Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:38 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,174,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Money starts to flow in for gun initiatives | www.kirotv.com

Billionaire Microsoft co-founder and Seattle Seahawks owner Paul Allen just forked over $500,000 for Initiative 594, a gun control law that will be voted on this fall in Washington state. In WA, any citizen can draft legislation, and if enough signatures are collected by supporters, the law goes before the voters to be approved or rejected. This is the route by which the wacky tobacky was recently legalized here.

Bill Gates has donated $50,000. Nick Hanauer, an early investor in Amazon, tops the list, having donated $490,000 and having pledged to give $530,000 more. Steve Ballmer also gave $600,000.

Jim Sinegal of Costco donated just $10,000--I guess he is tapped out after spending $20 million to get booze sales legalized here in 2011.

On the other side, the 4,500 member Washington Council of Police and Sheriffs, along with the Washington State Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors Association, have announced opposition to I-594. Initiative 676 was a gun control initiative in 1997. It was overwhelmingly opposed by police, and that turned out to be key. I-676 went down by a whopping 71-29 margin.
Anyone that has a problem with this initiative is a complete idiot. I'm I life long gun enthusiast, but I'm not retarded. This initiative will not negatively effect one single law abiding citizen.

I'm getting to the point that I'm starting to assume that most my fellow gun enthusiasts in this country are either nuts or really stupid. Thankfully the wackjobs on this board don't represent the the bulk of gun owners in my state. This will pass easily.

yay common sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,284,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Anyone that has a problem with this initiative is a complete idiot. I'm I life long gun enthusiast, but I'm not retarded. This initiative will not negatively effect one single law abiding citizen.

I'm getting to the point that I'm starting to assume that most my fellow gun enthusiasts in this country are either nuts or really stupid. Thankfully the wackjobs on this board don't represent the the bulk of gun owners in my state. This will pass easily.

yay common sense!
I'm curious--have you read it?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:12 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,667,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Unless you can verify it through something more than something anyone can print off a computer, what is the point?

Ok, I've asked three times now, How does this give your neighbor access to your medical records?
I'm not seeing how requiring a background check involves the seller.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Ok, I've asked three times now, How does this give your neighbor access to your medical records?
It wouldn't necessarily, but part of the law does require your local police dept to check medical records before giving the ok for a gun sale. I'm sure that no Target customer would have guessed that buying a pair of jeans would result in their credit records being exposed.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:43 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,667,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It wouldn't necessarily, but part of the law does require your local police dept to check medical records before giving the ok for a gun sale. I'm sure that no Target customer would have guessed that buying a pair of jeans would result in their credit records being exposed.

Buying jeans and buying a gun are not quite the same.
I expect more paperwork and info for buying a house than buying jeans.
And neither jeans or a house are a deadly weapon.

But I need a license from the state before I can drive.
And proof of insurance before I can register a vehicle.
And proof of vaccination before I can get a dog license.
It is not unreasonable to get a background check to own a gun.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Buying jeans and buying a gun are not quite the same.
I expect more paperwork and info for buying a house than buying jeans.
And neither jeans or a house are a deadly weapon.

But I need a license from the state before I can drive.
And proof of insurance before I can register a vehicle.
And proof of vaccination before I can get a dog license.
It is not unreasonable to get a background check to own a gun.
That was not your question though. Your question was regarding exposure of medical records, and it has been answered.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:31 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,845,851 times
I say again people, this is not "just" background checks, it's goes a lot farther than that. Please read the bill.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:35 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,845,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post

yay common sense!
Something tells me that you don't really know what this bill does or how far reaching it really is. You just heard "background checks" and went with it...

Are you aware that it outlaws transfers of firearms that have not been approved by a background check? As a "life-long gun enthusiast", no doubt you've shown one of your guns to a family member or friend at some point and let them hold it. Did you run a background check on them first? Well if I-594 passes, you'll have to, otherwise, you both become instant criminals.

Were you aware that this law does this? Please read the bill.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:10 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,263,966 times
Sad that they are so dedicated to gun control. Guns are a minor problem in the larger scheme of things. Sure, give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, but give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:24 AM

79,902 posts, read 43,907,746 times
Quote:
Lol. I've explained. You are among those who want to simply see something done whether or not it addresses any problem or not. I can only roll my eyes and chuckle at the idea of someone thinking that the solution would be for the mentally Ill self police themselves.

I noted why it wouldn't work, you agreed but yet you continue to question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies