Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I fired full auto weapons when I was 12, wasn't a big deal. No need to ban something because one person made a bad decision.
And had incredibly bad luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
And had incredibly bad luck.
Yep.

Life is inherently unsafe.

Not every problem needs a mandated solution that most times do not even address the problem.

Last edited by shooting4life; 08-27-2014 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-27-2014, 08:10 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Um, did you not read the thread yesterday about Chicago and having a lower crime rate while having carry permits going up?

Many liberals shot down the argument quite effectively.

Maybe you just aren't looking in the right place?

I did read that thread, I didn't see how liberals shot down the argument effectively. I saw that some people were saying the concealed carry reduced crime, and some said it didn't. Neither side could prove how much, or how little concealed carry contributed to the lower crime rate. What has been proven many time over, is that liberals were just plain wrong when they insisted that concealed carry would increase violent crime, and "turn the streets red with blood".

Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I fired full auto weapons when I was 12, wasn't a big deal. No need to ban something because one person made a bad decision.
I have been VERY clear that I don't support a ban.

Please either respond to what I wrote, or choose to not respond at all. Nobody in this discussion is calling for a ban, your comments are misplaced.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I have been VERY clear that I don't support a ban.

Please either respond to what I wrote, or choose to not respond at all. Nobody in this discussion is calling for a ban, your comments are misplaced.
You want to ban children from using certain guns while supervised. I did respond.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:31 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
No, we do not to make it illegal, laws do not cure the lack of Common Sense. But I have delivered a swift kick to the south side on more than one occasion when some moron cannot seem to or refuses to follow my instructions and the range rules, it is a lesson usually learned the first time it is applied. I lost count of the times I have had loaded weapons pointed at me and others on the range, even after a short class that emphasized Safety and most of all to never point a weapon at anyone or anything they do not intend to destroy. I used to carry and assembled rifle cleaning rod to assist in clearing jams and it came in very handy as a teaching tool for the hopelessly stupid.
People make mistakes, and sometimes safety violations happen, but they should be incredibly rare. If they aren't incredibly rare, it's the instructor and his/her instruction methods, not the students fault.

Quote:
That is because guns are legal, and that doesn't need to change.

No need to change means nothing to say (crickets).

Advocating removal of all controls, allowing a 9 year old (or any normal citizen for that matter) to have free access to an Uzi is a different topic, and tends to bring some out of the woodwork.

The same could be said for your side. I haven't seen too many pro-gun people post threads saying that they support gun rights, but gee-whiz, look at the cost of it. That would not support their agenda, and therefore wouldn't make sense, would it?
Nobody wants to see people injured or killed in gun accidents, but we need to keep the number of accidents in prospective. There are millions of people carrying guns, and participating in hunting, and recreational shooting everyday in this country, accidents are very rare. Car accidents injure and killed far more people than guns every year. Drunk driver kill as many people as are murdered by people using guns, but nobody is calling for car bans, or alcohol bans. Lets's also remember that gun ownership is protected under the Constitution, cars, and alcohol are not. Again, lets keep things in prospective.

Last edited by stburr91; 08-27-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Nobody wants to see people injured or killed in gun accidents, but we need to keep the number of accidents in prospective. There are millions of people carrying guns, and participating in hunting, and recreational shooting everyday in this country, accidents are very rare. Car accidents injure and killed far more people than guns every year. Drunk driver kill as many people as are murdered by people using guns, but nobody is calling for car bans, or alcohol bans. Lets's also remember that gun ownership is protected under the Constitution, cars, and alcohol are not. Again, lets keep things in prospective.
Are you kidding? Lot's of people have called for the ban of alcohol (mostly those on the far right).

Nobody here is calling for a gun ban, but I am suggesting that controls would be good.

Heck, if you look at a previous post, it could be twisted around to say that a "car ban" already exists. Shooting4life equated my suggestion of controls that would not allow an 8 year old to shoot a fully automatic uzi. Well, we already won't let a 9 year old drive a car, so by the same way my words were twisted, there already exists a ban on cars.

I don't believe that, but if I apply the same slippery logic then it would appear so.

And I don't believe you want to see people get killed either. I just wish we (society) could have an honest discussion about ANYTHING where people didn't twist things around. In a perfect world, we'd be able to protect gun rights and not feel threatened by having some common sense rules to prevent tragedies like the one we are discussing today.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:55 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
People make mistakes, and sometimes safety violations happen, but they should be incredibly rare. If they aren't incredibly rare, it's the instructor and his/her instruction methods, not the students fault.
They are rare but with some people they simply refuse to learn, as I said before more than one person has been asked to leave the range and in a few very rare cases told not to return. I agree if the student has not been properly taught it is the instructors fault if/when something bad happens, everyone has to take personal responsibility for their own actions.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default Advocates of absolutely no control on guns: Was this girl a thug?

Nope.

The "instructor" was a moron, though. Now he's a dead one.

Sometimes, stupid hurts.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Was this girl a thug?
No, but her parents are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies