Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:55 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,712,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I call BS on your entire premise.
Why and how so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 05:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,940,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Never mind that as you are in your 60's means you 'came of age' in a very prosperous time. I'm sure you made the most of your opportunities...but the opportunities were there.

Where are they now? Is some kid coming of age *now* supposed to do what you did minus those opportunities?

Ever think that maybe luck had quite a bit to do with your success?
When I got started interest rates were 12%. Unemployment was 7.5% and inflation was 13%.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So either you didnt realize that this is all you posted on the last page, or you are asking us to read through 80 pages to find your point. no one is going to do that.

So lets make a compromise, simply state some example for us to debate over.

You know what I am saying. I've been saying it for years.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
What made our economy strong those years when we switched from manufacturing to service base economy was the purchaseing power of our workers. We seen a weaking of this start in the late 1970s when the trend of inequal pay startted. Wages of the upper income levels have risen in pay by leaps and bounds and the middle class and poor wages have stagnantted or gone down. The purchaseing power of middle class and poor is what runs our economic welbeing.
Which says what? The problem is not wages but rather a lack of jobs. Obama is itching to make that even worse.

GE celebrates workers while moving their jobs to China

Old 08-31-2014, 07:16 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,732,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Quote:
Having written a few paychecks in my life
, I'd like to remind you, that the purpose of hiring people is to make a profit. If you cannot make a profit hiring someone, you won't hire someone.

Further, the purpose of being in business is to make a profit.

Given those two facts, your argument seems to be critical of the idea of being in business, without consulting YOU as to what level of profit should be made. Again, explain to me why you think you have ANY right to deny someone a job, because you don't think people with skill sets below a certain value should be employed.
Did you make it worth their while?

Old 08-31-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Why should they? They give them a job. Entry level positions are usually a dime-a-dozen type jobs anyway. If the entry level job seeker isn't satisfied with the salary offered, he/she are free to go elsewhere and seek their entry level fortune. It's not a company's responsibility to cater to an employee.
No it isn't, but they must have a need for them, at least make it worth their while to show up.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Quote:
I would be willing to bet you that the increase in food costs are a
direct byproduct of food stamps.

I also agree that my own home insurance policy's face amount is some $70K more than what the local realtors claim they could get for my house yet my insurance company swears that is the amount it would cost them to rebuild my house. I do get some tax breaks on my house because I get the homestead exemption and am over 65 years of age.

Indeed it is more difficult to go into business now than it was back when I went into business but it is still being done. It would be difficult for anyone to have enough money laid back to see themselves and their families though say a year's time while starting and getting their business on a stable footing. It should continue to be something to work for though because the payoff sure beats working for someone else and hoping for a thirty cents an hour pay raise.
I would argue that point, increase in food prices is a direct result of the increase in fuel prices, everything we buy at the store has to be delivered by truck and when fuel prices go up, they pass on the cost by increasing the food price or a fuel surcharge, which is also passed on in the end. What I would like you to explain is how food stamps increase food prices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies