Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:50 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
all the stats say that blacks will be treated much differently when stopped than whites, which is why its pointless for whites to be commenting on this issue.
That isn't really the point here. The point is should we as black people change the way we encourage our young people to interact with police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 08:59 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Can someone be black and not part of this aforementioned "Black Culture"?
YES!!! I recommend you do research on what culture means. It has nothing to do with skin color.

Quote:
What IS "Black Culture" that AeroguyDC is pointing the finger at?
Have you ever watch a movie with an all black cast? Do you notice that most of them involved having a scene with people going to church? That is an example of culture.

Do you know why Tyler Perry's movies are popular with black people and not really other races? It's because a lot of his movies involve things that black people generally identify with. That is the essence of what culture is.

Quote:
How would one define the "black culture" that AeroguyDC speaks to?
It's subjective, but there is a general norm what people identify with black culture.

I will give you an example, some people would consider celebrating a black president as a norm in black culture, but that doesn't mean that every black person celebrated. It is assumed that if you are black you support him. That is because culture dictated a norm. Please do more research on this, I think it will help your case by researching than to trying to find holes in people's arguments.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:00 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
this^^ lots of white folks just "don't get" that there is heavy discrimination of young black men in general.
no there not, that just what the black population wants you to believe. we the victim, they don't like us. give us money

the black population needs to look into their own house to solve their problem

Old 08-24-2014, 09:11 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
We are sitting here and talking about some of the recent police killings that have happened in the St.Louis-Ferguson area in the past couple of weeks, but I feel like we aren't digging deep into some of the bigger issues that comes as a result of these situations. One of those things is how black culture perceive police officers. If you go to just about any part of the nation that has a predominantly black population there is quite a bit of tension between the police and the community at large. But look at what many are taught. You have a lot of young people who are taught at an early age that they are targets.
We are taught this at an early age because it is true. I don't think you're understanding the problem. The tension between black men and the police is not brought on by black men. It's brought on by the hundreds of years of police oppression and dehumanization of black men.

Quote:
Then you have music that promotes blatant disrespect of the police officers and their right to enforce the law and then you many black people in poorer communities that have more exposure to lawlessness and they are often times desensitize to the ideas of what is right or wrong.
You are making an assumption that black people in all communities have a problem distinguishing between right and wrong, and that they were raised with some strange, nebulous hatred of whites and/or authority. I grew up in circumstances very far from the hood, as did both of my parents. But stories of cousins and relatives of acquaintances beaten and abused by the police continued to filter through me from both parents. I also read newspapers and magazines and watched the news from the time I was a small child, and I learned early on from all of these sources that if a police officer wanted to hurt, maim or kill me, no matter what I did, he could do it, and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it but pray and hope for the best. And then, as I grew up and began being harassed and stopped by cops, I started to understand why most of us hated and feared police. I came to realize that some cops, not all of them, were power-tripping, abusive gangster thugs, and that there were way too many of them out there. How does this engender respect?

Quote:
What is lost in all this is a conversation that we are not having right now and that's how we as a society, particularly the black community, should properly deal with police. If anything as a young black person we have been taught all the wrong things. But maybe we should be having a conversation about the proper ways to respond to police encounters.
That is absolutely wrong as well. Black men have been taught how to deal with police from the time they are small children. You are assuming that the incredible stories police to justify their homicidal actions are actually true; black folks know that some of the most imaginative fiction writers and storytellers around wear blue uniforms, guns and badges.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that the police are always right, but regardless, what do you really gain by trying to fight the police? It seems like this conversation isn't happening enough. Agree or disagree?
I think you know by now that my disagreement is vehement.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Black culture is the root of all problems in the black community. Everyone knows it, only a few are brave enough to admit it.
Until you come up with some actual evidence to back up your assertion, you are going to come off as little better or different than your average sheet-wearing lunatic.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Oh bullcrap. Young people of all races get "hassled" by the police. As a white teen I was regularly. Yet I never got very mouthy and the contacts were pretty professional. Teens and early 20s are harassed because they are most likely the people causing trouble. Black teens have real issues being treated like everyone else.
If black teens were treated like everyone else, we wouldn't be having these problems.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I think when you start off with the premise that black people need to act or behave differently than people of other nationalities when encountered by police, you are already starting off on the wrong foot. You are setting yourself up to think of yourself as a target, as a victim.

It's really simple guys. Obey the laws, have respect for others, keep your nose clean, and you'll have no problems. If you don't do those things, your going to get in trouble, no matter what color your skin is.
So....what do you tell people who do all of the above and still get harassed? I'm still waiting for one person - one person - to address this.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:17 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
YES!!! I recommend you do research on what culture means. It has nothing to do with skin color.

Have you ever watch a movie with an all black cast? Do you notice that most of them involved having a scene with people going to church? That is an example of culture.

Do you know why Tyler Perry's movies are popular with black people and not really other races? It's because a lot of his movies involve things that black people generally identify with. That is the essence of what culture is.

It's subjective, but there is a general norm what people identify with black culture.

I will give you an example, some people would consider celebrating a black president as a norm in black culture, but that doesn't mean that every black person celebrated. It is assumed that if you are black you support him. That is because culture dictated a norm. Please do more research on this, I think it will help your case by researching than to trying to find holes in people's arguments.
Keep Barking.

Lot's of words but, answered none of the questions I asked.

When you attack a culture, you attack a people. That's all I'm saying.
I consider the comment that it's the fault of the entire culture of any race to be a hot button issue. That has been the bottom line for my race. I don't want to see it applied to the black race.
The definition of culture is:
manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

So when you say "Black Culture is the problem", you are targeting the collective black community.

You guy's can have the floor again. I said my peace.

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-24-2014 at 09:25 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 09:18 PM

794 posts, read 818,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The tension between black men and the police is not brought on by black men. It's brought on by the hundreds of years of police oppression and dehumanization of black men.
Where does this total lack of responsibility and accountability mentality come from? It's such a cop out and excuse to absolve "black men" of any accountability whatsoever for their actions solely for being black.

Does not a black adult (18 is the legal age for adulthood mind you) have any responsibility for their actions? Is every crime committed by black men justifiable and excused simply for being black?

Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Where does this total lack of responsibility and accountability mentality come from? It's such a cop out and excuse to absolve "black men" of any accountability whatsoever for their actions solely for being black.
What actions are you speaking of? I didn't say a word about crime. I used myself as an example - I have never done anything illegal. I have been harassed by police - as have many others like me. What reason other than that would I have to hate cops?

Quote:
Does not a black adult (18 is the legal age for adulthood mind you) have any responsibility for their actions? Is every crime committed by black men justifiable and excused simply for being black?
Crime? Who said anything about crime? You brought that up. Are you making racist assumptions here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies