Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:21 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Heres a link so everyone who is concerned can send their money to Alan Gottlieb. Please donate early and often..Alan needs your money.

Donations - Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
I love that you can't argue the facts, at least not rationally, so you get snarky. While the likes of Buffet, Gates, Obama, and the rest of those billionaires with their political cronies slowly take your rights... you're concerned with Gottlieb making money. That's a backassward position to any thinking man.

----------------

For release 8-30-2014
CCRKBA CHIEF SAYS BLOOMBERG, BILLIONAIRES
TRYING TO BUY FREEDOM ONE RIGHT AT A TIME

BELLEVUE, WA – Today’s revelation that Michael Bloomberg’s “Everytown for Gun Safety” lobbying organization has donated another million dollars to the already-swollen Initiative 594 campaign war chest confirms that a “handful of billionaires” are intent on buying the November election, and along with it, the privacy rights of Washington State citizens, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms said.

“It’s looking more like ‘Every Billionaire for Gun Control’ wants to buy this election,” said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb. “Voters should be very concerned when wealthy elitists like Bloomberg believe that their civil rights are for sale.

“If they can buy your gun rights today,” he questioned, “what other rights will they go after tomorrow? Maybe your right to drink soda, or decide what you want to eat. Or maybe they will try to buy your right to petition the government, or your freedom to assemble and associate with like-minded friends and neighbors.”

Bloomberg is not the only billionaire backing I-594, the 18-page gun control measure on the November ballot. Advertised as a so-called “universal background check” proposal for gun sales, I-594 goes much farther, requiring data collection on all handgun transfers, including loans and gifts to friends, neighbors and in-laws with only a few narrow exceptions for immediate family members.

Even people who have concealed pistol licenses, and have passed background checks, are not exempt from this unworkable measure, nor are police officers and sheriffs’ deputies.

“The state’s largest and most respected law enforcement organizations, representing more than 7,500 rank-and-file officers, oppose I-594,” Gottlieb noted. “The billionaires are trying to drown the opposition with a flood of money. In addition to Bloomberg, billionaires Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Steve Ballmer and Nick Hanauer have invested small fortunes in their juggernaut campaign to buy the election.

“No one elected these people to control your life,” Gottlieb warned. “That is especially true with Bloomberg. I'll remind every citizen of the state that you have a vote in this election, and Michael Bloomberg doesn't, because he doesn't live in Washington. He just wants to buy it.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 02:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Oh no, billionaires are in support of better background checks in this country, what is the world coming to.

It is just amazing how much the right wingers are against any form of background check when it comes to buying a gun. And many seem to act like their world is falling apart when they have to show that they are of sane mind and void of criminal status to buy one.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:43 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh no, billionaires are in support of better background checks in this country, what is the world coming to.

It is just amazing how much the right wingers are against any form of background check when it comes to buying a gun. And many seem to act like their world is falling apart when they have to show that they are of sane mind and void of criminal status to buy one.
Maybe find some empirical evidence that criminals are buying their guns legally outside of the current background check process

It is amazing how the anti gun liberals want to restrict civil rights without any evidence that a problem even exists or how certain laws they are proposing will actually make a measurable difference. Like showing a marked drop in crime when a previous state implements such ban

Old 08-30-2014, 03:04 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,663 times
Bill Gates made $33,300,000 per day last year. Wasting an hour to talk to some beer swilling knuckle dragging idiot would cost him over a million dollars in wasted time. Why would anyone be surprised that he declined the offer.

Quote:
It is just amazing how much the right wingers are against any form of background check when it comes to buying a gun
The gun lobby, namely the NRA is going to make an issue of any gun regulation. It gets them fundraising dollars. They then use that to further manipulate people and the vicious cycle continues.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Maybe find some empirical evidence that criminals are buying their guns legally outside of the current background check process

It is amazing how the anti gun liberals want to restrict civil rights without any evidence that a problem even exists or how certain laws they are proposing will actually make a measurable difference. Like showing a marked drop in crime when a previous state implements such ban
Well in that case, let's stock vending machines with guns. No need for background checks or really any check when it comes to buying a gun.

That is basically what you are saying right now. Buying a gun should be easier than buying a pack of gum.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:13 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
At least be factually accurate, they're supporting an extension not an improvement. The same method of background check is performed now for commercial sales as would be performed if this passes, it just will be more broadly applied.

Quote:
If you're focused on the weeds you might see it that way, but it's permitting government to regulate the sales between private citizens. Let's hope that you're so for this when you are required to sell your used car to a dealer for under market value (because someone lobbied to end private sales of motorvehicles), or homes require the use of real estate agents both for public safety reasons of course. Once a precedent is set that government can regulate the sale of private property between two individuals, then it opens the door to government regulation of all sales of private property between individuals.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:14 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Well in that case, let's stock vending machines with guns. No need for background checks or really any check when it comes to buying a gun.

That is basically what you are saying right now. Buying a gun should be easier than buying a pack of gum.
You must have never purchased a gun before.

The vast majority of gun purchasers pass a background check before buying a gun. Why don't you learn about the current regulations before spouting off about things you don't know.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:13 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
At least be factually accurate, they're supporting an extension not an improvement. The same method of background check is performed now for commercial sales as would be performed if this passes, it just will be more broadly applied.

If you're focused on the weeds you might see it that way, but it's permitting government to regulate the sales between private citizens. Let's hope that you're so for this when you are required to sell your used car to a dealer for under market value (because someone lobbied to end private sales of motorvehicles), or homes require the use of real estate agents both for public safety reasons of course. Once a precedent is set that government can regulate the sale of private property between two individuals, then it opens the door to government regulation of all sales of private property between individuals.
I bought a home recently and it had to be registered in my name and I pay taxes. I have bought cars for many years and all have been registered. I have bought and sold several gun and there were no regulations. So what you are saying is a transaction requiring a licensing office similar to the county or a private office with cars or the county office with property is "big brother" when it comes to guns? By the way when I sold or bought cars I didnt go through a dealer and they were all registered.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:18 PM

140 posts, read 126,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Declined a debate. Why would you decline a debate if the facts and logic were on your side, on an issue about which you were passionate?

It appears that Gottlieb is eager to grapple, while Gates is afraid.

Who is gottlieb and why should Gates care?

Can you Imagine how many nut-jobs attempt to contact Bill Gates for one reason or another?

Old 08-30-2014, 05:44 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I bought a home recently and it had to be registered in my name and I pay taxes. I have bought cars for many years and all have been registered. I have bought and sold several gun and there were no regulations.
How? There are only a few states that this is possible. For example, here in Cali any sale has to go through an FFL. You can sell privately, but then you and the buyer have to go to an FFL dealer, they do a BG check on your buyer, and then after a wait period the transfer is made to the new owner.

PLEASE stop blowing smoke up our a$$es.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You must have never purchased a gun before.

The vast majority of gun purchasers pass a background check before buying a gun. Why don't you learn about the current regulations before spouting off about things you don't know.
These people are ignorant of the facts. They want to believe there are few BG checks when the truth is the exact opposite. What they fail to understand is that I-594 has more to do with overreach and intrusion than BG checks.

FACT: “The state’s largest and most respected law enforcement organizations, representing more than 7,500 rank-and-file officers, oppose I-594,”

Why would law enforcement officers oppose a good law? Oops, it isn't a good law!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies