Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:12 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,423,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
My thread isn't a separatism idea. It's going to areas that have an overwhelming majority of black people, and put businesses there to keep the money in house. Essentially forming a Blacktown. If anyone has a problem with that and call it reverse racism, you also have to call out Chinatowns/Koreatowns/Litte Italys/etc.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:13 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,073,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justw8 View Post
It was a joke lol she identifies as white but she definitely associates with "black" issues. She grew up in the worst housing projects in the country her husband and family are all black and her children are black.
I am not sure I would agree that cabrini greens was the worst in the country, but that is a different debate. That is sad, that her children are only black, which means she still believes this country should follow the old jim crow laws. Her children are not black, they are black and white both.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
My thread isn't a separatism idea. It's going to areas that have an overwhelming majority of black people, and put businesses there to keep the money in house. Essentially forming a Blacktown. If anyone has a problem with that and call it reverse racism, you also have to call out Chinatowns/Koreatowns/Litte Italys/etc.
When did I call it reverse racism?

Old 08-31-2014, 05:16 PM

222 posts, read 185,241 times
The way society sees them - they're black. Biologically yes they're mixed but no one calls Barack the first MIXED president no one calls Halle berry the first MIXED actress to win the oscar for best female. In a utopia their racial make up wouldn't even matter but we are all very aware what they are considered by a large segment of society.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:17 PM

28,623 posts, read 18,673,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Back in the day even an "octoroon" was considered "Black" in the old Jim Crow states. In 2014; nope. Especially those who are def "anglo white" in looks AND claim "white" as their race.
There may have been more biracials 200 years ago, but during the 20th century, there certainly were not. Two hundred years ago, it was possible for a white man to sire black children and even acknowledge them without losing his "white card." That was not possible during the 20th century--a white man who acknowledged black children lost his "white card." (And let's not speak of a white woman who bore a black child). A biracial child in those days did not enjoy any of his white parent's "white privilege" because even the white parent lost it. Even where an interracial marriage was legal, the social pressure against it was brutal.

Miscegenation was illegal in most US states at some point of another--specifically and always at least, intermarriage between blacks and whites (not always between whites and other races). A light-skinned black person 50 years ago was almost always the result of the genetic dice roll between a black mother and a black father (or perhaps a careful "never marry anyone darker than you" self-eugenics program).

After interracial marriages became legal across the nation in the late 60s, the 1970s saw a spike in interracial marriages, and white parents didn't lose their "white card" by acknowledging their children. This was a huge difference for those children.

Being biracial is not the same thing as being a light-skinned black.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
okay keep telling yourself that. When you have the op of at least one of those threads wanting all black people to go live separate from all other skin colors, and to completely rule themselves, what would you call it?
What's your malfunction? Read the OP's opening posts on both threads and it's clear that neither thread is about black separatism.

You WANT it to be in order to buttress already held ideas that you hold, but you're waaaaay off

Old 08-31-2014, 05:20 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,452,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Really? On C-D? Which ones?

Is that because you're critical of separatism because don't believe blacks can function in a separate society or because you don't believe "whitey is a racist?"
Maybe it's because there is just no need for a separate black nation. White people watch Oprah, white people voted for Obama, white people listen to rap and blues, white people watch the mostly black athletes in the NBA, etc. American culture is not white culture. American culture is American culture and has nothing to do with skin color.

If black separatism was ever a good idea, it was a good idea in the 1950s of before. Not now. Then it could perhaps have avoided the suffering and violence of the civil rights era. But at this point the nation has gotten through that dark time. At this point it would be like taking a flu shot after you've already gotten over the flu. The sickness is over now, there's no need to vaccinate against it anymore.

It's true that the black community is lagging behind the white community. But that's not due to racism, so therefore separating the races won't help it. And it has nothing to do with black people not being capable of surviving in a separate society. If we split off 10% of the white people into a separate society, they'd be worse off too. No segment of America splitting off would be better than they are now.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justw8 View Post
The way society sees them - they're black. Biologically yes they're mixed but no one calls Barack the first MIXED president no one calls Halle berry the first MIXED actress to win the oscar for best female. In a utopia their racial make up wouldn't even matter but we are all very aware what they are considered by a large segment of society.
only by those who are stuck in the jim crow era. you can search these threads and find people calling our horrible president the first biracial black/white president. . yes you will find people who call Halle Berry mixed. So, because some people want to still live in the days of jim crow, you figure, hey might as well join them. I guess it is a good thing many people were not like you and wanted to do something about those laws, which included the one drop rule.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:23 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Post the threads promoting black separatism. I haven't seen even one.

I'll wait.
Not surprised.

I've accused you of not having the necessary reading skills to participate in this forum before .. guess I was correct?

Hope you didn't have to wait too long, I was enjoying life.

You can search for the others.

Some are still on the first page .. like this one .. The Formation of Blacktowns

Old 08-31-2014, 06:26 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,824,656 times
Quote:
You beat me to it as you can see by my very late post.

Thanks anyway.

(rep your way)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.