Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 06:54 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Self-defense is not logical given that Michael Brown was unarmed and had run at least 25 to 35 feet from the cop. We already know from what the witnesses have said that the cop was pursuing Brown, which further indicates that Brown was attempting a rapid retreat away from the cop, not towards him.

It is not logical to think that any unarmed person would suddenly turn and run towards a man who is shooting at him from more than 20 feet away. It goes against all self-preservation instincts.
And yet it has happened before on plenty of other occasions. Even saw a case here in our city where that happened. I can only guess at why an unarmed person would do so - perhaps not believing the cop will actually shoot? But yes, it's happened enough for me to assign that as a logical scenario, albeit not smart of the attacker.

The other scenario, of the cop being panicked, has, I think, an equally logical explanation behind it. It would make even more sense if Brown attacked/fought with Wilson and then on walking/running away, Wilson told him to stop and he either didn't or made some move that caused Wilson to panic.

Without more evidence I cannot say one is the more likely scenario than the other. As to the eyewitnesses, besides the documented issues with eyewitness accounts as to their accuracy in general, I am naturally suspect of anyone that would run to the media to tell their side of the story.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:54 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
IMO, in order to increase confidence in pds, I'd like to see the following procedure:

If a cop kills someone, they are taken to a city building (not pd, perhaps city hall), and told to stay alone in a room until media can interview them on what occurred. No witnesses , pd brass, city brass, union reps, ..present..just the media and the cop taping and later broadcasting every single word.

I find the delay before the pd broke "facts" questionable, at best, conspiring at worst.
And the 5th Amendment? Roll it up and wipe your behind with it?

Old 08-25-2014, 06:55 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
IMO, in order to increase confidence in pds, I'd like to see the following procedure:

If a cop kills someone, they are taken to a city building (not pd, perhaps city hall), and told to stay alone in a room until media can interview them on what occurred. No witnesses , pd brass, city brass, union reps, ..present..just the media and the cop taping and later broadcasting every single word.

I find the delay before the pd broke "facts" questionable, at best, conspiring at worst.
Except you run into some constitutional issues there. He does have the right to remain silent and if you're giving the media this power, you are, in essence making them an arm of the justice system. Miranda would then be applicable.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:58 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
A panic-induced over-reaction would make it murder.
A panic-induced over-reaction beyond a reasonable reaction from a normal person would make it manslaughter. If a normal person in the same situation (not a trained police officer, but an average person off the street) would also fire that many shots, it's not even voluntary manslaughter.

Which gets into one weird aspect of this. If there was a struggle in the car initiated by Brown (and the burden would be on the state to prove it was initiated by Wilson), or if Wilson was punched, in Missouri, under our self-defense laws, an ordinary citizen doing this would be able to claim self-defense because Brown never completely disengaged from the scene according to all of the eyewitness accounts.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:00 PM

794 posts, read 818,919 times
Quote:

Thanks for the chuckle!

Old 08-25-2014, 07:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
But all of you are discounting the witness accounts.

So your [sic] ignoring the evidence of the eyewitnesses. And you offer shaky explanations as to "why you don't believe..."

But none of you were there. And not a single witness has cleared Wilson or felt the shooting was justified.

So let's be real here. All of you are waiting on that one piece of evidence. Because at this point of time, people are TELLING you things went down differently.
And YOU were also not there. Yet, you keep tossing around words like "murder" when you don't know all the facts--NONE of us do. Are you saying that everybody should jump to conclusions as you do?

Let the forensic evidence and investigation speak for themselves in due time.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:03 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
Sounds like Al Sharpton's plan for nyc. Instead of getting the community to be civilized, law-abiding citizens, he is pressing for less policing / enforcement of lesser crimes. Sounds like the foundation of a great neighborhood.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Unless charges are laid against the police officer there will be no trial, no oath taking, and no cross examination. Odds are the state won't prosecute.
I agree.

In that case......we will never know how the witnesses would have stood up under cross examination.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:05 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
A panic-induced over-reaction would make it murder.
Not murder.

No way.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Except you run into some constitutional issues there. He does have the right to remain silent and if you're giving the media this power, you are, in essence making them an arm of the justice system. Miranda would then be applicable.
He could be silent if he wants, and I'd request the media to report that.

Allowing pds as many days as needed to "come up with something" is far worse.

PS: I'd also like a media gentleman's agreement not to air any future pd reports on the incident. So the initial interview would be the sole chance to discuss the case in a manner the public would here, before any trial, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies