Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 09:57 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,480,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If the races are to be considered as equals why should one slave owner be considered more despicable than another?
By those remarks I must assume that it seems perfectly fine with you that Blacks owned slaves but it is offensive to you that whites owned slaves. I accept your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 10:01 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Yes, "negro slavery" perpetuated in large part by Black slave owners.
So?

Old 08-25-2014, 10:01 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
By those remarks I must assume that it seems perfectly fine with you that Blacks owned slaves but it is offensive to you that whites owned slaves. I accept your opinion.
Well, you know what happens when you ASSume.

I said NO such thing, your ASSumptions not withstanding.

What makes you think the concept of one human being owning another has relative degrees of 'wrong' dependent on the races of the owners and the owned?

Last edited by burdell; 08-25-2014 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Dude, that's not remotely logical.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
I used to be an avid aircraft modeler and remember there being some controversy with people claiming model kits of German WW II aircraft shouldn't come with decals of swastikas.

Do you really believe hiding bits of history make it like they never existed?
Burdell, I think I'm in love.

I'm an avid historian and author, and it seems like too many of our contemporary academicians want to bury American history and just forget much of it ever happened. Between that and the revisionist history, our true past is just fading from view.

Did you know that in Germany, school children STUDY the holocaust? I had a friend who visited me from Germany and she said the reason was simple: If every generation knew all the details of the holocaust, chances were good those mistakes would not be repeated.

Why can't America be that smart?

Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Well, you know what happens when you ASSume.

I said NO such thing, your ASSumptions not withstanding.
So where's your outrage and racist remarks against these Black slave owners? None? If you claim equality in disgust, then show forth the same disdain for the Black slave owners as you do for the white slave owners. Be "equal". The real truth is that you all are so mad that I posted these links that you wish did not exist.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Dude, that's not remotely logical.
About as logical as anyone today hating a flag of yesteryear.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
So where's your outrage and racist remarks against these Black slave owners? None? If you claim equality in disgust, then show forth the same disdain for the Black slave owners as you do for the white slave owners. Be "equal". The real truth is that you all are so mad that I posted these links that you wish did not exist.
WHERE have I shown outrage/disgust for white slave owners in these forums while ignoring black slave owners? Please show me where I've done what you accuse me of? The real truth is you're wrong.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Burdell, I think I'm in love.

I'm an avid historian and author, and it seems like too many of our contemporary academicians want to bury American history and just forget much of it ever happened. Between that and the revisionist history, our true past is just fading from view.

Did you know that in Germany, school children STUDY the holocaust? I had a friend who visited me from Germany and she said the reason was simple: If every generation knew all the details of the holocaust, chances were good those mistakes would not be repeated.
I couldn't agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Why can't America be that smart?
Having grown up in America I'd be interested in seeing how various historical events are taught in countries throughout the world.

How is the American revolution taught in England?

How is WWII taught in Japan?

Etc., etc., etc............................................... .................................................

Old 08-25-2014, 10:34 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconcerned View Post

Which is all just more revisionist nonsense that completely ignores the point I made - when the first 7 states to secede from the Union formed the Confederacy, 5 of those 7 specifically stated that slavery was either one of the main reasons or the main reason, and the Vice President of the Confederacy - in a speech intended to explain the reasons for the Confederacy leaving the Union - explicitly named slavery as the core principle of the Confederacy. You posting a link to an opinion piece on some wacko's blogsite 150 years later doesn't change the fact that that was what the Confederates specifically said at the time they rebelled against the Union. What part of that is bouncing off of you people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies