Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 02:26 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Exactly, but tech only catching up to the poor workers when reality says that todays computers can make business decisions and do bookkeeping etc, thus kind of eliminating the need for upper management positions, but guess what? The wages of this people keep rising and you don't see them on the unemployment line. Privilege.

I used to do the accounting, inventory and bookkeeping of my business as part of my duties. Now a computer does it.
Then the answer should be obvious: Learn how to repair or program the danged computers. Look for opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 02:28 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
18% mortgages ? High inflation ?
Hardly "prosperous" unless you had money and locked into CD's paying 18% interest.
Those starting out didn't and scrimped.
Exactly. My mortgage was a cool 13%. I sent three kids to college. Maybe those in their 60's now had it made but I am 71 and had to work really hard and put in a whole lot of hours to build my business and raise my family.

But it is really tough now, right? LOL!!

Old 08-30-2014, 06:29 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
No, luck had absolutely nothing to do with my success. Stupidity may have though. I may have simply been too stupid to realize that I might have failed. I never even thought I might fail. Failure was not an option or a consideration.
Did you start out with $100,000 of student debt? How much was that first house? $50,000? What was your income in 'real' dollars? There hasn't been a real increase in buying power since the '70's, while everything has gone up. Plenty of people think they 'won't fail'...until they do. You grew up and came of age in a prosperous time...plenty of people who also grew up then failed. Are you so wonderful that you never made a mistake? I'm thinking good luck -- no major health set-backs, no natural disaster -- had an awful lot to do with it.

You can claim you were 'good' or 'smart' but what happens when something does happen to you? Are you suddenly no long 'good' or 'smart'?

See, there's a danger in ascribing your good fortune solely to your own efforts. Karma is indeed a b*tch. Please don't think I'm hoping anything bad happens to you. I hope you go on being 100% sure of your own infallibility right to the end. But a little tiny acknowledgment that maybe fate was kind to you would not come amiss.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:41 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I'm not referring to college kids, just Joe the entry level employee.
Joe is responsible for Joe.

Your employer is not responsible for paying you what you "need". Like you, they have the freedom (so far) to shop around for the best deal. An employee is a huge expense.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Having written a few paychecks in my life, I'd like to remind you, that the purpose of hiring people is to make a profit. If you cannot make a profit hiring someone, you won't hire someone.

Further, the purpose of being in business is to make a profit.

Given those two facts, your argument seems to be critical of the idea of being in business, without consulting YOU as to what level of profit should be made. Again, explain to me why you think you have ANY right to deny someone a job, because you don't think people with skill sets below a certain value should be employed.
Exactly.

Starting a business requires 2 things.....a passion for what you do and tremendous sacrifice.

Once the need for employees begins, there are many considerations, not the least of which is the value placed on labor.

Anyone with a marketable skill is worth more than one without. and having a college degree in no way makes you marketable.

No one starts a business thinking about anything but profit.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
No. Joe the average guy with high school diploma. Look, I worked for a large corporation for 1 1/2 years, I did not ask for a raise on purpose, to see if they would give me one voluntarily, they didn't and probably wouldn't. They claimed they cared about their employees, but did very little for them. They paid Chevy wages and expected Cadillac work, which I find very typical of all of them.
Since you're so qualified, why not start your own business?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Exactly.

Starting a business requires 2 things.....a passion for what you do and tremendous sacrifice.

Once the need for employees begins, there are many considerations, not the least of which is the value placed on labor.

Anyone with a marketable skill is worth more than one without. and having a college degree in no way makes you marketable.

No one starts a business thinking about anything but profit.
Thats not true i startted my business because i wantted to make a difference and help others, sure profits are important, can't run my business without it but its second to the love of what i do.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Thats not true i startted my business because i wantted to make a difference and help others, sure profits are important, can't run my business without it but its second to the love of what i do.
How many of your employees earn more than you?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:52 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
How many of your employees earn more than you?
Alot since i deal with sales and commissions and hr wages. Not everyday i am mr salesman of the year lol.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Alot since i deal with sales and commissions and hr wages. Not everyday i am mr salesman of the year lol.
I call BS on your entire premise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies