Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 03:42 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times

Advertisements

^^^ Now THAT is funny +1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 08:27 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
I believe that additional Co2 over the next 60 years will warm the planet (to some extent). I don't believe that it will cause some apocalyptic warming and dying of the planet in the next 60 years... Sanspuer thinks that man adding co2 into the atmosphere is evil and can only harm the planet. Of course, that is pure lunacy.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:48 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I believe that additional Co2 over the next 60 years will warm the planet (to some extent). I don't believe that it will cause some apocalyptic warming and dying of the planet in the next 60 years... Sanspuer thinks that man adding co2 into the atmosphere is evil and can only harm the planet. Of course, that is pure lunacy.
Are you psychic? If not how do you know what I think?....I'll tell you....I think that if we keep adding CO2 eventually (not in your time or mine, but in our grandchildren's time) at the very least, there will be a large cost to pay as the seas continue to rise and flood cities all over the planet....That is the legacy we are leaving for them.

I am Canadian and us Canadians generally don't have a "the me first attitude" that seems to prevail in the US.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:13 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Sea level rise is going to be expensive. A lot of people live within a few miles of the coast. Imagine the cost of relocating all our port cities inland about 25 miles. As Ben Franklin told us "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Old 09-08-2014, 10:15 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Just read the OP... I usually deny any case of sea rise because sea rise because of melting ice just doesn't show up in Norfolk, VA and nowhere else.

At least the article in the OP mentioned a rise in Antarctica, where the ice is located. That makes sense.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:10 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just read the OP... I usually deny any case of sea rise because sea rise because of melting ice just doesn't show up in Norfolk, VA and nowhere else.

At least the article in the OP mentioned a rise in Antarctica, where the ice is located. That makes sense.

What the article actually says is that the rise in sea-level has been higher in parts of the Antarctic where salinity levels are lower. The reason is that fresh water isn't as dense as saltwater(even though it has the same mass).

Basically it means, if you had a balloon full of freshwater and a balloon full of saltwater of exactly the same weight, the freshwater balloon would be larger in diameter. What that means in relation to this article is that sea-level rise will be greater in the areas where the salinity level is lower than where it is higher.

Thus the increased sea-level rise in Antarctica relative to the rest of the world by itself is completely and utterly meaningless. What we actually need to know is whether or not the salinity level near Antarctica is staying the same or going down. If it is staying the same then this article is completely meaningless. If the salinity level is going down, that means there is a significant increase in freshwater. Which would mean a significant increase in either precipitation on and/or near Antarctica(which we already know is happening), or a significant increase in melting ice.

The truth is, both of these are what is happening, but you need to be careful about jumping to any conclusions about why it is happening and what it means. The truth is, the ice-sheets have been melting a long time, and will continue to melt regardless of the existence of humans. The only real argument is about how much faster the ice is melting as a result of human activity, and what that means to life on Earth.

This article doesn't really add anything to that discussion because it says nothing and explains nothing. The data it provides cannot be used to draw any meaningful conclusions whatsoever.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:17 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
The global sea level is increasing.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:19 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
The ocean temperature is rising, which is the cause of the increase of sea ice in the Antarctic. (Warm water freezes more readily than cold water.)

Old 09-08-2014, 12:58 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
The ocean temperature is rising, which is the cause of the increase of sea ice in the Antarctic. (Warm water freezes more readily than cold water.)
thank you thank you thank you....

I am soo very happy that you have said this. Not because you are right (you arent).... but because being wrong, you show just how little you know about physics..... which means you are quite equal to the average CAGW freakout artists....

giggle. warm water freezes more readily than cold water... hahahahaha....

(and yes I am aware of the Mpemba effect)

Old 09-08-2014, 03:25 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Actually one of the reasons sea ice is growing in the Antarctic is because of the huge influx of fresh water from land ice entering the ocean...Fresh water is less dense than sea water so remains on the surface for a time, and freezes at 32 degrees, compared to sea water that freezes at -28 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies