Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 01:58 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

Washington Post Bans 'Redskins' From Editorials

The Washington Post says it will stop calling Washington's football team the "Redskins" on its editorial page.
The paper's editorial board announced Friday that it will refrain from using the term that it says "unquestionably offends not only many Native Americans but many other Americans, too."

Several major newspapers have stopped using the name altogether. CBS lead analyst Phil Simms said this week he will avoid the name when he announces a Washington game this season.

We natives are patient if nothing else. Slowly, the pendulum will swing in our direction.
Let the foaming and spittle from the right and the racists begin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-tbOxlhvE

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5701938.html

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-23-2014 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 02:03 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I can't understand the pushback to changing the name from the ownership. They obviously have lost the PR war. I like Washington Lobbyists myself. They are the most powerful group in the US today, so it is a good image for a team.

(I am also partial to Washington Gridlock as a name)

Old 08-23-2014, 02:05 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Would it not make more sense to change the team name to the Washington A**holes, since that's basically what we have in D.C. these days?

Old 08-23-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Would it not make more sense to change the team name to the Washington A**holes, since that's basically what we have in D.C. these days?
That's not a bad idea, but I'm partial to Cruz's Bruisers. It would mollify the right for suffering such an indignity as deleting one more hateful, racist handle.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:31 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post

The Washington Post says it will stop calling Washington's football team the "Redskins" on its editorial page.
The paper's editorial board announced Friday that it will refrain from using the term that it says "unquestionably offends not only many Native Americans but many other Americans, too."

Several major newspapers have stopped using the name altogether. CBS lead analyst Phil Simms said this week he will avoid the name when he announces a Washington game this season.

We natives are patient if nothing else. Slowly, the pendulum will swing in our direction.

Number one, nobody in my family - which includes many who still live either on or near the reservation - likes the term Native American. It's an idiotic term which actually describes anyone who was born on the continent. We all prefer Indian, American Indian, or simply American. As for the name Redskins, I haven't met one Indian who finds it offensive. While the term Redskin can be offensive when used in a derogatory manner, naming a football team the Redskins doesn't equate with calling an Indian a Redskin. The only people who find it insulting are the ones looking for a reason to be insulted.

Number two, anyone who gets their knickers in a twist over the name of a sports team needs to step back and take a serious look at their life. What's next, changing the name of the St. Louis team because it's denigrating to male sheep? How about San Francisco? After all, 49ers is insulting to miners, right? Let's not even get into Green Bay....

Yet more proof that political correctness has gone too far.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:39 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Number one, nobody in my family - which includes many who still live either on or near the reservation - likes the term Native American. It's an idiotic term which actually describes anyone who was born on the continent. We all prefer Indian, American Indian, or simply American. As for the name Redskins, I haven't met one Indian who finds it offensive. While the term Redskin can be offensive when used in a derogatory manner, naming a football team the Redskins doesn't equate with calling an Indian a Redskin. The only people who find it insulting are the ones looking for a reason to be insulted.

Number two, anyone who gets their knickers in a twist over the name of a sports team needs to step back and take a serious look at their life. What's next, changing the name of the St. Louis team because it's denigrating to male sheep? How about San Francisco? After all, 49ers is insulting to miners, right? Let's not even get into Green Bay....

Agreed and I've seen quite a few American Indians wear "Redskin" shirts and hats. Hell; I saw an Indian looking dude wearing a "Cleveland Indians" logo on a necklace and it was a BIG metal piece.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:40 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post

In my opinion it's really past due for this issue to be addressed. Conservatives don't have the right to decide what racial slurs are offensive to others or not...

Old 08-23-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

Number two, anyone who gets their knickers in a twist over the name of a sports team needs to step back and take a serious look at their life. What's next, changing the team of the St. Louis team because it's denigrating to male sheep? How about San Francisco? After all, 49ers is insulting to miners, right? Let's not even get into Green Bay....

Sounds like you'd be an excellent candidate for sending a letter to the editor of the Washington Post. I'm sure you'd be a snap to get published. You write well and get right to the point.

Definitively different tribes were talking about. I know that personally, the 6 tribes of the Iroquois Confederacy generally find the term offensive. I also know first hand that the National Congress of American Indians which basically represents the vast majority of all tribes in America find the term offensive. They actually made the video.
I'm not that fond of Native American either but use it when it's appropriate for communicating. I prefer NDN, Indian or Mohawk, Navajo, etc.

Your Quote:
"While the term Redskin can be offensive when used in a derogatory manner, naming a football team the Redskins doesn't equate with calling an Indian a Redskin."
See how this reads.....
While the term Ni**er can be offensive when used in a derogatory manner, naming a football team the Ni**ers doesn't equate with calling a person a Ni**er.

Certainly not from a white person's point of view. Not being part of the culture they're offending, they can't see or understand the offensive connection between the two. For some strange reason, when we tell them it's offensive, they insist it's not.

I guess our words, writings and videos on the subject carry no weight and mean nothing.

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-23-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed and I've seen quite a few American Indians wear "Redskin" shirts and hats. Hell; I saw an Indian looking dude wearing a "Cleveland Indians" logo on a necklace and it was a BIG metal piece.
Nothing wrong with calling an Indian an Indian or naming a team the Indians. If you dare watch the video, Indian is one of our preferred handles.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:51 PM

46,287 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
In my opinion it's really past due for this issue to be addressed. Conservatives don't have the right to decide what racial slurs are offensive to others or not...
Yet dems do?

Yea. O.K....

So, let me ask you this, since this is ONLY banned from the EDITORIAL page, why not the rest of the paper?

Think about that before you respond...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies