Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 12:39 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,690 times

Advertisements

Boo boo...let them eat cake😄
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 12:41 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
freemkt is using the old Libertarian mind tricks

Old 08-27-2014, 12:43 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoza 1454 View Post
Shocking Picture of What Life Will Look Like When You Can't Afford to Retire
Soylent Green.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:44 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Get your own money.....I will burn mine before the government gets it.

Wicked smart.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:59 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My friend is 30, has no 401k savings and contribute nothing to their 401k losing the 6% employer match in the process. They just spent the money that could have been in their 401k....on a trip to vegas.

They aren't alone either.

How about instead of doing that you increases the FICA tax and increase SS benefits, essentially more forced saving by those whom won't.

SS already has penalties built in for the "rich" by making the benefit unproportional. (ie. the guy making 90k does not get 3x the SS payout that the guy making 30k gets)

There is no built in penalty. The wages subject to FICA taxes is capped. Anything over that amount is not subject to FICA taxes so the payout is the same for Bill Gates as it is everyone else who earned the max.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:07 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
This is happening to people regardless of political affiliation.
And what is that? People being too dumb to do the basics to prepare for some kind of a retirement?

I'm sorry, yes I feel for many people but there are too many who didn't plan at all when they had good jobs and simply assumed those jobs would carry them right through to retirement.

I see them now, 30 or 40 years old driving around in $50,000 SUV's because they happen to be making a good income now, instead of socking 25% away in their 401K's or Roth IRA's and driving something sensible. And of course they are living in the $700,000 house they will never get paid for.

You know way too many of these people heading into dire straits did exactly that in their younger years when they should have been using some common sense.

I have a daughter I'm butting heads with right now. She just went out and bought herself a brand new car when there was nothing wrong with the old one. I asked her how much she's saving for retirement, now she's mad at me since she's only 28 years old. Let her be mad, I'm going to keep beating that drum.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:10 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

I have a daughter I'm butting heads with right now. She just went out and bought herself a brand new car when there was nothing wrong with the old one. I asked her how much she's saving for retirement, now she's mad at me since she's only 28 years old. Let her be mad, I'm going to keep beating that drum.
Good for you. If you love her you'll tell her what she needs to hear instead of what she wants to hear.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:44 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
freemkt is using the old Libertarian mind tricks
The only one freemkt is tricking is himself.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:48 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
As a PhD in economics, Dr Sowell pointed it out far better than I can. According to him, zoning artificially restricts the supply of housing (in the absence of zoning, the private sector would build more housing than they build with zoning). This artificially inflates the price of housing, creating more equity for homeowners and higher rents for renters.

The result is that renters become worse off and homeowners become better off; homeowners get to enjoy more housing AND also more non-housing goods while renters get less housing and also fewer non-housing goods.

Distorting the market (e.g. restricting supply) allows landlords to charge higher rents than they would otherwise be able to command. It's like government choosing sides and picking winners and losers.

If I had a scanner I would post his brilliant graph of this.
You're skewing this a little bit. You are implying that the act of renting us the cause of becoming worse off, and the act of owning a home is the cause of becoming better off.

The reality is that the person that becomes worse off does so for a lot of reasons, none of which is tied to renting. Renting is a side effect of being worse off. The person that becomes well off does so for a lot of other reasons, none of which is tied to owning a home. Homeownership is a side effect of being the type of person that becomes well off.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
As a PhD in economics, Dr Sowell pointed it out far better than I can. According to him, zoning artificially restricts the supply of housing (in the absence of zoning, the private sector would build more housing than they build with zoning). This artificially inflates the price of housing, creating more equity for homeowners and higher rents for renters.

The result is that renters become worse off and homeowners become better off; homeowners get to enjoy more housing AND also more non-housing goods while renters get less housing and also fewer non-housing goods.

Distorting the market (e.g. restricting supply) allows landlords to charge higher rents than they would otherwise be able to command. It's like government choosing sides and picking winners and losers.

If I had a scanner I would post his brilliant graph of this.
How do you explain Europe then? Almost everyone rents in Europe. Are they all worse off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies