Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:25 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times

Advertisements

Why can't we Libruls do the same?

Why is one of the most socially conservative areas (West Virginia) so damned poor? I thought conservatism was supposed to be the harbinger of wealth and social responsibility.

EDIT: I have nothing against West Virginia and Appalachia. They have their reasons for being that way, and I'm not gonna pick on them, the same way I expect people not to pick on Southern States like Mississippi and Alabama.

What I am here to pick on is why a red state is so poor just like people on the other side use certain blue states to pick on the Democrat Party.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:51 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,736 times
West Virginia is hard to compare with any other state. Voters there it appears to me are more than willing to vote for who ever supports coal mining. The trouble now is that coal is being displaced by natural gas, wind, solar and even coal from Montana and Wyoming. Democrats are on the losing end of the shift because most would rather not see some kid with asthma choking on air pollution while Republicans think more deaths from smog is a small price to pay even if its children dying from asthma.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:10 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
West Virginia is hard to compare with any other state. Voters there it appears to me are more than willing to vote for who ever supports coal mining. The trouble now is that coal is being displaced by natural gas, wind, solar and even coal from Montana and Wyoming. Democrats are on the losing end of the shift because most would rather not see some kid with asthma choking on air pollution while Republicans think more deaths from smog is a small price to pay even if its children dying from asthma.
That's the way Republicans see the earthquakes in Oklahoma. Even though earthquakes may be caused by oil drilling companies, it's a small price to pay to have some kind of industry with jobs to offer in Oklahoma, along with more campaign money going from the oil companies to the Republicans. So shutting down oil company drilling to see if it will stop the earthquakes is totally out of the question.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:22 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Yeah, and the rest of us are all serial killers.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

Why is one of the most socially conservative areas (West Virginia) so damned poor? I thought conservatism was supposed to be the harbinger of wealth and social responsibility.

EDIT: I have nothing against West Virginia and Appalachia. They have their reasons for being that way, and I'm not gonna pick on them, the same way I expect people not to pick on Southern States like Mississippi and Alabama.

What I am here to pick on is why a red state is so poor just like people on the other side use certain blue states to pick on the Democrat Party.
What party does the Governor of WV belong to and how about Jay R. last I checked he was a democrat? How about the last 10 governors of WV< I think most have been Democrats, so, tell us again, what are you talking about?

Old 09-01-2014, 05:53 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:

Unions.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:

"Why is one of the most socially conservative areas (West Virginia) so damned poor?"

Probable because the seem to vote in democrats most of the time.

How long have dems like Robert Byrd and Jay Rockefeller been their Senators?

Who was the last repub Senator?

Democrats also maintain strong positions in the state legislature and most local and state offices.

Typical liberal, don't take responsibility for ANYTHING and and when things go wrong, blame the OTHER party!

Looks like you are wrong on WHO is responsible, again!

Old 09-01-2014, 06:35 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
I thought conservatism was supposed to be the harbinger of wealth and social responsibility.
Quite the opposite. What is called "conservatism" today is essentially the veneration of self-centered self-interest and abrogation of social responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's the way Republicans see the earthquakes in Oklahoma. Even though earthquakes may be caused by oil drilling companies, it's a small price to pay to have some kind of industry with jobs to offer in Oklahoma, along with more campaign money going from the oil companies to the Republicans. So shutting down oil company drilling to see if it will stop the earthquakes is totally out of the question.
That goes hand-in-glove with the right-wing ethos of goodness stemming from having winner and losers, rather than the reality: that the fact that there shall be winners and losers imposes an extra challenge on an upstanding society, with a moral imperative to mitigate the inevitable as much as practicable.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,073 times
Quote:

House of Delegates 53% Dem....been majority Dem since 1928.

State Senate 75% Dem...been majority Dem for ages.

WV governor Early Ray Tomblin...Democrat.

So the entire state is Dem controlled and has been for almost 100 years...how is it a "red state"?

Old 09-01-2014, 06:45 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times
Quote:

hey look. it's someone who knows absolutely nothing about west virginia. I'm also gonna go ahead and guess that they are unaware that appalachia extends into NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies