Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:40 PM

100 posts, read 128,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
A sign advertising the diners bacon was received when they took part in an initiative to plant flowers in the town's traffic medians. But one of the Muslims in town posted a complaint online and backlash has forced them to remove it.

I'm a little surprised by this since the demographics on city data state Winooski, VT is mostly Catholic, with only 14% being 'other religions'. Am I reading that wrong?

The mayor of town is praising the restaurant for removing the sign.

I think this is ridiculous. It would be like me complaining that a restaurant puts up a menorah, calling it offensive, because I'm not Jewish.

What do you all think? Article is here.

Holy moly, hope these guys don't get wind of the Oinkster! The Oinkster Restaurant | Eagle Rock California

Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Hmm, she was also a Vegan.

I have and have had a number of Vegan friends. Some of them are kinda militant, some of them are very 'live and let live.'

In the long run, folks, we're most likely going to have to switch to a kind of insect paste for sustenance.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
The oddest thing about the story someone else linked to in this thread is that the complainer stated she is a fan of the restaurant and thinks their food is delicious. So she has no problem patronizing an establishment that serves meat and pork, but doesn't want a sign displayed that they earned by being good citizens?

The whole thing makes no sense to me. It seems lack of meat in your diet can make you irrational and crabby.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:17 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
I'm a vegetarian, and the sign wouldn't bother me. I mean, seriously, who cares? I'm not going to eat the bacon, but if you want to, knock yourself out.

Some people don't seem to understand that tolerance is a two-way street. If I'm going to extend tolerance to your religious beliefs, then you're going to have to extend your tolerance to those who may live their lives differently from you. Why is it always the people who scream the loudest about tolerance who are the least tolerant of all?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:43 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
I'm a vegetarian, and the sign wouldn't bother me. I mean, seriously, who cares? I'm not going to eat the bacon, but if you want to, knock yourself out.
Scientific research has actually discovered that bacon is not the best meat to knock yourself out. What actually works best is a big piece of meat with a big bone in it. Besides that, people who spend much of their time being knocked out, should avoid grease, because being knocked out while greasy makes you look like a bum.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:35 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
The wussification of America: Don't you dare hurt anyone's feeling for any reason or else you'd be called a bigot and a racist.

But those same people who claim to be tolerant are the ones who throw a hissy fit if you eat meat (evil animal killer!) or don't recycle (evil earth killer!).

I totally agree here, and I too am sick of this kind of thing. It is our country, and our culture and Christian religion is dominant here. We have no obligation to change for them, after all THEY are the immigrants. It is their duty to assimilate to our culture, not our duty to change for them. We are a very tolerant people, we let them in, as we have let people from around the world in. Most countries will not do this, in fact our people are not welcome in many of the nations these folks are coming from. What do we get in return??? demands that we change so we don't offend their muslim ways, and worse yet we sometimes deal with terrorist plots from this community, and in a worst case scenario they carry it out like they did in Boston. I don't know why we tolerate this, we certainly do not have to.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:23 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
It is not even a question of dominant culture.

It is unreasonable to allow a person to subvert the freedoms we have by using those freedoms to prohibit speech.

Besides. What man does not like BACON. Jesus they should make bacon perfume drive all the men ape sh^t as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
The most surprising think to me is that anyone could be offended by the WORD bacon.

I wouldn't eat at that establishment any longer due to their lack of common sense.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:23 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
The only thing that surprises me about this story in Vermont is that they didn't bend over all the way and offer to replace their town government with a sharia-based caliphate.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:36 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post

Some people don't seem to understand that tolerance is a two-way street. If I'm going to extend tolerance to your religious beliefs, then you're going to have to extend your tolerance to those who may live their lives differently from you. Why is it always the people who scream the loudest about tolerance who are the least tolerant of all?
Exactly, but it's difficult to know whether she was protesting as a Muslim, a vegan, or both. Still, if she can frequent a restaurant and sit next to people eating meat / bacon, why can't she put up with a sign? I think some people feign offense just so they can control something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies