Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No one seems to have the capability to think ahead anymore, it's this quick fix attitude that really confuses me, that people are unable to think beyond...do you actually believe that just b/c they are now outlawed, they won't be attainable? And they won't be used to kill cops and business owners?
Quick fix politics is very alluring because people want to think that there is a very simple solution to all complex problems. Politicians of whatever flavor appeal for votes based on reinforcing this desire. Once it's clear that the proposed "simple" solution did not work, the politician can still work his con by telling his base that the reason it didn't work is it didn't go far enough because the evil other side forced a compromise.

People are profoundly gullible when the lie they are told is one they want to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 07:27 AM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
first off, just b/c assult rifles are illegal now, doesn't mean that criminals do not have them, they do..and always will....the price on them just has gone up along with the semi-automatic weapons....

No one seems to have the capability to think ahead anymore, it's this quick fix attitude that really confuses me, that people are unable to think beyond...do you actually believe that just b/c they are now outlawed, they won't be attainable? And they won't be used to kill cops and business owners?
No I don't. You're misunderstanding my point, which is that confiscation, masked as control, will only impact those who are law abiding in any case.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:02 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No I don't. You're misunderstanding my point, which is that confiscation, masked as control, will only impact those who are law abiding in any case.
Yep

Plus, how can you "ban" something you can make in your own garage? Pipe dreamers they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP22u-ZsZck

Old 08-22-2014, 08:06 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Quick fix politics is very alluring because people want to think that there is a very simple solution to all complex problems. Politicians of whatever flavor appeal for votes based on reinforcing this desire. Once it's clear that the proposed "simple" solution did not work, the politician can still work his con by telling his base that the reason it didn't work is it didn't go far enough because the evil other side forced a compromise.

People are profoundly gullible when the lie they are told is one they want to be true.
People have also become mentally lazy, they don't have the capacity to work out issues anymore...or to even look a head for any trickle back affect of their decissions, we have lost a very important quality, awareness, too understand whenever you make new laws, you open a can of worms....
and how your thoughts, actions, and words effect the lives of so many others.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:13 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
The Brits also have a much higher respect for the laws, and are a whole lot more aware then American's are. They respect the property of others, they raise their kids much stricter, then we do, and that is why there is less murder rate, it isn't b/c they have gun control. It is a whole different culture. Over here, we all believe it is ok to break even minor laws, like speeding etc....we have this entitlement culture, this unaware being of others, and we don't raise our kids like they do....

You cannot compare the two.
Actually the British do none of those things. Their per capita rate burglary is about 40% higher than ours. The Brits are every bit as inclined to break laws. Only the murder rate stands out as dramatically lower.

Swing and a miss.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
yes, indeed, sorry I didn't understand your post....

Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Actually the British do none of those things. Their per capita rate burglary is about 40% higher than ours. The Brits are every bit as inclined to break laws. Only the murder rate stands out as dramatically lower.

Swing and a miss.
well, maybe your right, maybe not, but I work with a few of them, who come over for a while, then go back home so....? I dunno?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:47 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
well, maybe your right, maybe not, but I work with a few of them, who come over for a while, then go back home so....? I dunno?
I have about 20-30 friends who are Brits, including some distant cousins that I stay in touch with. What does any of that have to do with your statement about crime rates?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,489 times
Quote:
The other night on the way home from work, on a New Jersey Station, they were discussing gun control and how damaging it would be to Americans.

this guy calls in and literally suggests that taking away everyone's guns would end the murders of innocent people....one can only shake their head....

Didn't anyone learn anything from Prohibition? Same identical thing would happen if they'd outlaw guns....

You don't have to worry about those law abiding citizens who own guns, it is the criminals you'd have to worry about, and BTW, if you outlaw guns what are you doing? Your making a lucrative business for the criminals, b/c there will always be big bucks in something illegal....and always someone if paid enough, willing to break the laws to build guns for criminals....

It is so distrubing that some people refuse to see that and recognize what happened and is happening. Why do you think, they don't make drugs legal? Because there is so much money being made off of illegal drugs, and everyone has their hands in it, and if they don't, then those that do, are so rich and powerful, they would kill anyone who would cut into their life style of selling illegal drugs, i.e. Drug Cartels.

Why is it so difficult for people to see this....and still actually believe in the dellusional idea, that outlawing guns would end murders? My gosh, people could make all kinds of weapons that murder others...
Seriously? While I doubt the discussion even happened, nobody is coming to take your guns. I've seen the late night NRA fundraising informercials that swear that the FBI is lining up outside of your door. EVERYONE is in favor of gun control in some way. Unless you want terrorists, 3 year olds, inmates, etc, to be able to buy artillery then you're for gun control.

What most people are pushing now is for a way to ensure that criminals can't legally buy guns. That's it. Carry on with your mindless whining though.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:33 AM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Seriously? While I doubt the discussion even happened, nobody is coming to take your guns. I've seen the late night NRA fundraising informercials that swear that the FBI is lining up outside of your door. EVERYONE is in favor of gun control in some way. Unless you want terrorists, 3 year olds, inmates, etc, to be able to buy artillery then you're for gun control.

What most people are pushing now is for a way to ensure that criminals can't legally buy guns. That's it. Carry on with your mindless whining though.
That's already there. Why haven't you stopped wanting more?

Is gun control battle looming in Annapolis? -- Gazette.Net

Read down to Del. CT Wilson's comment about traditional hunting arms and why they should be banned. Then tell me again "No one's coming". I won't even mention Frosh's comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies