Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:55 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
He thinks he has the right to it.

No, but I question the basis step-up that occurs at death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 11:56 AM

74 posts, read 66,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Brilliant idea to have a "wealth tax" imposed on those that have saved their money to provide for their retirement.
It is a brilliant idea....if you're a communist.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Nope. Any home you can afford is one you can buy.

Lack of income and modern lending standards coupled with governmental regulations prevent you from buying a home you CANNOT afford.

That''s odd, I lived in an affordable home for several years; the owners relocated and offered to sell it to me, annd government got in the way.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:59 AM

74 posts, read 66,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much do you expect minimum wage workers to save for their retirement?
Question is: Why are they working a minimum wage job any longer than a year or two out of school?

Could it be their skill set doesn't warrant more pay?

Why should we care about their future...if they don't?

Old 08-29-2014, 12:14 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
I have a home business model which generates sufficient income in the presence of reasonable liviing space the 400 sq ft i have mentioned. Having to keep and pay for my inventory in storage is crippling me.
Hypothetically. Nothing's been proven yet.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:45 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoza 1454 View Post
This alternet article shows us that we need to make some serious changes in this country. I for one believe that it is high time to tax the wealthy with a wealth tax.
Yeah, lots of really stupid people think that way.

Quote:
... There is no reason in the world that Americans should be living like gypsy's in their retirement years. This is truly an outrage.
Ah, yes, a Liberal. A Liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow Man, which debt he proposes to repay with your money.

Let's compare me with a hypothetical peer of mine (a composite of several competent, rational people I know): someone who went to the same college & grad school as I did, worked for the same companies for the same wages. Let’s say my peer’s name is John.

John is a spender.

• Over the past 30 years, he's purchased new luxury and sports cars every year even though the cars lose tens of thousands of dollars of value just driving off the car lot. Why? He prefers new cars every year and is willing to pay for it.
  • John spends tens of thousands of dollars each year "enjoying life" by taking ski vacations, Disney World vacations, Las Vegas vacations, NYC vacations, cruises, and the like. Christmas? Lavish gifts for everyone.
  • John's children always have the latest expensive Nike shoes such as the $295 LeBron 11 Elite "Maison LeBron" and expensive trendy clothing such as $1000 Roberto Cavalli and Gucci jeans, and a bottomless wallet of spending money. After all, money grows on trees, right?
  • John only purchase expensive prestige clothing and haute couture such as Versace, Chanel, and the like, upgrading their wardrobe every season on an ongoing basis.
  • Every year John upgrades to the latest flat screen TVs for every room, upgrades his home electronics and the like, with the most expensive cable TV & satellite TV packages.
  • Every year John's wife redecorates heir house with new furniture, plumbing fixtures, nick-nacks and the like
  • John's wife gets $600 haircuts every month
  • John's kids go to very expensive private schools -- $29,000 per year for kindergarten up to $40,00 per year for high school (see for example The Harker School: Tuition and Financial Aid)
  • John & his family eat out constantly at expensive Celebrity-Chef restaurants, spending over $100 per person per meal, and of course, what fine dining experience would be complete without a nice $300 bottle of wine?
  • John used his house as an ATM machine via home equity lines of credit (HELOCs) to support his consumption
  • John has well over $100K in credit card debt
  • John has zero net savings
  • John never put a penny into the company 401K
  • John is constantly balancing which payments he will make (for example, not paying the electric bill until it the utility is on the verge of turning off service)
  • etc

Perhaps you know someone like John.

Let's compare John to me. I'm a saver. Perhaps you know someone like me.

• I drive a 20 year old car. I purchased it as a 3 year old vehicle. I maintain it myself. I could have gotten rid of it during the stupid "cash for clunkers" program, but did not because this car is fine for our needs.
  • My vacations for the most part have been "staycations" that don't cost money
  • We clip coupons religiously, only purchasing necessities & only when they are on sale.
  • We only shop for clothing at off-price discounters on the clearance rack, never spending more than $9 on a piece of clothing.
  • We have no luxury goods with the exception of a few things that show up at Big Lots or its like.
  • We have no cable TV bill; OTA programming is fine, as is our single TV we were given off of http://www.freecycle.org
  • We don't purchase books or magazines or newspapers - that's what the public library is for.
  • No smart phone, no tablet, no e-reader.
  • Computer? whatever is availabe on FreeCycle
  • We have 30 year old furniture
  • We never eat out if we can eat more cheaply at home
  • My wife cuts my hair
  • The kids wear hand-me-downs only. They are clean. They are not worn-out. They are fine; just hand-me-downs.
  • We have no credit card debt.
  • ... and every paycheck I religiously invest in both qualified & non-qualified retirement accounts, and save, save, save, putting every available nickel into Vanguard ETFs with good diversification.

Clearly, our personal choices over 30 years have resulted in different wealth.

The total total value of John's real assets (real estate, vehicles, etc) is $350,000.
The total value of John’s financial assets (Savings, Checking, 401ks, stocks, bonds etc) is $0.
John’s Debt: (mortgages, car loans, credit card): $450,000

Yes, John’s net worth is negative. He is not wealthy, as he has not accumulated wealth during his lifetime.

After 30 years of saving & investing & delayed gratificaion, my wealth, as reported by website calculators, places me at the 99th percentile. I'm a one percenter because of the size of my TD Ameritrade & Vanguard accounts.

Our personal choices over the past 30 years have resulted in this wealth disparity.

* Tell me again why income redistribution is a good thing?

* Tell me again why it is good policy to take some of my assets accumulated through 30 years of saving pennies to give to John so he can have a more comfortable retirement?

* Tell me again why it would be good policy to "soak the rich" (e.g., me) to give to those who never saved for the future?

Most importantly, tell me again why the wealth inequality that results from my saving over a lifetime is a "problem" that needs to be solved?

Old 08-29-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
... Then one day someone "re-allocated" the pension fund and spent it on acquisitions ...
I call BS. Pure Bull Poopy. That does not happen -- ever. Have you even read the ERISA of 1974, as amended?

Stop making things up.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Do you understand Economics? Zoning artificially inflates the price of the roof over my head.
We agree. Governmental regulation of prices & supply makes things worse. This is true in the market for housing; it is also true in the market for labor and cars and electricity and clothing and consumer electronics.

Governmental regulation of the marketplace is wrong.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
??? Do you believe a majority of renters reject home ownership and CHOOSE to rent?
Perhaps you might ask that question on the "Urban Planning" forum. You'll get an answer there.

Implied in your question is some benefit about home ownership that accrues to a home owner that does not accrue to a renter.

What benefit are you referring to? Why is this such a big deal to you?

Old 08-29-2014, 01:49 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
This alternet article shows us that we need to make some serious changes in this country. I for one believe that it is high time to tax the wealthy with a wealth tax. We should also raise payroll tax cap on Social Security. There is no reason in the world that Americans should be living like gypsy's in their retirement years. This is truly an outrage.

Shocking Picture of What Life Will Look Like When You Can't Afford to Retire | Alternet

Shocking Picture of What Life Will Look Like When You Can't Afford to Retire
Harper's Magazine! Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies