Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 01:08 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,848,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Ignorance though can be overcome.

Exactly. The ignorance is overcome by teaching the kids to eat a proper diet.
Not when it comes their kids, after all the acorn does not fall far from the tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 01:11 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,863,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm definitely having second thoughts, Ringo. This thread is an outstanding example of what concerns me in politics today. It's so much easier to insult the First Lady than to actually DO something. I'll be honest here; I'm not the least bit opposed to the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act. Whether it stays or goes is just not that important to me. That said, I'm appalled at the willful ignorance that abounds in the electorate, ignorance that is on full and glorious display here in this thread and at City-Data every single day.

Smart, powerful people work in DC, and because the masses are distracting themselves with this kind of inanity, those smart, powerful people are free to do very bad things. But never you mind, folks. Nothing to see here. You go on fussing and fuming about the President's golf schedule, what the Obama kids have for lunch at their private school, and where the First Family vacations this year, because that matters. Sigh. How about using those mad Google skills to identify your local legislators and what they'll be voting on this week? Nah, that would be too hard.
Meanwhile, lawmakers in the U.S. House of Representatives are considering legislation to provide exemptions from the lunch regulations for schools that are losing substantial revenue, though Michelle Obama has vowed to fight for her pet project “until the bitter end.”

New York schools drop Michelle O’s lunch program - EAGnews.org powered by Education Action Group Foundation, Inc.

Seems her input isn't as benign as it is made it out to be.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,257,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Meanwhile, lawmakers in the U.S. House of Representatives are considering legislation to provide exemptions from the lunch regulations for schools that are losing substantial revenue, though Michelle Obama has vowed to fight for her pet project “until the bitter end.”

New York schools drop Michelle O’s lunch program - EAGnews.org powered by Education Action Group Foundation, Inc.

Seems her input isn't as benign as it is made it out to be.
What exactly do you think she can do other than increase her speaking schedule and try to influence schools to re-think opting out? It is her platform, yes, but she is not a legislator. She does not have a vote. In any case, how is yet another round of Michelle-bashing going to affect change?

Old 09-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
What exactly do you think she can do other than increase her speaking schedule and try to influence schools to re-think opting out?
You think she might have the presidents ear? Just maybe?

Quote:
It is her platform, yes, but she is not a legislator. She does not have a vote. In any case, how is yet another round of Michelle-bashing going to affect change?
Anyone that argues for this kind of control over programs like this should properly be bashed. I've already noted that I agree that she is hardly the only one deserving though.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,257,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You think she might have the presidents ear? Just maybe?
What exactly do you think he's going to do? The legislation was passed by Congress, signed into law in 2010, and the program turned over to the USDA. It's done. If you want the law rescinded, call your legislators. Be aware, though, that by the time any of this has even the slightest potential for getting back to the floor the Obama's will be long gone. So you're wasting your energy.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
What exactly do you think he's going to do?
Tell Reid to not bring any improvements to the program to the floor. Threaten to veto any that might get through?

Quote:
The legislation was passed by Congress, signed into law in 2010, and the program turned over to the USDA. It's done. If you want the law rescinded, call your legislators. Be aware, though, that by the time any of this has even the slightest potential for getting back to the floor the Obama's will be long gone. So you're wasting your energy.
I am allowed to eat what I want so I still have the energy to burn.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:38 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,116,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why can't these students pack their own lunches? They are not forced to buy their lunches from the school lunchroom.
Some people want the village to raise and feed their children.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:48 PM

37,730 posts, read 40,772,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Kids will eat what they are used to eating at home. I used to work at a Title 1 school where the majority of the kids were Mexican and Haitian. Burgers???? lol They HATED burgers. The school served, and cooked from scratch, meals that these kids were used to eating: from burritos (breakfast and otherwise), tacos, black beans and rice, to jerk chicken.

Once a month they had Cuban Sandwich day. Signs said, "Teachers place YOUR orders early". Yes, staff ordered that one which was cooked (no mystery cold cuts) by the "lunch ladies", and served on real pressed Cuban bread. I always ordered that myself!

Kids don't like fruit? Try "Pineapple Week". I don't mean CANNED either. Each day the cafeteria staff made a different meal with fresh pineapple. Of course, the kids could also get pineapple chucks (fresh) in a cup. These specials always sold out. Yes, the teachers ordered these too.

Restaurant at school? Well, the majority of these kids were poor and serving them a good healthy lunch, which they would actually EAT, might be the best meal of the day they had. A hungry child is not going to be able to concentrate and learn.
Pineapple, eh? Wasn't the USDA just pushing pineapple instead of chocolate for smores. This may be the Hawaiian lobby agenda.

I'm giving a shout out to drug dealers. Switch to candy, soda and cupcakes by schools. What are they going to do, put you in jail for Milky Ways and Kit Kats? Employ your mothers to bake cup cakes.

Dealer: Hey, little girl, want some candy?

Little girl: Help, help, this man wants to take me!

Dealer: No I don't, I just want to sell you some candy.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
When I was in public school (graduation 1987), at no point did we have vending machines. Personally, I say take all vending machines out of school. However, the local school districts need to retain full control over their own lunch selections and the feds need to stay out. Local cultural taste are different. The obesity problem is not limited to school lunches. Combine cable/satellite TV, video games, internet, home food choices, and lack of physical activity are the combined cause. When I was in high school, some of our food was greasy and fatty and we had very few fat kids and those who were fat were still no where near as big as the kids today. Allow the kids choices. A hungry student isn't going to focus on class. Allow kids to bring food from home without Moochelle' s approval. I use to bring nuts, raisins, Snickers, peanut M&M, and even jerky. If having second lunch period, I have a snack to hold me over. If I had first lunch period, I had a snack before the last period. Gum also helped. Luckily I had teachers who's no gum ruled only applied to the poppers (usually girls).
Well, yes, there are cultural differences in foods chosen around the country. There are cultural differences within individual schools, too. But yeah, we Coloradans eat more Mexican than they do in Pennsylvania, but so what? As long as the lunch fits the guidelines, ANY food can be served.

And heck, kids have been bringing snacks to school for eons. That's not what this thread is supposed to be about.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:08 PM

15,072 posts, read 6,103,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
So I read that article and saw that there was a #BringBackOurSnacks hashtag. So I just looked up that hashtag on twitter, and as I was typing it, twitter suggested #BringBackOurGirls: you know, the hundreds of girls kidnapped by religious extremist terrorists and might never be seen by their families again as they are married off to terrorists. American kids upset that there's no cookies for lunch? Well, it's a classic case of #FirstWorldProblems.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies