Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:35 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Water in Detroit is outrageously expensive. Even living in a drought-prone region, I don't come close to paying that much, and I probably should given western water supply issues. But Detroit? Why on earth is water so freaking expensive there?
To pay for all those inflated union benefits liberals saw fit to give them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 03:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
I am confused by the impact on the poor. Presumably the poor are renting and the landlord gets the bill. No doubt, some renters are subsidized by Section 8 and other programs which means the landlords are getting paid.

Who owns these buildings? Why are the owners not paying their bills? And what's up with the country club?

The city could publish the names/mailing addresses of all the people/corporations who have not paid their water bill.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:37 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Default Democrats have only your best interest at heart.....

It figures......

Democrat Peters Profits from Detroit Water
Earns thousands from utility that shuts off water to struggling residents

BY: Bill McMorris
August 26, 2014
Michigan Democrat Gary Peters has earned thousands of dollars from the Detroit water system that has been attacked by many on the left for cutting off water to struggling residents.

Peters, a three-term congressman, has invested between $15,001 and $50,000 in Detroit Water Supply bonds through a trust fund. Those bonds netted him between $1,001 and $2,500 in 2013, according to his most recent campaign finance disclosure, and will earn him thousands more by the time the bonds mature in 2029.

The utility began shutting down water to residents who were behind on their bills in the midst of the record-setting municipal bankruptcy. The city instituted a brief moratorium on shutoffs that kept the water on for all residents. That moratorium ended Monday night, meaning that the city could begin shutting down service to homes that failed to pay 10 percent on their outstanding balance, though some have received an extension until Thursday.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:39 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Just a guess, but perhaps it is so expensive due to the "compassion" of letting people get away with not paying their bill.
The majority of the articles written on the subject focus on the hardship caused by the "obviously greedy and racist Detroit Water Company." Apparently the assumption is that the DWC should pay their employees and bond holders with IOU's (?) Reported statistics say that the water bills of over 150,000 Detroit households are delinquent; a number that has increased 120-percent over the last decade.

To quote one article, "Local activists estimate this could impact nearly half of Detroit's mostly poor and black population – between 200,000 and 300,000 people." While the number is significant and deserves attention, the focus of the 'activists' is invariably misplaced.

This is an ongoing, long-term problem caused by people choosing NOT to pay their water bills! If these 'activists' more 'actively' encouraged or helped people pay their bills, there would be a whole lot less "greed and racism" to protest against.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:11 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The majority of the articles written on the subject focus on the hardship caused by the "obviously greedy and racist Detroit Water Company." Apparently the assumption is that the DWC should pay their employees and bond holders with IOU's (?) Reported statistics say that the water bills of over 150,000 Detroit households are delinquent; a number that has increased 120-percent over the last decade.

To quote one article, "Local activists estimate this could impact nearly half of Detroit's mostly poor and black population – between 200,000 and 300,000 people." While the number is significant and deserves attention, the focus of the 'activists' is invariably misplaced.

This is an ongoing, long-term problem caused by people choosing NOT to pay their water bills! If these 'activists' more 'actively' encouraged or helped people pay their bills, there would be a whole lot less "greed and racism" to protest against.
thanks for that info. I was just guessing, but as is so often the case, purported "compassion" winds up generating misery.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:24 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Water in Detroit is outrageously expensive. Even living in a drought-prone region, I don't come close to paying that much, and I probably should given western water supply issues. But Detroit? Why on earth is water so freaking expensive there?
I have no idea. I'm in a suburb of Detroit and my bill fluctuates between $270 and $350 every three months during the year. I pay about $3.40/day for water and sewer but it beats the alternative.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Look to your very highly paid and compensated government workers. Not to mention corruption.

Most likely though, people got behind on their payments, did NOT get their water turned off and figured why pay them.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Look to your very highly paid and compensated government workers. Not to mention corruption.
Completely agree.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Obviously the city will expect the feds to bail out the deadbeats. Just another angle to get federal money.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:10 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Check out the Detroit Free Press. Look at all the articles about how they have bent over backwards to try and make it as easy as possible for these deadbeats to pay their bills. Payment plans, pay 10%, forgive 25%, moratorium -- none of it matter. They want their FREE stuff. It's no mystery why Detroit is bankrupt.

25,000 Detroit water customers sign up for plans before shutoffs resume - Detroit Free Press

The article in the UK Guardian is so inflammatory - "white racist Right Wing".
Exactly why is this International "News"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies