Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

I wonder why?
St. Louis Is Growing More Diverse?Just Not in the Black Half of Town - NationalJournal.com
Quote:
The Gateway to the West has grown more diverse, but you might not notice if you live north of the city's iconic steel Arch. The predominantly black neighborhoods on this half of St. Louis remain segregated and neglected, far from the bustling immigrant communities flourishing in the traditionally white neighborhoods to the south.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-29-2014 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 12:23 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
It's only a matter of time until people with money start buying up cheap properties and gentrifying the area.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:18 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
The White communities like Crestwood, Mehlville & Sunset Hills are not growing more racially diverse.

25% of the south side is Black. 27% of the neighborhoods in the city of St. Louis have a Black and White mix of 20% or more putting it in the top 5 most integrated cities in the country. Compared to 5.7% in Chicago 4.10% NYC and 3.7% in San Francisco. Blacks do live in integrated neighborhoods in the city.

On the other side of things many of the toy towns of St. Louis county have issues with diversifying their police departments. They are bringing in too much revenue from tickets and fees. The level of trust isn't where it should be. Ferguson and St. Louis county showed their arsses to the world over the past 2 weeks. They should be shamed!

Old 08-29-2014, 08:42 AM

2,417 posts, read 1,448,686 times
That's okay, most areas in the US are still segregated. I think black people in these areas need to go back to the old model of how it was before integration. Start businesses and serve their communities. Follow the immigrant pattern and create a Blacktown.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's only a matter of time until people with money start buying up cheap properties and gentrifying the area.
St. Louis City has been rotting from the inside from the inside out for awhile now, and people have been buying old rotting properties cheaply for awhile now. I can't believe there will be a large amount of growth until they do something about the crime rate, and fund better public schools.

Everybody leaves to the county as soon as they have kids and can afford to do so, because of the high crime rate and poor public schools. Then they drive a half hour to visit the museums, sculptures, parks, restaurants, zoo, and other attractions every once in awhile and they don't have to be there at night which is nice because they don't have to worry about being murdered for their shoes.

I don't know why anyone would move into St. Louis City. I would have thought it would have continued to become like a donut, with a growing residential county area, surrounding a nearly empty, rotting residential city center with several fun parks and museums to drive down to during the weekend.

I do like the creativity of St. Louis City and the people there though. I just don't trust them not to kill me for my shoes at night

There are of course several great private schools in St. Louis City...for those people with strange enough mental processes that they desire to pay college tuition-like costs for what would be free education in the county....

Maybe they like having easy access to Forest Park or the City Garden:
http://cdnfiles.hdrcreme.com/34551/m...jpg?1324596620

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-29-2014 at 11:38 AM..

Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 AM

471 posts, read 600,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
That's okay, most areas in the US are still segregated. I think black people in these areas need to go back to the old model of how it was before integration. Start businesses and serve their communities. Follow the immigrant pattern and create a Blacktown.
A great idea, but you can't serve others (or your community at large) if you are only concerned with serving yourself.

A culture of giving and gratitude is what transforms a community for the long run.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
A great idea, but you can't serve others (or your community at large) if you are only concerned with serving yourself.

A culture of giving and gratitude is what transforms a community for the long run.

Not saying the businesses should only serve black people. Anyone can shop there etc, but we need to create a sense of community among these areas.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Not saying the businesses should only serve black people. Anyone can shop there etc, but we need to create a sense of community among these areas.
The Italians in St. Louis have a section called "The Hill." It's filled with great restaurants. The residents are proud of that area. You see Italian flags on lawns. They don't seem rich. They live in tiny homes with no yards cramped next to each other...but clean, and not rotting.

The black sections look rather frightening and more run down than the rest of the city. I would think a greater sense of community within the enormous black population of St. Louis would be good for the whole city. About half the city is African American, which means with encouraged community patriotism there'd be plenty of customers for African American small businesses (which don't seem too common). You see African Americans filling all the positions at fast food restaurants, stores, gas stations and other minimum wage jobs, where they're viewed as cheap labor and their employers probably don't care about them...and there are probably very limited opportunities for career advancement.

If a few black people want to open up a few business in largely black areas and only hire local black people...that sounds spectacular.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
The Italians in St. Louis have a section called "The Hill." It's filled with great restaurants. The residents are proud of that area. You see Italian flags on lawns. They don't seem rich. They live in tiny homes with no yards cramped next to each other...but clean, and not rotting.

The black sections look rather frightening and more run down than the rest of the city. I would think a greater sense of community within the enormous black population of St. Louis would be good for the whole city. About half the city is African American, which means with encouraged community patriotism there'd be plenty of customers for African American small businesses (which don't seem too common). You see African Americans filling all the positions at fast food restaurants, stores, gas stations and other minimum wage jobs, where they're viewed as cheap labor and their employers probably don't care about them...and there are probably very limited opportunities for career advancement.

If a few black people want to open up a few business in largely black areas and only hire local black people...that sounds spectacular.

Absolutely. With these businesses, there would be jobs to cut down the high unemployment. I imagine given some time, the area would be a bustling place on par with Greenwood Oklahoma in the 1920s. Unlike most immigrants, black people in this country have a pretty sizable population. If they came together and created these communities, they would be a life source to the US economy. So much potential here.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:02 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
What point are you trying to convey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies