Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 03:45 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I disagree mostly because we are talking a very large group of people receiving money. I doubt all of them would waste it away. Besides individually (say if it was $5,000) it's not much of nothing. That would inspire the people to come together and pool their money. When you have a bunch of people coming together, chances are they would spend it in a way that everyone benefits. Plus out of this large group, there will already be people who are excellent managers of money.
Human nature seems to be conspiring against you on this. We haven't been coined the instant gratification society for nothing. And do you honestly believe all black Americans will come together in some type of kumbaya moment to pool their resources and start businesses? If black Americans were willing to do that, the crime problem, particularly that of black on black crime would never have been a problem to begin with.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:46 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,480,914 times
Quote:
I disagree mostly because we are talking a very large group of people receiving money. I doubt all of them would waste it away. Besides individually (say if it was $5,000) it's not much of nothing. That would inspire the people to come together and pool their money. When you have a bunch of people coming together, chances are they would spend it in a way that everyone benefits. Plus out of this large group, there will already be people who are excellent managers of money.
Wanna bet? There'd be rivers of beer, wine, and drugs flowing in the projects around here.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:49 PM

140 posts, read 126,776 times
Quote:
Former "Hercules" star, political conservative and outspoken Christian Kevin Sorbo unleashed a Facebook rant about the protestors in Ferguson, Missouri, labeling them "animals" and "losers."
Who even knew?

Old 08-25-2014, 03:50 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" the 1954 Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka ruling. IN MANY WAYS, the drive to end segregated education and to put African American and white children in the same classrooms was the most radical and potentially far-reaching aspect of the civil rights movement."

The Civil Rights Act was signed in 1964

Explain WHY , in your opinion, ""over half of the black population is in poverty?"

What has the graduation rate from high school been for blacks?

"The Schott Foundation for Public Education, which has tracked graduation rates of black males from public schools since 2004, said 52 percent of black males who entered ninth grade in the 2006-07 school year graduated in four years. That compared with 78 percent of whites"

"At this rate it would take nearly 50 years for black males to graduate at the same rate as white males," said John H. Jackson"

How many black girls drop out of high school?

If you DON'T at least finish high school, how do you expect to get out of poverty?

In 2009-10 the national graduation rate for Black male students was 52%. The graduation rate for White, non-Latino males was 78%. This is the first year that more than half of the nation’s Black males in 9th grade graduated with regular diplomas four years later. The national Black/White male g - See more at: Black Male Graduation Rates – The Urgency of Now
In 2009-10 the national graduation rate for Black male students was 52%. The graduation rate for White, non-Latino males was 78%. This is the first year that more than half of the nation’s Black males in 9th grade graduated with regular diplomas four years later. The national Black/White male g - See more at: Black Male Graduation Rates – The Urgency of Now
Dropout Rates for Black Males Are Misleading and Wrong - The Root

The often stated notion that more than half of black males drop out, or do not graduate, is not true. Cohort graduation-rate calculations miss students who graduate late, graduate early, obtain a GED or transfer to schools outside their district.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:51 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,480,914 times
Quote:
I couldn't find a specific chart concerning middle class inequality among different groups. However the median income across the groups is similar to it. Here's a chart...

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0690.pdf

Sorry for the triple post.
And somehow with all the bussing of the school children and everything else, it's still the fault somehow of the white people because Black school age children just simply refuse to go to school and at least get a high school education? It's also somehow the white folk's fault that 72% of Black households have no father figure present within the household. Darn those mean old uncaring white folks. Makes one wonder why the mean old white folks let the Asians, Middle Easterners, Hispanics, etc., go to school and get an education.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:00 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Last time I checked, most african americans voted for Obama. Plus what was up with his mention of "I always thought we just Americans"? What is that statement about? The whole thing is weird to even mention Obama. (Unless you're racist)
Blocking blacks access to education, segregating housing, unequal policing....these things are racist.

Calling RIOTERS animals? Not racist.

Whining about Obama from a right winger? Not racist. Partisan, but not racist.

Noting that blacks voted in huge numbers for Obama? Not racist. Whining yes, racist no.

That charge gets thrown around a lot. Heck, Hillary supporters were being called racists during the 2008 primaries. Then they vote for Obama in the general election and whoops not racist anymore.

We had people in the Ferguson thread calling posters racist for wanting to wait and get all the facts before agreeing that the cop should go to jail.

Sheesh, give it a rest.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:02 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I think you misunderstood my question. You said white wealthy families should pay reparations. I'm half white and half black. So would I pay or receive reparations?

You're idealistic and naive. You have this image that all black people will suddenly decide, because of a financial windfall, this would necessarily cause a massive increase in black businesses. Running a business is not for the faint at heart and frankly, if one genuinely wanted to start a business today and had the drive to do so, a financial windfall is not what helps them do so. There's a lot more to it than just having enough startup capital.
No reparations. There are no live slaves.

The idiots in Ferguson who wrecked their neighborhood are animals.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:05 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
I truly wish more people thought like you.

My buddy wins settlements for people all the time and he's said that for the vast majority of poor, uneducated folks....they burn through a windfall in about 2 years. (this is regardless of pigmentation).

Saw my own uncle do this with his moms estate.

Booze, drugs, tats and harleys....blew through it fast.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:08 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,443,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Human nature seems to be conspiring against you on this. We haven't been coined the instant gratification society for nothing. And do you honestly believe all black Americans will come together in some type of kumbaya moment to pool their resources and start businesses? If black Americans were willing to do that, the crime problem, particularly that of black on black crime would never have been a problem to begin with.

Once a movement takes place to teach black people everywhere their history, we can unite under that common history. I would say the internet is the ideal place to get that started, but then have it spread on the streets. It's not that big a thing when you think about it. Other movements started in similar fashion, but this actually has more potential and value.

Once the stage is set, reparations would go a long way in helping the community. This would be one way everyone can get involved in the process of making that history worth something, and we all would come together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
And somehow with all the bussing of the school children and everything else, it's still the fault somehow of the white people because Black school age children just simply refuse to go to school and at least get a high school education? It's also somehow the white folk's fault that 72% of Black households have no father figure present within the household. Darn those mean old uncaring white folks. Makes one wonder why the mean old white folks let the Asians, Middle Easterners, Hispanics, etc., go to school and get an education.
So you saying our history has nothing to do with our situations today? So how is it that all other groups who've come into this country have succeeded in school etc., yet black people haven't? What is it that black people have in common in this country? By the way, there's no question that there are still disadvantages in being black in this country. Banks won't give loans to black people looking to start businesses, majority black schools are still behind other schools, and so on. Economic racism is still very much alive and well because believe it or not, there are people who come against a group of black people trying to make it.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:13 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,443,647 times
Ah, this is good conversation. I'm going to have to go for a bit but I'll try to come back later and catch up. Ah Sorbo, WWWWHHHHHHHHYYYYYY!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies