the opening of the vagina could stretch during birth as it is supposed to.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-25-2014 at 06:45 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 06:43 PM

37,054 posts, read 42,002,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
When you permanently disfigure a child based on some silly religious superstition or tradition, it's time to think about making it illegal. Is it legal for a parent to have a baby's face tattooed? Their ears disfigured with "gages" (and I don't know, it just might be). Is it legal to alter a baby girl's genitals for "tradition"?
I've never met a guy who considered himself permanently disfigured. And you know female genital mutilation is not even in the same category as circumcision so stop pretending it is.

When you can't see the different between the two it's pointless to debate.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,260,017 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake

When you permanently disfigure a child based on
some silly religious superstition or tradition, it's time to think about making
it illegal. Is it legal for a parent to have a baby's face tattooed? Their ears
disfigured with "gages" (and I don't know, it just might be). Is it legal to
alter a baby girl's genitals for "tradition"?
Let me ask my son if he feels "permanently disfigured".

Nope, not even a little. He thanked me again.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:13 PM

16 posts, read 14,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Pretty much this...

As far as the OP....Wow, now I've seen it all on C-D...
The level of stupid is astounding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've never met a guy who considered himself permanently disfigured. And you know female genital mutilation is not even in the same category as circumcision so stop pretending it is.

When you can't see the different between the two it's pointless to debate.
He needs to take a human anatomy class. He clearly doesn't realize that removing the head of the clitoris and/or the labia is not the female equivalent of the foreskin. It's actually the female equivalent of removing your penis and/or your scr*tum (really). Basically it's as close to castration as you can get with women, and I'm pretty sure that we don't allow castration. Oh and the fact that he compares circumcision to abortion is just laughable.

Last edited by Unak78; 08-25-2014 at 07:24 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 07:28 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,764,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unak78 View Post
1. Basically it's as close to castration as you can get with women,

2. and I'm pretty sure that we don't allow castration.

3. Oh and the fact that he compares circumcision to abortion is just laughable.
1. Actually, No--the female equivalent of castration is ovary removal.

2. For children? Of course not. Of course, I do think that consenting, mentally sane adults should be able to get this procedure done on themselves, though.

3. Actually, I have heard people justify legalized abortion and justify circumcision bans for the same reason--an individual should be able to decide what happens to his or her own body.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It looks like a sea lamprey from the depths of the ocean. Not very appetizing.
Your opinion here only matters in regards to the male(s) with which you have sex.

Else, I don't see why exactly one has to care about your opinion on this issue (and for the record, I myself am circumcised).

Old 08-25-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Let me ask my son if he feels "permanently disfigured".

Nope, not even a little. He thanked me again.
Generalizing as a result of one specific example/case doesn't appear to be a particularly good move.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
1. There is NEVER a reason to make something ILLEGAL unless there is a reason.

2. Something not being necessary for most people isn't where you draw the line and make criminals out of people who does it anyway. That is flawed thinking.

3. It's not necessary for me to eat a cookie either (and you can argue all the health problems that come from it) but make it ILLEGAL? Ummm..no.
1. This doesn't appear to make sense.

2. Not necessarily, considering that this decision is not being made due to one's own body and considering that I am unsure as to whether or not the impact of circumcision can be fully reversed. Also, it is worth noting that circumcision carries a risk of death, albeit a very small one.

3. Considering that you are putting this cookie into your own body, I don't see why this should be illegal.

Last edited by Futurist110; 08-25-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
1. There's certainly a subjective component to it,

2. but my insight leads me to fail to understand strong opposition to my opinion.
1. Agreed.

2. I agree with you that there are much more important things for individuals to worry about. I think that this strong opposition to circumcision might come from either a bodily rights perspective or from the belief that some (not all) individuals who got circumcised are missing out on something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies