Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 05:08 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times

Advertisements

Is there any evidence that the gasoline killed her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 05:08 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Let's place blame where it belongs. It is government economic policy that is largely to blame (and specifically Obamacare) for the "part-time" economy, and loss of good jobs. It is NOT the fault of corporations.

This is the Obama economy. Blame HIM!
Obamacare is a gift to Big Pharma and Insurance to prop them up.
They do not want to take a paycut and want everyone else to pay for it under the other "team" under the guise of being for the people. Costs will continue to go up

Old 09-01-2014, 05:15 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
WRONG! The Constitution promises "Life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness. It does not guarantee you will receive happiness, but you have the right to pursue happiness.
Wrong. The constitution does not promise "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." It's to form a more perfect union, to establish justice, to insure domestic tranquility, to provide for the common defense, to promote the general welfare, and to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity. Nowhere does it mention "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

Old 09-01-2014, 05:53 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
All those things are by-products of a centrally planned economy. Stop looking at the state as a provider and more like the parasite that it is.
We live in a nation in which corporate entities have unchecked control over everything from the employment markets to the money supply, and you talk of a "centrally planned economy". The only thing centrally planned in this country is that the two capitalist parties that run it will always make sure that those moneyed interests are maintained.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:31 AM

59,042 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Dunkin' Donuts Worker's Death Reveals The True Cost Of Our Low-Wage, Part-Time Economy

So here we have a women working 4 jobs motivated to better herself living on 3 hours of sleep a day and dies.

All so that Corporate Lobbyists, Investors and Banks can continue to reap the world from their Foreign and Domestic Economic policies they wrote up to pass on to their puppets in DC.
Quite a stretch from what really happened.

Let's see "a chilling reminder of the struggle low-wage workers, particularly women," Sexist a bit aren't you?

I though the modern woman was for equal right and can do anything a man can do.

Because she worked 4 jobs. Corporate lobbyists are to blame.

How about because she was STUPID and didn't secure the gas can?

Typical liberal. It is NEVER the persons fault. Blame someone else.

Post fail!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:12 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
It's very sad that this young woman died.

That being said, I have a hard time believing this is the "true cost of our low-wage, part-time economy." Here's why:

1. The minimum wage in New Jersey is $8.25 per hour.
2. If I go by the data in the article, she's working at least 70 hours per week.
3. $8.25 x 70 x 52 = $30,030 per year, and it's likely that she's making more than that.
4. She worked 40 hours at one Dunkin' Donuts, so she presumably has health insurance.
5. If you're working 70-80 hours per week, while that's a lot, you still have plenty of time to sleep.
6. She has no children.
7. Even though New Jersey is expensive, if you combine (3), (4), and (6), she's not in poverty.
8. She kept gas in her car. That's not smart. That was what resulted in her death.

It seems like this woman probably enjoyed the life she was living in some capacity. Some people do, and that's okay. She might be a part-time, low-wage worker, but I don't think that's what killed her.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:16 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Dunkin' Donuts Worker's Death Reveals The True Cost Of Our Low-Wage, Part-Time Economy

So here we have a women working 4 jobs motivated to better herself living on 3 hours of sleep a day and dies.

All so that Corporate Lobbyists, Investors and Banks can continue to reap the world from their Foreign and Domestic Economic policies they wrote up to pass on to their puppets in DC.

Time to make the donuts!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

I have seen a lot of really off the wall posts here and other places: I have been people put all kinds of blame on all kinds of things, but this has to be the worst. It would almost be funny, if it weren't so sad. Min wage, part time employment etc. has nothing to do with this. She was sleeping in her car and there was gas leakage apparently; and you or the H.Post is going to blame her min wage job for her death. It is a tragic situation, my heart goes out to her and her family, that certainly doesn't mean it is the fault of min part time jobs. I suppose you think everyone shold be making $15 an hour and guaranteed full time employment? This might be the case, for people who have skills. These part time jobs are designed for those who are entering the work force or want a few extra $$S, not for people to try and survive on.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:24 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So someone taking a nap in a car is now to be blaimed on minimum wage?

I've taken a nap in my car on very busy hectic work days and I make far more than minimum wage, I guess I need the government to give me some more money now as well.
Do you have to work multiple jobs to make ends meet? Or do you work more than 60 hours a week? Which if that last one is the case you may want to re-examine how much you actually earn.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:38 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Wrong. The constitution does not promise "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." It's to form a more perfect union, to establish justice, to insure domestic tranquility, to provide for the common defense, to promote the general welfare, and to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity. Nowhere does it mention "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
Yep. It's the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies