Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 02:06 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,245,772 times

Advertisements

The rise of autism is correlated w the rise of GMOs, plastics, pollutants, and so called "anti-bacterial" cleansers.

I don't expect an "answer" anytime soon as where would the funds come from to challenge the corporations who manufacturer such stuff?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,434,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
The rise of autism is correlated w the rise of GMOs, plastics, pollutants, and so called "anti-bacterial" cleansers.

I don't expect an "answer" anytime soon as where would the funds come from to challenge the corporations who manufacturer such stuff?
actually there is not much of a rise in autism, but there has been a lot of changes to how it is evaluated and documented and treated

less than 40 years ago, in the 70's most were not even diagnosed as autistic, most children were diagnosed with 'childhood schizophrenia "...even today children who are classified as add/adhd are within the prism of the autism spectrum.....there are like 40 different neurologic patterns within the autism spectrum...used to be you have to have 7 of them to be classified...today its just 5.

any parent who has a child with an IEP can tell you it all depends on who does the testing and how....many parents used to refuse having the child classified, now many push for it to be able to get disability for the child

does environmental have some play in to...sure

but mostly it is genetic

disclamer...ANYONE can republish/reprint/copy my work

Last edited by workingclasshero; 09-01-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 09-01-2014, 08:39 AM

13,290 posts, read 7,843,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

disclamer...ANYONE can republish my work
It would be unethical to republish garble and deceit.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:09 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,679,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually there is not much of a rise in autism, but there has been a lot of changes to how it is evaluated and documented and treated.

less than 40 years ago, in the 70's most were not even diagnosed as autistic, most children were diagnosed with 'childhood schizophrenia "...even today children who are classified as add/adhd are within the prism of the autism spectrum.....there are like 40 different neurologic patterns within the autism spectrum...used to be you have to have 7 of them to be classified...today its just 5.

any parent who has a child with an IEP can tell you it all depends on who does the testing and how....many parents used to refuse having the child classified, now many push for it to be able to get disability for the child

does environmental have some play in to...sure

but mostly it is genetic
In 1985 1 in 2500 children were diagnosed with autism
In 2000 1 in 500 children were diagnosed with autism
In 2009 1 in 91 children were diagnose with autism
In 2012 1 in 88 children were diagnosed with autism

Autism is much more common in boys then girls. The rate of diagnosis for boys is now 1 in 54 boys being diagnosed with autism as opposed to 1 in 252 girls (this according to 2012 numbers, who knows what it is today?)

I'm sure better diagnostic screening tools and awareness accounts for some of the rise in diagnosis but saying that it is the main reason seems like a major stretch to me. It's dangerous to ignore the increase in numbers and try to write it off as some sort of "screening issue" because it prevents us from looking into the cause and trying to figure out what exactly is going on. Genetics appear to play a strong role in autism but autism also appears to have environmental triggers. One of many triggers could be due to vaccines and the recent news about the study involving Thompson shows that further inquiry into the possibility needs to be done. It should have been done when it was discovered in 2003 but instead it was covered up. Any thinking person will ask themselves, why, instead of trying to blindly defend the organization who was complicit in the cover up.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:47 PM

The latest numbers from show 1 in 68 children are diagnosed with autism. 1 in 45 boys have autism. 1 in 189 girls. It keeps getting worse and worse and worse.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/27/health...ism/index.html

Old 09-01-2014, 04:57 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Not sure of the details here, however, there is an increasingly long list of various whistle-blowers who would state otherwise. They can go into great detail about how their lives were ruined for doing so. This has gotten progressively worse from the 80s-90s.
I have read a lot of info about this case, and in one article I read it said Thompson couldn't be fired due to the Whistleblower Act. He looks old enough to retire. It sure took him a while to have this crisis of conscience, and he has lawyered up. Thompson hasn't been too cooperative with the autism people, either. http://www.ageofautism.com/2014/08/a...ine-fraud.html, http://www.ageofautism.com/2014/09/h...-thompson.html

Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 AM

I think that the people involved in this "Thompson, Hooker, etc." are less important then the actual act of omitting statistically significant information, not following protocol and the potential damage that has been done due to those things. I don't care who made that information public, I'm just glad we know about it. I'm concerned because it doesn't appear that anything positive will be done with this new information because the mainstream media is either refusing to report on it or assisting in covering up. It's being swept under the rug.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,454,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

So is global warming with the decline of piracy in the Caribbean. There's the big difference between correlation and causation. This is stats and evidence 101.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
So is global warming with the decline of piracy in the Caribbean. There's the big difference between correlation and causation. This is stats and evidence 101.
According to the specific study that is the premise of this thread, there is a correlation between the age when children get the MMR vaccine and autism in African American boys.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
According to the specific study that is the premise of this thread, there is a correlation between the age when children get the MMR vaccine and autism in African American boys.
There MIGHT be. And there are many reasons to believe otherwise. Now you want to forget about ethically challenged Hooker, and the Good Dr. Thompson, b/c he's not behaving like the autism people wanted him to. He lawyered up and he's not saying anything more. But he said in his letter, it was possible for professionals to disagree. He's leaving himself wiggle room in case he's wrong. It's not as cut and dried as you wish. And you've twisted the "evidence" even further with your statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.