Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:49 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You know, I always packed my kids lunches even throughout high school. The food at school was just junk. Why would I want them to eat that plus pay extra for it
Eh - local variations. The a la carte options at my daughter's high school was great. She generally stuck to that or the salad bar. Back when she was in middle school, the food was atrocious. Always packed her lunch there but of course, she's the kid that doesn't just want a sandwich. Sushi was her usual go to packed lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 10:55 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
[quote=southbel;36396117]Eh - local variations. The a la carte options at my daughter's high school was great. She generally stuck to that or the salad bar. Back when she was in middle school, the food was atrocious. Always packed her lunch there but of course, she's the kid that doesn't just want a sandwich. Sushi was her usual go to packed lunch.[/QUOTE]

Sushi Memories of the movie Breakfast Club just came back lol

Old 09-06-2014, 10:57 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
School children in Elyria, Ohio are mourning the demise of a 40-year tradition – the loss of their beloved pink cookie. The fabled cookie, long served in local school cafeterias, was done in by a pound of butter, six cups of powdered sugar and the Obama administration’s food police.

“It no longer meets the national school lunch program guidelines for snacks,” said Amy Higgins, the spokesperson for Elyria City Schools. “It has too many calories.”

Feds ban school
What is the significance of this and how is it controversial?

Old 09-07-2014, 12:11 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
I understand this. My point is if you want to complain about lunches schools provide then the parents should pack it.
If you want to complain about the wages a job pays you should........

Old 09-07-2014, 12:14 AM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you want to complain about the wages a job pays you should........
I'm sorry where was I complaining about wages. That's not even what this thread is about. I think you took a wrong turn lol

Old 09-07-2014, 12:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
I'm sorry where was I complaining about wages. That's not even what this thread is about. I think you took a wrong turn lol
I think its obvious where you are complaining about wages.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:01 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I think its obvious where you are complaining about wages.
I think it's "obvious" only to you.
She didn't mention wages at all.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:24 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Eh - local variations. The a la carte options at my daughter's high school was great. She generally stuck to that or the salad bar. Back when she was in middle school, the food was atrocious. Always packed her lunch there but of course, she's the kid that doesn't just want a sandwich. Sushi was her usual go to packed lunch.

As were ours. We now have "alternate" menu items in place of the a la carte. They are recognized as part of "build a school lunch". Instead of preparing vegetable beef soup, bacon/potato soup, wedding soup, homemade chili, stuffed peppers, scalloped potatoes, etc., I am now spending my mornings panning breaded chicken patties, chicken nuggets, and pizza. Chicken sandwiches, nuggets, and pizza are government approved with the addition of salad and fruit. Pre-prepared processed crap. Yet the government says our homemade stuff didn't meet the criteria.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Quote:
Sounds good to me. Why do schools have to provide lunch anyway. Why isn't it the parents responsibility to provide a meal for their child at school.
Sad to say, there are many kids who obviously get nothing to eat at home. Last winter, we had many days when school was on two-hour delay because of snow and/or subzero cold. It didn't effect our cafeteria schedule, we cooks had to be in at 6:30 a.m. regardless. We still put out the breakfast, and there were several students who came early before school to eat. I don't know the details of their home situations, or why their parents aren't feeding them, but it doesn't make sense with the ever-growing availability of food stamps. These seem to be the same kids - who incidentally also receive free/reduced lunches. And yes, there IS STILL a stigma about kids who receive free/reduced lunches, even though the number seems to be growing every year.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:07 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
If we need to pay for health care for the people that get sick as a result they are not taking personality responsibility for their health decisions.

If you want to be a fat ass, it is your responsibility to pay for that decision. If you are not willing to do so then the tax payer gets a say.

I love how we drug test for welfare recipients because if we pay we get a say, but eating terrible food is a personal choice.
Or we could I don't know, remove taxpayers from the healthcare equation and let everyone bear their own costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies