Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
remember, white conservative males never bring up race, its always liberal whites. yet its a conservative white male op dragging up a link from 20 years ago, which is exactly what i thought the op only said liberals do.

this is the same link many conservative white males troll with when trying to denigrate blacks.
Maybe it's true too much of the time. I'm 100 percent sure people, even free Black people, said the SAME things about us "Irish" 150 years ago. Our rep was THAT bad and that part of my family history I ain't real proud of.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That's just so wrong on many levels that you had to deal with that kind of prejudice.
Being who I am, I've seem some very unsavory behavior from both groups. Perhaps seeing both sides is part of why I have to wonder about comments of Jesse Jackson.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Maybe it's true too much of the time. I'm 100 percent sure people, even free Black people, said the SAME things about us "Irish" 150 years ago. Our rep was THAT bad and that part of my family history I ain't real proud of.
The Irish might have had a bad reputation in those days. On the other hand, I have to wonder what part "Nativist" mentality played in it. The Irish were stereotyped as drinkers and fighters. While many Irish were involved in that, I wonder what the Irish who weren't into that stuff had been thinking in those days. Today, and particularly every 17 March, being Irish is considered celebratory, especially when it comes to drinking. No stigma attached to it. In 1900, however, being Irish was not seen in those terms.

As for the Irish vs Blacks, I do know that there were tensions between the Blacks and the Irish. One notable violent incident took place in Cincinnati. I don't remember when, but it was during the days of slavery, when Black slaves were escaping to Ohio and Michigan.

Today, the Irish are seen as the immigrants who came, and worked very hard at the dirtiest and most dangerous jobs in order to make it. I will give the Irish that. Alot of them came and worked hard. On that same token, alot of Blacks did the dirtiest and lowest jobs, and did so from the moment they were brought to the USA.

I can't say many Blacks would be proud of the underclass at all. As far as I know, alot of Blacks try to get away from the underclass.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:56 AM

66 posts, read 51,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You guys need to make up your mind...

Jesse said this 20 years ago and now you guys are holding him up on your shoulders?
You should have told that to your friends at MSNBC when they kept bringing up Ron Paul's 30 year old newsletters.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:16 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Being who I am, I've seem some very unsavory behavior from both groups. Perhaps seeing both sides is part of why I have to wonder about comments of Jesse Jackson.
As you know, both groups have bigots; bigots are not connected to any race; they are human beings who are angry at life, and will strike out at those around them, whatever color they may be; it's unfortunate, but this is the nature of the beast.

As for Jesse the reverend, he is an opportunist.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
As you know, both groups have bigots; bigots are not connected to any race; they are human beings who are angry at life, and will strike out at those around them, whatever color they may be; it's unfortunate, but this is the nature of the beast.

As for Jesse the reverend, he is an opportunist.
Bigots go after who they think they can have power over. Being a bigot isn't only about being angry at life. It is about power. Anyone can be a bigot. I agree with that. However, one major thing that makes a difference is the amount of power used. The most violent bigots are often the most poorly educated and are either the working poor or the unemployed. Sometimes the alcoholics.

I don't pay alot of attention to Jesse Jackson. I don't know alot of Blacks that do pay much attention to him.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:04 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
There is alot of ignorance in this. This is what I see. You have regular Black people, and then you have the hood rat culture. It is very stupid to reduce Black culture to "babies mamas", "rappers" and "violence". That is all hood rat culture. I know the difference. Unfortunately, alot of people are either too ignorant or bigoted to make that distinction.

Brian McKnight, Richard Wright, Wynton Marsalis, Earth Wind and Fire, Stevie Wonder, Cornel West, Bill Cosby, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Henry Louis Gates Jr, they are all part of Black culture. None of them are part of the hood rat culutre. None of them contribute to violence, out of wedlock births, and anti-intellectualism.

Hood rat culture is the culture that exists among a big part of the Black underclass. Hood rat culture is really the problem. Hood rat culture that is so popular. Those who espouse hood rat culture commit the murders, not the Black population at large. Those who cause the crime, they are most likely those who ascribe to hood rat culture. The rest of the Black population has nothing to do with that part. Want to talk about someone, talk about the underclass.

The thing is, those who are part of the underclass will not listen. Bill Cosby called them out in specific. What happened? Members of the underclass lashed out at him, especially women. Michael Nutter, mayor of Philadelphia, and a Black man, spoke out against the teenagers who were attacking people in Philadelphia in 2011. They didn't listen. Black people have spoken out, but those who needed to listen never do listen.

This is the thing. The Black people who are the most likely to care if a non-Black person is scared of them are the Black people who have their act together. Postulating towards the Black population as a whole isn't going to make the Black underclass behave. It paints the rest of us with the same broad paintbrush, and the underclass persons who behave like fools in the first place don't care what you say.
Great post!

Old 08-30-2014, 04:43 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Black America? Better question is which segment of the Black population? And which segment of the Black population? Quite typical to not make any distinctions between the likes of Brian McKnght/Richard Wright/Cornel West/Bill Cosby vs Hoodrat culture.
Some people hold on to any and everything they can find that confirms their bigotry.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:53 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
Jesse Jackson isn't revered in Black culture. When he arrived at the Ferguson protests most people wanted him to leave and let it be known publicly.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:55 PM

260 posts, read 195,153 times
Of course Jesse Jackson wants to see lots of white people behind him: How do you think he got his position in life?

The official spokesman for anything racially divisive. Awfully profitable. Pity he didn't spend more time with his politically-minded son teaching him ethics, if he even could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies