Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 02:01 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
The perception in many black communities is that the police are a white, military, occupational force.

A big part of community policing is that the police get to KNOW the neighborhood they patrol.
And black police who grew up in that community walking the streets they walked as kids has a great appearence to that neighborhood. Perception at its best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 02:09 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
The only way to change this problem mentioned by the op in this thread is to

1. Push your community ( black) to recruit as many blacks to become officers as possible. Your police should reflect your population.

2. Reinforce the nucleur family. It is proven a 2 parent household reduces out of control children.

3. Teens need after school events.. Sports, clubs, interests, part time jobs, volenteer.

4. Community policing: officers get to know the community and they get to know the officiers. If a white officier sees a group of black kids but knows some one them by first name he would be less likely to think they are doing wrong when they are walking down the street after dark.

5. Community outreach. Make it cool to talk to cops. Goes with #4

6. Pride in community and home ownership. More home owners less crime. They are invested in thier community more than rentals.

7. Local ownership of business: jobs given to locals. Feeds point #3. Sponserships and jobs.

Some good suggestions. But "make it cool to talk to cops." I'm a white woman, and that's just never going to happen. You know why? Because cops are not cool, they never will be, and talking to them will get you arrested. You don't want the police even looking at you. Easiest way to not get arrested: stay off the streets, off the cops' radar. Unfortunately poor people in some areas tend to have more of a street life than some other areas.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:14 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
The police are paid public servants. It's their job to get along with the communities they supposedly serve and protect, not for the community to adapt to them. Probably a majority of black men in America have been needlessly stopped and questioned by the police for no other reason than they are black. Some have been hassled, and even beaten and killed. Why would any black man want to deal with the police?

Old 08-26-2014, 02:18 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The police are paid public servants. It's their job to get along with the communities they supposedly serve and protect, not for the community to adapt to them. Probably a majority of black men in America have been needlessly stopped and questioned by the police for no other reason than they are black. Some have been hassled, and even beaten and killed. Why would any black man want to deal with the police?
Choose what they will, but if they attack the police they will be met with force. If they don't want to become police officers, they will be outnumbered and under represented. END OF STORY!

Old 08-26-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
First I am white. My Daddy told me at an early age to do what the police ask you to do and say yes sir or no sir.
Lipping off to the police can only cause you grief.
Your point is the problem. It is not that way everywhere and it shouldnt be that way.

I have talked to many police in different cities i have lived in from flint michigan to affluent carmel indiana and in between. I have talked to them while they worked, off work when i was picking up cable equipment from them at their residence, to talking to them at a resturant when they were in uniform. I have never had a bad encounter. Maybe if you as a while women would talk to a cute cop you might find him to be nice and get a date out of it. (If you are looking that is) lady cop..

Last edited by mike0618; 08-26-2014 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 02:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
And black police who grew up in that community walking the streets they walked as kids has a great appearence to that neighborhood. Perception at its best.
What you are implying is that if we had black cops there would be no problem
If that is true please explain south side chicago

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-26-2014 at 03:38 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
What you are implying is that if we had plack cops there would be no problem
If that is true please explain south side chicago
I imply no such thing. I just say it would help solve the problem. Chicago has a gang war going on. Plus the lawful citizens are unarmed and unable to protect themselves. Community policing will not work there until they get the gang problem worked out by locking the gangs up.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:56 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Take this advice from Chris Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Old 08-26-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Some good suggestions. But "make it cool to talk to cops." I'm a white woman, and that's just never going to happen. You know why? Because cops are not cool, they never will be, and talking to them will get you arrested. You don't want the police even looking at you. Easiest way to not get arrested: stay off the streets, off the cops' radar. Unfortunately poor people in some areas tend to have more of a street life than some other areas.
My post about talking to cops was ment for you. Really what is the situation to talk to a cop? Of course you dont if they are busy doing their job. But on the street in passing, in a store, etc... Why not. They dont want to be feared. It is a shame you think talking to a cop will get you arrested. And before anyone says well you mike must have always lived in upscale nice neighboorhoods.. Well you would be wrong. I grew up in metro detroit. Worked in and around flint michigan in my morris twp which is one of the most dangerous places to live or work. I have worked with off duty cops at movie theatres. Talked to cops on the street. I have also been robbed at gun point, been asked if i was bullet proof (a black off duty detroit cop came to my rescue on that one).

Old 08-26-2014, 03:21 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
This thread reminds me of a time when a friend of mine that happened to be the head of the state highway patrol met me while I was having lunch, so he joined me in full uniform.
Later, the local sheriff, also in full uniform, who I also know stopped by and joined the conversation.

I'm not an officer of any kind, no uniform, but the looks from the people walking past the table were priceless, "What the heck did YOU do????"

Cops are people. Some good, some bad. They have a really poor job as everyone always thinks they only speak to you if they are trying to pin something on you. Talk about a guilty consciense

Cops have a very lonely life in many cases as it can be difficult for them to just have a conversation with people.
Yeah, there are bad cops, no question, but there are a lot of good cops too.

Try talking to one sometime instead of just when you got pulled over for speeding through a school zone. Most of them that I know are pretty decent folks.

If one oversteps, then just like anyone else they should be punished. But if they were in the right, there is no reason to crucify them in the media.

If folks of any color want better relations with law enforcement, the first thing to do is to talk to them. Really, they won't bite your head off. A simple Good Morning Officer at the coffee shop can start a good relationship and perhaps even a friendship.

But I know I'm wasting my typing here, there are preceptions of cops as souless automotons only looking for trouble. I can't change that perception, but individuals reaching beyond their prejudices could...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies