Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:44 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times

Advertisements

Had sigmund Freud not been there in early 20th century to mainstream the notion young toddlers are subconsciously attracted to their mothers and envy their fathers, anyone who were to propose this idea now would be seen as absolutely despicable.

For example, this theory I have will get people absolutely screaming at me with shame:
I believe that there are really good high school teachers with good moral backbone who would never fess up to this...they wouldn't dare....in fact they wouldn't even if they were made comfortable to say anything without consequence.....
but they are not 100% un-attracted to the pupils they teach, nor are interviewers for college admissions, nor are college professors, nor are financial company recruits who bring summer interns into the office

My theory is a little more complex though. There's a lot that has to happen before someone brings subconscious forbidden sensations to act on it and break moral code. The person has to be in a real low in life: fired, break-up or bad marriage, financial bankruptcy, demotion, death of a loved one, drugged, hypnotized, fatigued. And even then, it just means they are more likely to slip their moral backbone...which may or may not come out or may not go public or may not be witnessed.

Also another theory I have is that people regardless of their own subconscious oddities, will not only flat out deny their own, but they will see zero tolerance towards anyone else's, to the point they stand their moral ground. They will as a personal defense mechanism, take strict moral and ethical actions in the name of justice to society....when the stem of this desire is their own self-denial of their own odd subconscious temptations.

And you will find things with a twist. For example, a person is extremely to the point of zero tolerance, opposed to drunk driving, that nobody should ever dare even think of it. That person gets stopped one day on a day things aren't going right....blood alcohol level .08 just barely the legal limit

So my theory goes people all have odd skeletons. The ones with the stronger true moral compass are not the ones as likely to be hypocritical. The ones with the weaker moral compass may reside as chairman of an ethics committee, which ironically will achieve the objectives that they themselves are not above. The ones least likely to fess up are the ones who have but one action after they can't run nor hide....it's pistol to the head.

Last edited by EricS39; 08-24-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 12:45 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Called human nature.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Had sigmund Freud not been there in early 20th century to mainstream the notion young toddlers are subconsciously attracted to their mothers and envy their fathers, anyone who were to propose this idea now would be seen as absolutely despicable.

For example, this theory I have will get people absolutely screaming at me with shame:
I believe that there are really good high school teachers with good moral backbone who would never fess up to this...they wouldn't dare....in fact they wouldn't even if they were made comfortable to say anything without consequence.....
but they are not 100% un-attracted to the pupils they teach, nor are interviewers for college admissions, nor are college professors, nor are financial company recruits who bring summer interns into the office

My theory is a little more complex though. There's a lot that has to happen before someone brings subconscious forbidden sensations to act on it and break moral code. The person has to be in a real low in life: fired, break-up or bad marriage, financial bankruptcy, demotion, death of a loved one, drugged, hypnotized, fatigued. And even then, it just means they are more likely to slip their moral backbone...which may or may not come out or may not go public or may not be witnessed.

Also another theory I have is that people regardless of their own subconscious oddities, will not only flat out deny their own, but they will see zero tolerance towards anyone else's, to the point they stand their moral ground. They will as a personal defense mechanism, take strict moral and ethical actions in the name of justice to society....when the stem of this desire is their own self-denial of their own odd subconscious temptations.

And you will find things with a twist. For example, a person is extremely to the point of zero tolerance, opposed to drunk driving, that nobody should ever dare even think of it. That person gets stopped one day on a day things aren't going right....blood alcohol level .08 just barely the legal limit
This theory that YOU have? It's been done to death.
To wit....
The Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Old 08-24-2014, 12:57 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times
I meant to put this in psychology

Old 08-24-2014, 01:08 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
I meant to put this in psychology
Uh huh

Old 08-24-2014, 02:34 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
So OP since it's "your" theory how did those conversations about moral relativism with Socrates and Plato turn out for you?

Also what your anti-aging secret?

Inquiring minds and all.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:24 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times
So everyone is attracted to children subconsciously, and the ones that say they aren't and say it's immoral are just part of hypocritical ethics committees because they have a weak moral compass?

Is this serious? If it is then people that endorse this need some real help.

I have seen some truly awful things on C-D, usually resulting in a quick ban for the person espousing it, but I never thought I would see someone try to justify wanting sex with children as a strong moral compass.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:30 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
So everyone is attracted to children subconsciously, and the ones that say they aren't and say it's immoral are just part of hypocritical ethics committees because they have a weak moral compass?

Is this serious? If it is then people that endorse this need some real help.

I have seen some truly awful things on C-D, usually resulting in a quick ban for the person espousing it, but I never thought I would see someone try to justify wanting sex with children as a strong moral compass.

Sometimes it is just best to move on.

Human nature dictates that humans are going to be attracted to each other whether it be on a romantic level or a cordial level, a friendly level or a "what an adorable, beautiful, well behaved, quiet...baby/toddler/younger child level".
None of this is immoral nor is it shocking or unethical, the problems come in when one takes the initial attraction and turns into an obsession, assault or injury to the one they are attracted to.

Now I'm done, it is time for a taco and a nap.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:34 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
I love a gap between a women's front teeth ala Lauren Hutton. It doesn't bother me to admit it.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:46 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
IN response to your title, not your post...

It's not alarming that people are attracted to driving a Prius. It's alarming that they let their ignorance guide them and they then buy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies