Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 06:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Are you a female Chuck Norris? No offense, I'm not a gun nut... but if someone points a gun at your head at even relatively close range, I will be willing to bet that you won't do a damn thing other than what you're told. This is not the movies, you do not have Superman speed, and all the assailant has to do is move their index finger half a millimeter and you have a bullet through your cranium.
And of course all the Batty Mastersons out there with their Colt Defender .45 ACP tucked into their belt are going to do anything different than what "they're being told" by the guy with the gun pointing it at their head.

All cretins intending harm with the use of a firearm are going telegraph their intent and give you a heads up? Truth is you'll very likely be a casualty regardless, and now the cretin has a better quality gun to use next time, with his old one being passed along to another cretin.

Net result: one more damn gun the rest of you all need to fear.

You've created the classic "catch 22" for yourselves. The unfettered proliferation of firearms has resulted in you feeling the need for firearms to protect yourselves from your fellow citizens with firearms.

This will all end badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 06:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I'm 70 and a scrapper from the old days. Now I always carry concealed and took all the advanced classes to earn it. I'm too old to fight and I'm too proud to run. People like me are considered prey in a 4 acre, Walmart parking lot. We've had people shot for no other reason than being in a rest area, parked. Here in Arizona, they kick in your door and take everything you have. It's an industry. They don't **** with the rural areas, as they know we're armed.
I believe in there not being any sense to arguing with your feeling of need to carry. If you genuinely feel where you live, the threat of a violent confrontation is a possible reality and your ability or choice to move from there is moot, then no one should challenge or even question your decision to 'concealed carry'.

The tragedy is this situation exists where you are under pervasive threat in your own country to the degree this is even a topic of discussion.

I know many concealed carry folks and none of them broadcast the fact. I know one guy who carries in his golf bag while playing 18 holes. That facet of his behaviour, while firstly seeming outlandish, was explained thusly "I'm not leaving it in my car while it's unattended in a car park no one is watching". After some thought it made sense that a golf course parking lot would very likely be a prime spot for car break-ins looking for valuables to support a drug habit.

He had accepted all of the responsibilities associated with the carrying of a firearm on a constant basis included making sure it was overseen by him continuously wherever possible.

This would not be my choice but then I'm not living where the threat of personal harm to me or mine are a distinct possibility.

Both you and he, I would suspect, cringed when they read this news article and immediately thought "just what all legitimate gun owners needed, another accidental shooting that needn't have happened if even a modicum of common sense were involved at all."

Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Hope the NRA sees fit to free up some of their lobbying funds to get this kid some psychological counselling, seems like it's the least they could do and Lord knows after such a traumatic event she'll need all the support she can get.

I am sorry, but I fail to see how the NRA is responsible for this. The parents and deceased instructor are to blame.

I learned to shoot when I was 6, but it wasn't with an UZI.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:09 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
No I never have either but isn't the point being; we never want to. You're still going with it's never happened before so it likely won't. That range probably never had a nine year old kill an instructor either but......

I'd be willing to put money on strays having gone through that gap dependant upon how long that burger joint range has been there. Any stray round from an authorized range is one too many, regardless of where the thing is situated.

Somebody stipulated the building of the berm and installed the overcover, why?
Quit being so argumentative. The range has safety features, probably stipulated by the county. I'm sure the range operators know a hell of a lot more about building a safe range than you do. Even way out in the desert folks that shoot do so into hill or mountainside for general safety. Outdoor ranges are open to the sky by definition. So exactly how tall of a berm is required in your "expert" opinion?

Face it, dude. You have no idea what you're talking about. You're just trying to fan the flames of hysteria.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:58 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
Bad parents.
I'm far from anti gun, but this was big failure of common sense all around.

I get they may have thought she would look "cute" with a gun. But wow, total lack of judgement from everyone involved. Sad thing is that girl probably will have to live with what happened for the rest of her life.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:17 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
No I never have either but isn't the point being; we never want to. You're still going with it's never happened before so it likely won't. That range probably never had a nine year old kill an instructor either but......

I'd be willing to put money on strays having gone through that gap dependant upon how long that burger joint range has been there. Any stray round from an authorized range is one too many, regardless of where the thing is situated.

Somebody stipulated the building of the berm and installed the overcover, why?
You're worried about a little gap in the overcover, but ignoring the fact that the overcover doesn't go all the way back to the shooter...

(for the record, I think the range is fine, some don't have ANY overcover)

Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 PM

46,957 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You're worried about a little gap in the overcover, but ignoring the fact that the overcover doesn't go all the way back to the shooter...

(for the record, I think the range is fine, some don't have ANY overcover)
Looks good to me, too. But range safety design goes hand in hand with safe practices (and enforcement of same) on the part of the operators/users. We have pretty good evidence the operators had a problem with their safety culture.

In other words, it's an eternal truth that you can't build something idiot-proof, because the universe will come up with a better grade of idiot.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
News sources in Arizona and elsewhere say B&B is "closed indefinitely".

Old 08-28-2014, 04:03 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Here we go, and you wonder why you cannot have a real conversation with an anti gun nut...

How many other children have fired that same UZI....many more I'm sure than you care to think about...
How many children have done other reckless things and lived to tell about it? Many. Does that make it a good idea? NO.

Quote:
Nope, not a 9 year old, but if my son had his learning permit at 15 (now here is the kicker and this may make your mind EXPLODE, if the place LET HIM DRIVE, why not), damn right I would let him drive a super car....
Good for you, bad for your kid. At 9 or 15 while just learning, your kid does not have the skills and experience to safely drive a race car at high speeds, even if you or some other "professional" happens to be around. Apparently, you don't value your kid's safety.

Quote:
You cannot say that with any factual evidence, when you can provide evidence that that little girl was the ONLY child to EVER go through there, then I will remove all my posts and apologize to you. Until then, you have to continue with the name calling, becuas that is all you have, name calling and ZERO to back anything up...
I can say it with factual evidence.

FACT: 9 year-old was encouraged and allowed by adults to operate a lethal firearm above her capacity to safely handle.

FACT: 9 year-old operated said firearm and was unable to safely control the device, and inadvertently killed another person as a direct result.

LOGICAL DEDUCTION: If 9 year-old had not been put in the ridiculous position of operating a dangerous piece of equipment that she does not have the foundational training or experience level to safely handle, the other person would not have been killed in said incident.

LOGICAL DEDUCTION: the knowledge and memory of perforating another human's skill with a bullet or few at close range is an event that any experienced therapist would tell you is the kind of stuff that tends not to be positive, even for a 9 year-old.

I accept your apology, thanks.

Quote:
Good GOD....this right here is why you cannot have any type of conversation with someone who is dead set against any type of gun...grenades.....you shoud really do yourself some research before spewing utter ignorance....
You seem to have no limit as to the dangerous and unnecessarily reckless things you think kids should do, so what's the big deal.

Quote:
But keep up the great work, you are a model for the anti guners....I don't have an argument, yet I'll throw in the old tried and tru grenade argument...that'lll teach em....
I am a model for rational, responsible adults. If I didn't have an argument, a 9 year-old would not have been operating a dangerous device beyond her skill level, and an adult would now be alive instead of dead.

Quote:
If you have children I feel sorry for them, they will be afraid of every little thing that jumps at them....
Yes, because I don't let them operate Uzis and drive race cars. What nonsense you spew.

When it comes to your kids, most rational and intelligent parents exercise a conservative level of reasonable care for their safety, not the minimum. That means they don't put them into situations that have excessive risk of death or injury relative to their capacity to mitigate the risks - and risks that are entirely unnecessary to take. There is no need for a 9 year-old to be messing with a high-recoil automatic weapon! The only reason is because the parent is a reckless idiot and thinks it "cool" for the kid to have a thrill with something not intended for small kids. My kids can play with Uzis once they get through puberty and scale up to the level of independent maturity, skill, and experience to safely handle such a device. How's that for a revolutionary thought? Apparently, it's one that gun nuts have never considered.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:44 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
That poor little girl.

They should lie to her and say the guy is ok.

So sad for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies